New Inspiron 8600

My laptop just arrived and I must say that I am very disappointed with the
screen quality. I upgraded to the top of the line WUXGA Ultrasharp screen,
expecting something to rival Fujitsu's Crystalview or Sony's xBrite quality
but it looks like a regular XGA screen.

If you are considering a DELL do not upgrade to Ultrasharp. It's not worth
it.

gringo

?

I like it. Though font is really small.

"Angel Fan" <mrjimi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My laptop just arrived and I must say that I am very disappointed with the
> screen quality. I upgraded to the top of the line WUXGA Ultrasharp
screen,
> expecting something to rival Fujitsu's Crystalview or Sony's xBrite
quality
> but it looks like a regular XGA screen.
>
> If you are considering a DELL do not upgrade to Ultrasharp. It's not worth
> it.

Did you leave it at its native resolution or did you change it?

"Angel Fan" <mrjimi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My laptop just arrived and I must say that I am very disappointed with the
> screen quality. I upgraded to the top of the line WUXGA Ultrasharp
> screen,
> expecting something to rival Fujitsu's Crystalview or Sony's xBrite
> quality
> but it looks like a regular XGA screen.
>
> If you are considering a DELL do not upgrade to Ultrasharp. It's not worth
> it.

Daniel

I've been eyeing the Inspiron 8600 and have been debating which
display to get. I'm a general-purpose computer user, 36 years old, who
wears glasses. Currently, I have an Inspiron 8100 with SXGA
(1400x1050) and although I like the extra desktop space, even after
changing the font settings in the display control panel and settings
in specific applications (Mozilla, IE, Word, etc) some fonts are too
small or the web pages just don't look right. This would seem to
suggest getting the WXGA with native resolution of 1280x800 pixels.

However, www.anandtech.com said in their review of the Inspiron 8600
that WXGA looks a little weird and that the lowest resolution that
they'd go with is WSXGA+ (1680x1050) and they liked the WUXGA
(1920x1200) the best of the 3 options. Personally, the WUXGA would
just be overkill for me, I think. I'm trying to decide between WXGA
(1280x800) and WSXGA+ (1680x1050).

It's interesting to note that the following are the same for all 3
displays
Physical size: 15.4 inches
No of Colors: 16.7 million
Luminance/Brightness (typical): 185 cd/m2 (nits)
Horizontal Viewing angle: +/- 65 degrees
Vertical Viewing angle +/- 50 degrees
Contrast Ratio 300:1

Others' opinions?

Daniel

"Glen R" <grass33@msn.com> wrote in message
> And here comes Tom to the defense of Dell once again!

<snip>

You gathered as much from the leaping of tall buildings or what? He merely
commented about the native resolution. Give it a rest.

Stew

"daniel" <dgrnyc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been eyeing the Inspiron 8600 and have been debating which
> display to get. I'm a general-purpose computer user, 36 years old, who
> wears glasses. Currently, I have an Inspiron 8100 with SXGA
> (1400x1050) and although I like the extra desktop space, even after
> changing the font settings in the display control panel and settings
> in specific applications (Mozilla, IE, Word, etc) some fonts are too
> small or the web pages just don't look right. This would seem to
> suggest getting the WSXGA with native resolution of 1280x800 pixels.
><SNIP>

I have the 8600 with the WSXGA+ screen set at it's native resolution and I
have no problems with it. I'm 40+ years old and the font might be just a tad
small but it's still bright and readable. I use a IBM Thinkpad for work but
I much prefer the Dell.

Regards,
-mike

Wow. I'm a little suprised at how many replies my message got. This is an
active board. :)

That is good news in case I need support down the road and Dell's customer
service is not available.

Since my post I have read some of the comments on Dell's own user boards,
and I learned that all of the laptops come with the same screen but that the
WSXGA and WUXGA have better viewing angles and somewhat better brightness.

I know that contradicts the message from "daniel" earlier who stated in his
message the viewing angle is the same for all the screens but it was what
was stated.

All of them are "Ultrasharp" which is Dell's version of a little brighter
screen.

I much prefer the Fujitsu, Sony and even the new HP screens. I just assumed
that Dell had a similar screen and called it Ultrasharp.

