Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PLEASE HELP--Finding a laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 20, 2010 1:23:12 AM

Hello. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to take a look at my post. I am having a really hard time on finding the right laptop for my specific needs.

- I am a gamer. Although I know no gamer would be caught dead with a gaming laptop, other than the fact they want to be like, "BAM IN YO' FACE! I GOT AN GAMING LAPTOP!" I need a gaming and for school work laptop (for college)

-I need a long battery life. I not only plan to game on my laptop, but i need it to last a long time through college classes of vigorous note taking and studying.

-Which brings me to my next factor. I need it to be light. I'm not a she-hulk. I can't be carrying a 10 lb laptop and 30 lbs or more worth of college books with me at once. I'd die XD.

-It cannot be Dell! I absolutely hate Dell. They've given me so many faulty computers and refused to fix them even under warranty, I just don't trust them anymore.

-I often play mmorpg's and fps's. I don't play wow, but things of that nature, and for the fps steam and heavy duty multi-player games.

-I do heavy graphic work and listen tons of music while doing it. So for games and graphics I need a dedicated graphics card.

-It can't be over $9,000--but seriously i need it to be no more than $1,000. I mean it can but if it gets to 2,000 Its pushing it.

Please help me. I'm so lost on where to search. I look at one brand, and go to a forum and people trash talk it. So i look at another it's too expensive! PLEASE HELP!

More about : finding laptop

March 20, 2010 1:29:30 AM

I forgot to suggest that i want high setting graphics and at least a 300gb hard drive min.

I also want to keep my laptop for more than 4 years.

I live in the USA.

I would prefer windows 7.

I can not buy Dell. I refuse to. Please don't even consider it in your search for me. Also Apple is okay, but not preferred due to the lack of compatibility of games that I wish to play and programs I use are not suited for it. I also do not like the way the computer is set up for me.

m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2010 4:04:11 PM

Thanks for taking a look at my post first of all. I don't really know what screen size I would like. I like big screens, but a 13-15 inch would be nice as well. I really do need it to be light as possible. Like I said, I'm not she-hulk and a high battery life is very important! I won't be able to keep it plugged in at my classes in school.
m
l
March 20, 2010 5:59:40 PM

sunnyangel, sorry, but u need to make a choice; either:-

- something light, with long battery life, and crappy performance - this will be upto 13 inches.
- something heavier, comparatively shorter battery life (2 - 4 hours, depending on usage) and gaming performance. 15 - 16 inches in size (any larger than 16 inches will be far too heavy in weight).

Im an expert in the second category, so i advise Asus, Toshiba or Sony (i dont know anything about how their service is, i just know on average their laptops are the most reliable over long-term).
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/most-least-reliable-no...

And also, NOTHING will last you for 4 years in this field; u either get something in the middle (about USD 680 - 950) and change it every 1 – 1.5 years, or something high-end (about USD 1400) that u’ll need to change every 2 – 3 years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I did a search according to specs that suit what you have required, and the above is what was found.

NOTE: if you like any of the above, but need slightly different specs, go over to their website and customize your selection.

BTW – the Core i5-520M is a Dual Core with a CPU manufactured on a 32 nm process, while the Core i7-720QM is a Quad Core manufactured on a 45 nm process, so the Quad Core uses more power due to:-
1 - The increased number of cores.
2 - Less efficient nm fabrication process.

Whatever laptop u but, I advise certainly getting:-
1 – 4 GB of ram.
2 – a 500 GB, 7200 rpm hard drive.
3 – it almost certainly won’t come in the case, but I advise buying a laptop backpack – not too expensive, keeps the laptop safe and you can put a number of books in it.

Gd luck.

Peace.
m
l

Best solution

March 20, 2010 6:18:06 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think the above is perfect for you as:-

1 – Quad Core.
2 – 4 GB RAM.
3 – 15.6" screen, so it’s a good size, not excessively large.
4 – 500 GB Hard drive, with 7200 rpm.
5 – LED monitor, so the monitor is extremely physically strong.
6 – 1 GB graphics card, with GDDR5, not GDDR3, ram, so it’s the latest stuff.
7 – N wireless technology (though this is the new standard, so it’s not saying much).
8 – 2.0 Megapixel webcam, better than the usual 1.3 MP.

