Pavillion overheating - any ideas?

Kate

I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
disk which according to the website can cause this.

It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next to
it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.

What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
whatever it might be?]

Kate

email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
intruders to reply.

kate wrote:
> I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
> disk which according to the website can cause this.
>
> It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next
> to it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
> computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
>
> What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
> whatever it might be?]
>
> Kate
>
> email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
> intruders to reply.

The problem as you have illustrated with the side off is that there is
simply not enough air flow into the case. An internal fan will offer
little to solve the problem since it circulates already warm air, not
supplying net cool air. If there is a spare power plug for another fan,
another case fan is the long-term solution. If you are handy with
tools, it's a hole saw cut into the case and four pilot holes for
mounting screws.

Kate: As a first simple solution, you might try optaining and
installing a slot fan. Several are available at:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=804
for example.
In particular look at:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=664350&CatId=804

Skip Knoble, Penn State

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:22:56 -0000, "kate" <seesig@invalid.invalid> wrote:

-|I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
-|disk which according to the website can cause this.
-|
-|It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next to
-|it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
-|computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
-|
-|What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
-|whatever it might be?]
-|
-|Kate
-|
-|email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
-|intruders to reply.
-|
-|
-|

Herman D. (Skip) Knoble, Research Associate
(a computing professional for 38 years)
Email: SkipKnobleLESS at SPAMpsu dot edu
Web: http://www.personal.psu.edu/hdk
Penn State Information Technology Services
Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
Graduate Education and Research Services
Penn State University
214C Computer Building
University Park, PA 16802-21013
Phone:+1 814 865-0818 Fax:+1 814 863-7049

Or even remove the guts from the Pavilion case and put them into another larger
case with sufficient air flow. A micro tower Pavilion chassis does not have
that much air inside to begin with. A mini tower is a little better, but both
are cramped as can be to work on. The air inside feels equally cramped when it
tries to move around... Ben Myers

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:27:21 -0700, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

>kate wrote:
>> I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
>> disk which according to the website can cause this.
>>
>> It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next
>> to it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
>> computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
>>
>> What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
>> whatever it might be?]
>>
>> Kate
>>
>> email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
>> intruders to reply.
>
>The problem as you have illustrated with the side off is that there is
>simply not enough air flow into the case. An internal fan will offer
>little to solve the problem since it circulates already warm air, not
>supplying net cool air. If there is a spare power plug for another fan,
>another case fan is the long-term solution. If you are handy with
>tools, it's a hole saw cut into the case and four pilot holes for
>mounting screws.

Kate

"Herman D. Knoble" <SkipKnobleLESS@SPAMpsu.DOT.edu> wrote in message
> Kate: As a first simple solution, you might try optaining and
> installing a slot fan. Several are available at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=804
> for example.
> In particular look at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6
64350&CatId=804

Thanks for the links. It would be easier and quicker if I could find a
UK supplier though.

> Or even remove the guts from the Pavilion case and put them into another
larger
> case with sufficient air flow. A micro tower Pavilion chassis does not
have
> that much air inside to begin with. A mini tower is a little better, but
both
> are cramped as can be to work on. The air inside feels equally cramped
when it
> tries to move around... Ben Myers

That does look like the long-term solution but it's a bit disappointing to
have to do a complete rebuild.

There is a lot of space in the bottom of the case. As a temporary measure
I am running the second hard drive outside the drive cage. The cables are
almost, but not quite, long enough for the drive to sit in the bottom of
the case. I have it standing on a piece of polystyrene at the moment which
I know is not feasible for any length of time. The drive is getting warm
but the machine ran quite happily for several hours yesterday without
the domestic fan next to it.

> kate wrote:
> > I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
> > disk which according to the website can cause this.
> >
> > It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next
> > to it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
> > computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
> >
> > What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
> > whatever it might be?]
> >
> > Kate
> >
> > email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
> > intruders to reply.
>
> The problem as you have illustrated with the side off is that there is
> simply not enough air flow into the case. An internal fan will offer
> little to solve the problem since it circulates already warm air, not
> supplying net cool air. If there is a spare power plug for another fan,
> another case fan is the long-term solution. If you are handy with
> tools, it's a hole saw cut into the case and four pilot holes for
> mounting screws.

