Your question

Accessing NTFS Via FAT32 3rd Party Software

Tags:
  • NTFS
  • Software
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 15, 2002 6:43:50 PM

This is a last ditch effort to get around having to reinstall W2k. Does anyone know of a third party software that can access NTFS via FAT32? I have exhausted every means to restoring a saved copy of my W2k registry onto my main system with no success.

I have done everything I know to do just to simply get into %systemroot%\System32\Config to restore a good copy of my backed up registry hive that I have copied out of Repair\Regback to another drive location.

When I trying booting into W2k the missing/corrupt hive being reported is: D:\Systemroot\System32\Config\Software. I will try and restore all hive if I can to avoid making matters worst. Not even my ERD was able to repair the error. Partition Magic checks the NTFS partition, only to report "No Errors". In Recovery Console not even Chkdsk could repair the error. All I need to do is restore a corrupt hive with a known good beackup.

So, this is what I have done via Recovery Console:

cd repair\regback

copy <i><b>file_name</i></b> D:\systemroot\system32\config

where <i><b>file_name</i></b> is the 5 registry hives I want to restore:

<b>Default
SAM
Security
Software
System</b>

NTFS said: "<b>Access Denied</b>"

So, I copied the 5 registry hive files to another drive on my system, and reattempted the procedure to copy/restore the registry in the %systemroot% directory, but keep getting the same message "Access Denied". **sigh** Something tells me that as an Administrator I should at least be able to defeat this security.

Someone told me the W2k is looking for the default Administrator and password and not a member of the admin group. Well, good ole wise me, changed the name of the default Administrator to something other that "Administrator". I guess this is why even though I can gain access to the partition, but get the access denied message because I am no longer the default Administrator. (I don't know what to think about that...sounds bogus to me) However, nevertheless I can't even copy my good registry back into the %systemroot% directory. *sigh*!! *sigh*!!

Everyone that I have talked to says the I'll have to reinstall W2k. Another thing that people are saying is that when I reinstall W2k it will not recognize any program that are installed. So, basically I'll be starting over from scratch.

Another thing I did was setup a NFFS/FAT32 dual boot on one of my other PC on my network in order to back door my main system to restore it's registry. This failed, because I had disabled file sharing on my main system before the crash. As you see, I have exhausted every means to restore without reinstalling.

Has anyone had to reinstall W2k on top of a botch registry and survived? Looking for some success stories now/second chance options. Any help most gladly appreciated.

<font color=purple><b>Listen twice as much as you Speak. Better yet, Think twice. :wink: </font color=purple></b>

More about : accessing ntfs fat32 3rd party software

September 16, 2002 11:34:52 AM

Quote:
Another thing that people are saying is that when I reinstall W2k it will not recognize any program that are installed. So, basically I'll be starting over from scratch.

This may not be necessarily so. I wouldn't worry too much about a re-install (I think what you are alluding to is "installing" over the existing \winnt folder).

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
September 16, 2002 12:38:35 PM

Quote:
(I think what you are alluding to is "installing" over the existing \winnt folder).

Exactly! Since my registry software hive is the problem, wouldn't it be neccessary to format and do a clean install to avoid conflicts later on?

<font color=purple><b>Listen twice as much as you Speak. Better yet, Think twice. :wink: </font color=purple></b>
Related resources
September 16, 2002 1:09:20 PM

I would try the "overlay" method first. Got nothing to lose.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
September 16, 2002 2:27:02 PM

Im sure I have a boot disk somewhere that allows access to ntfs, I'll look when I get home (about 4 hours time), if I forget, mail me!!

Dont you have an ERD ?

edit: email addy might be handy! calv@fuckyou.co.uk

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CALV on 09/16/02 11:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 16, 2002 4:42:37 PM

Yeah I have tried my ERD many times with no luck. I got a NTFS DOS boot disk from <A HREF="http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm" target="_new">here</A>, but that only gave me read only access. I did howerver, copy out a lot of minor but important files with that utility, but I am trying to restore my sofware hive from a current backup copy to avoid having to reinstall. So, I'll need access with read/write capabilities.

I tried already from the Recovery Console to copy from Repair\Reback to the %systemroot% but for some reason it is giving me the access denied message. I'm beginning to think that the only way is to reinstall W2k.

September 16, 2002 4:48:21 PM

Is the overlay option available on the CD? I never have to reinstall W2k, but I have reinstalled Win98 on top of itself many time.

I'm thinking that with the overlay method that I would have to reinstall every bit of software to rewrite the software hive. Isn't that correct?

September 17, 2002 9:07:11 AM

but you wouldnt be able to install 98 onto a ntfs partition, another idea may be partition magic to convert your drives to fat32 to do your recovery

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
September 17, 2002 5:41:26 PM

Great idea! Thanks CALV...now why didn't I think of that. :smile: I'll let you know how it goes.

September 18, 2002 4:05:34 AM

CALV, I tried it but PM said that there was an error in the conversion process and halted the operation. I must admit that was a good idea. Thanks anyway.

September 19, 2002 6:29:57 PM

Don't you have another win2k computer to put this drive into? Just pop it into another computer, and copy over the files you want that way. I just had to do this myself yesterday to replace a software hive on an NT4 box.
September 20, 2002 12:45:06 AM

I'll try it and let you know the outcome. Thanks for another good idea.

September 22, 2002 10:12:13 PM

It was a catch-22 decision, so I decided to format and do the clean install opposed to have to reinstall all the software and possible run into problems later. It's a done deal for now. Just a lot of work either way, but I'm taking my time. Thanks to all for the helpful advise.

!