Seems to have 1 year “1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge” and 2 year warranty on parts and labor – I don’t know if that’s standard in the USA, though (im from the Middle East).

Gd luck.

Peace.
March 20, 2010 6:19:34 PM

Btw, just so u know, the laptops steddy and I are recommending are very good for laptops; you will certainly be the envy of the guys in ure uni.
m
l
March 20, 2010 9:46:33 PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. I will definitely consider the ones you guys suggested. I'm going to wait a few weeks and see if anything better pops up via the forums before i buy. I appreciate it very much!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 214 4 Gaming
March 20, 2010 10:07:56 PM

Trying to get a gaming laptop w/ long battery life is like looking for a high mileage car that will stand up well to a head on crash w/ a truck. b The design goals are mutually opposed to one another. Big performance eats battery life.

I use my laptops for CAD and engineering design by day and gaming (MMORPG) , when time allows....been playing one for about 5 years now. I generally have them custom built by a "boutique" builder. Most hi end laptops are built by such boutique builders (WidowPC, FalconNW, etc) on an ODM chassis from companies like Clevo.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91510

I typically get 4 -5 years use out of them. A 17" will generally break 8 pounds.....a 15" will often break 7.

I just ordered another one of these based upon an 820QM:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetai...

Send me a PM and I will tell you how to obtain an additional discount
m
l
March 21, 2010 2:37:35 AM

Thanks so much guys. I really do appreciate it.
m
l
March 22, 2010 10:11:53 AM

Best answer selected by sunnyangel37.
m
l
March 23, 2010 10:58:45 PM

buy an alienware laptop IF UR A GAMER nothin else 2 say
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:45:01 PM

huntluck said:
buy an alienware laptop IF UR A GAMER nothin else 2 say

yea overpay for a dell rebaged that is overpriced to boot.

There are some issues with the G51 from what I understand in the department of overheating. You may want to consider that when you are looking at the G51.
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:49:28 PM

boss there r many off with different config's as per use
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:57:11 PM

huntluck said:
boss there r many off with different config's as per use

and they are all overpriced by about 50%. I configured a Sager with the exact build of an Alienware M17x and it comes out about 1200 dollars cheaper.
m
l
March 24, 2010 12:06:29 AM

i do not disagree with you but just wanna say same as intel vs amd cpu
m
l
March 24, 2010 3:14:01 AM

My problem is I need a long battery life and it needs to be light for college. And it apparently doesn't work that way with gaming and school laptops. X[
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:18:02 AM

Do u need names of laptop u mean???????? than wht is ur budget
m
l
March 24, 2010 6:58:21 PM

huntluck said:
Do u need names of laptop u mean???????? than wht is ur budget

I don't need names. I need a laptop that has a high battery life and is light but can also play the newest games out there on the market. I've stated my budget up above =\ and the specs i need.
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:14:13 PM

sunnyangel37 said:
I don't need names. I need a laptop that has a high battery life and is light but can also play the newest games out there on the market. I've stated my budget up above =\ and the specs i need.

what is ur budget firstly if ready to pay for good quality than dis might help

check out

You can have Alienware or Dell any one both are excellent
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:23:14 PM

huntluck said:
what is ur budget firstly if ready to pay for good quality than dis might help

check out

You can have Alienware or Dell any one both are excellent

Yeah that laptop looks pretty awesome! My budget is 1000-1200ish. I refuse to buy dell due to past experiences with the brand. They have sold me so many faulty hard drives and things of that nature and i just don't want to deal with them anymore. And Alienware is really expensive. Like i said previously in my comments above about the specs i need. I desperately need a long battery life. I won't be able to plug it in at college. I'm not a she hulk it needs to be light.
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:39:10 PM

sunnyangel37 said:
Yeah that laptop looks pretty awesome! My budget is 1000-1200ish. I refuse to buy dell due to past experiences with the brand. They have sold me so many faulty hard drives and things of that nature and i just don't want to deal with them anymore. And Alienware is really expensive. Like i said previously in my comments above about the specs i need. I desperately need a long battery life. I won't be able to plug it in at college. I'm not a she hulk it needs to be light.

http://www.laptopshunt.com/search/asus+1080p+laptop

see if u get as u like

:bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:57:45 PM

Those are pretty nice looking. Although I didn't like how little battery it got. I need it for taking notes in college. But i guess i could just buy extra batteries to go with
m
l
!