> Kate

There are no spare power plugs but I could use a splitter [2 into
1] extension cable. Or might that overload the power supply?

Kate

email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
intruders to reply.

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

You don't mention the model of the computer. That might help folks give
other suggestions.

Have you verified that the existing fans are working proerly and aren't
clogged with dust?

craigm

"kate" <seesig@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> > kate wrote:
> > > I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
> > > disk which according to the website can cause this.
> > >
> > > It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next
> > > to it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
> > > computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
> > >
> > > What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
> > > whatever it might be?]
> > >
> > > Kate
> > >
> > > email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
> > > intruders to reply.
> >
> > The problem as you have illustrated with the side off is that there is
> > simply not enough air flow into the case. An internal fan will offer
> > little to solve the problem since it circulates already warm air, not
> > supplying net cool air. If there is a spare power plug for another fan,
> > another case fan is the long-term solution. If you are handy with
> > tools, it's a hole saw cut into the case and four pilot holes for
> > mounting screws.

> > Kate
>
> There are no spare power plugs but I could use a splitter [2 into
> 1] extension cable. Or might that overload the power supply?
>

> Kate
>
> email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
> intruders to reply.

A power cable splitter will work. Also, according to the IDE ATAPI standard,
the cable length limit is 18 inches. If your IDE cable is shorter, see if you
can find an 18 incher... Ben Myers

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:23:48 -0000, "kate" <seesig@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
>> kate wrote:
>> > I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
>> > disk which according to the website can cause this.
>> >
>> > It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next
>> > to it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
>> > computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
>> >
>> > What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
>> > whatever it might be?]
>> >
>> > Kate
>> >
>> > email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
>> > intruders to reply.
>>
>> The problem as you have illustrated with the side off is that there is
>> simply not enough air flow into the case. An internal fan will offer
>> little to solve the problem since it circulates already warm air, not
>> supplying net cool air. If there is a spare power plug for another fan,
>> another case fan is the long-term solution. If you are handy with
>> tools, it's a hole saw cut into the case and four pilot holes for
>> mounting screws.

>> Kate
>
>There are no spare power plugs but I could use a splitter [2 into
>1] extension cable. Or might that overload the power supply?
>

>Kate
>
>email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
>intruders to reply.

Si

>I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
> disk which according to the website can cause this.
>
> It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next to
> it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
> computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
>
> What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
> whatever it might be?]
>
> Kate

Which model is it - I'm thinking of adding an extra HD to my 733.uk

Si.

Kate

"Si" <si@nospamforme.com> wrote in message

> "kate" <seesig@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another hard
> > disk which according to the website can cause this.
> >
> > It runs fine with the side off and a normal domestic fan placed next to
> > it but I really need something I can put inside the case. My local
> > computer shop does not carry PCI slot fans.
> >
> > What else could I use? [And do you know any UK suppliers of
> > whatever it might be?]
> >
> > Kate
> >

> Which model is it - I'm thinking of adding an extra HD to my 733.uk
>
> Si.

It's a 723.uk so probably quite similar unless yours has a bigger case.

"craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> You don't mention the model of the computer. That might help folks give
> other suggestions.
>
> Have you verified that the existing fans are working proerly and aren't
> clogged with dust?
>
> craigm

It's a 723.uk and the existing fans are clean and working ok as far
as I can tell.

The 'disk in the bottom of the case' strategy seems to be working.
I may even put the side back on for a while today.

Kate

email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
intruders to reply.

No guys, it has two fans, the chassis fan blows air to the CPU, but
the CPU does have its own fan as well. My theory is that by having two
big fans blowing directly at the cpu, admittedly the CPU is nicely
chilled, but what the CPU considers chilled could result in the
heatsink acting more as a heating element for the rest of the machine,
and no ventilation for HDD/CDROM's.
Even HP aren't daft enough to leave off the HS/FAN combo. Although
some of the much older machines did (<800Mhz or so)

Let us know how u get on.
Chris

Jo

"kate" <seesig@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another
> hard disk which according to the website can cause this.

