Not alowed to upgrade

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
My dad gave me a choice between a dual core i7 4gb ram laptop or a older quad core i7 6gb 512mb vga pc

since im a hardware hungry person that likes to upgrade the hardware often (all pocket money goes to the cause) i chose the pc but there was a catch i didnt notice my dad has all his work and programs on the pc and he has vista and xp preinstalled all which i cant remove and he will be able to use the pc at anytime,
that didnt bother me much since i was allowed to install win-7
but now I want to upgrade my win-7 copy to
win-8 but he told me no because he has some programs installed on win-7 and he was afraid it would damage the boot sequence, I told that upgrading from windows 7 to 8 doesnt effect pograms and files and only changes the boot screen look, and I bought the win-8 dvd already and running it from a vvox.
but he still holding firm on his choice,
Any body have ideas to make rethink his choice?

Solution
Directly upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 shouldn't affect the boot sequence, but if you're that concerned you can always modify the sequence as much as you like.
Start Menu -> Run -> type "msconfig" and then go to the boot section.
Or Windows key + R and type "msconfig".

Either way, should be pretty simple.

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
if you want to run 8 then run a VM, it keep your stuff separate from his.
I am but i want to be able to use it as a main os (i saved up for touch screen) and really enjoy the new interface and i already but the dvd

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

as i told u b4 hes afraid of damaging the boot sequence
and there are 3 currently installed os'es motherboard is a gigabyte EX-58

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Directly upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 shouldn't affect the boot sequence, but if you're that concerned you can always modify the sequence as much as you like.
Start Menu -> Run -> type "msconfig" and then go to the boot section.
Or Windows key + R and type "msconfig".

Either way, should be pretty simple.

Solution
Sounds like it's time to save the upgrade money and get a new system of your own with the $ instead of using his !! (seeing that he still has all of his work on 3 different Oses on that system and has access to it any time he wants and decides what can and can not be installed\changed -- it is not your PC !!)

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

firstly win-7 is 100% mine (password protected etc) I have the biggest partition also password protected
secondly my allowance is 21.5845usd or 132 egp and since i live in egypt and everything new is overpriced so i have to buy it from amazon or newegg
and i know its practically not my pc

a few years ago I brought an 'icybox' hdd dock, which had the ability to turn a HDD on or off.
if your father's OS was on a hdd in such a dock and it was the first boot option when off it would be bypassed, when on it would be first boot. Hence his 'half' of the system would be 'safe' and you could do what you want, this relies on you having multiple HDD's.

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

thnx. my dad just needed to hear it from someone other than me. And he told me when the new version of the software he uses comes out he will let me upgrade