Kate,

Why do you think it is overheating? Have you tried running something
like SiSoft SANDRA to see if there are thermal sensor readings
available to confirm overheating or otherwise?

Hard disks don't consume a heck of a lot of power (20W?), so if
adding just one extra drive takes it into overheating, the thermal
design must be a bit close to the limit. Bear in mind it must cope
with a sweltering summer's day when the ambient may be 15degC
higher...

> >> So, you've not put the duct back on - since fitting the new drive?
> >>
> >> Have you ACTUALLY tried running it WITH the duct back on?
> >>
> >> Si.

Yes. That's when the overheating occurred.

> > If the processor heatsink has no fan directly attached to it, then the
> > system relies upon a fan blowing air on the heatsink to cool the
processor
> > properly. So, if the processor heatsink has no fan and you have not put
> > the
> > duct back on, then you can expect overheating.
> >
> > craigm
> >

> Exactly my thoughts on the matter. If the OP has not replaced the duct,
then
> the processor is no longer receiving direct cooling from the intake fan...

I replaced everything as instructed in the manual. I removed the plastic
duct again when I needed to get to the drive again to remove it from the
cage.
As I do not consider the problem to be solved yet I have not replaced it.
There is no overheating at the moment.

Kate

email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
intruders to reply.

> Si.

Kate

"Jo" <rty@invalid.jp> wrote in message
> "kate" <seesig@invalid.invalid> wrote in
>
> > I know why it's overheating - I think. I've just added another
> > hard disk which according to the website can cause this.
> >

> Kate,
>
> Why do you think it is overheating? Have you tried running something
> like SiSoft SANDRA to see if there are thermal sensor readings
> available to confirm overheating or otherwise?

I downloaded and ran SANDRA which provided lots of interesting info
but there didn't seem to be anything on thermal sensor readings.

The indications of overheating were lots of noise and chattering from
the disk and some train siren like noises which according to posts
elsewhere on usenet relate to overheating. And a singed rubber like
smell.

> Hard disks don't consume a heck of a lot of power (20W?), so if
> adding just one extra drive takes it into overheating, the thermal
> design must be a bit close to the limit. Bear in mind it must cope
> with a sweltering summer's day when the ambient may be 15degC
> higher...

For my next move I've installed a different extra hard drive - in case
it was the new hard disk that was at fault and not the Pavillion. I've
replaced everything including the white plastic hood as per HP
instructions. For the moment I'm leaving the plastic cover off the
front of the machine because that prevents the air getting to the front
venting holes. The side is on and for the moment it seems to be
running quite happily but the ambient temperature in the UK has
dropped like a stone over the past couple of days.

I'll keep you all informed!

"Synkro" <cjw@orange-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> No guys, it has two fans, the chassis fan blows air to the CPU, but
> the CPU does have its own fan as well. My theory is that by having two
> big fans blowing directly at the cpu, admittedly the CPU is nicely
> chilled, but what the CPU considers chilled could result in the
> heatsink acting more as a heating element for the rest of the machine,
> and no ventilation for HDD/CDROM's.
> Even HP aren't daft enough to leave off the HS/FAN combo. Although
> some of the much older machines did (<800Mhz or so)
>
> Let us know how u get on.
> Chris

See my reply to Jo. I'm keeping your 'fan surgery' option in reserve.
I'll run it for as long as possible over the weekend and see what
happens. I'm not entirely happy about going out and leaving it
switched on but it will be on any time when I'm around.

Kate

email is cha=t=elaine at li=ne= one dot n=et. Remove the
intruders to reply.

Right! Beware of running the system with a closed chassis in the comparatively
hot British summer.

Sandra won't provide any thermal info if the motherboard does not have any
thermal sensors. If the BIOS setup screens do not show thermal sensors and
temperatures, there aren't any. After all, a Pavilion is an inexpensive
computer, and a themal sensor adds to the price tag... Ben Myers