If I had known I would have bought a different brand computer.

> Another Dellbot has arrived on the scene.

<snip>

*splash*...........................*flush*.............

Stew

Typical response here! If you are not Pro Dell, don't come to this group.

> "Glen R" <grass33@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Another Dellbot has arrived on the scene.
>
> <snip>
>
> *splash*...........................*flush*.............
>

> Stew

No, we only discourage jerks like you. Anyone with a problem looking for
help is welcome.

> Typical response here! If you are not Pro Dell, don't come to this group.

I'm not a jerk. I'm just a bit more open minded than you.
> No, we only discourage jerks like you. Anyone with a problem looking for
> help is welcome.
>
> "Glen R" <grass33@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Typical response here! If you are not Pro Dell, don't come to this
group.

You started the name calling. What is your goal?

> I'm not a jerk. I'm just a bit more open minded than you.
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> No, we only discourage jerks like you. Anyone with a problem looking for
>> help is welcome.
>>
>> "Glen R" <grass33@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > Typical response here! If you are not Pro Dell, don't come to this
> group.

Open minded in what way? I asked a simple question -- what res is the OP
running.

You slammed me for a useful trouble shooting question.

If by "open minded" you mean "horses ass", then yes, guess you are.

"Glen R" <grass33@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm not a jerk. I'm just a bit more open minded than you.
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No, we only discourage jerks like you. Anyone with a problem looking
for
> > help is welcome.
> >
> > "Glen R" <grass33@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Typical response here! If you are not Pro Dell, don't come to this
> group.

Have you tried increasing the size of the font from 96 to 120. I did that
with my 8200.

"beloved patriot" <nogringospam_joda@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> ?
>
> I like it. Though font is really small.
>

> "Angel Fan" <mrjimi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > My laptop just arrived and I must say that I am very disappointed with
the
> > screen quality. I upgraded to the top of the line WUXGA Ultrasharp
> screen,
> > expecting something to rival Fujitsu's Crystalview or Sony's xBrite
> quality
> > but it looks like a regular XGA screen.
> >
> > If you are considering a DELL do not upgrade to Ultrasharp. It's not
worth
> > it.

---
James A. Pettyjohn

Dell WUXGA laptops are factory installed with a 120 dpi font.
This makes it look as bigs as WXGA.
You should set the font size to 96 dpi (standard) to get very small font.
This can be done with the Quick View tool.

Rgds

"Angel Fan" <mrjimi@sbcglobal.net> a écrit dans le message de
> My laptop just arrived and I must say that I am very disappointed with the
> screen quality. I upgraded to the top of the line WUXGA Ultrasharp
screen,
> expecting something to rival Fujitsu's Crystalview or Sony's xBrite
quality
> but it looks like a regular XGA screen.
>
> If you are considering a DELL do not upgrade to Ultrasharp. It's not worth
> it.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:01:18 GMT, "Angel Fan"
<mrjimi_junk@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Wow. I'm a little suprised at how many replies my message got. This is an
>active board. :)

LMAO ! I just came to this thread, to get some info as I wanted to
get a Dell Laptop, and see what people say about this or that topic..

But, I came across your thread, and I'm religiously reading every
response.

When I got to where the argument started, I figured "OK, I'll just
keep reading." Then, I saw the "Horse's Ass" comment, I'm nearly
DOL ! ( DOL= Dying Of Laughter).

I''m only now recovering from DOL.l

I can't believe how some of these threads end up, but one thing's for
sure: A good belly laugh can be hard to beat, regardless of scr. res.

Now, I get to your "Wow, this is an active board :) " Response, and
I'm dying again.

LOL

Phooey on laptops ! I don't want one now.
Furthermore, I wonder how many comic jewels like this thread I've
skipped over, not feeling like reading them.

It's Dell's fault. Had they edited out this thread, I'd still be
serious about buying one of their units.

Forget it now. I'll make do with pile of horse _____ I've been stuck
with. I'm looking at an abacus now.

For communication, it'll be two soup cans connected with a string.

>That is good news in case I need support down the road and Dell's customer
>service is not available.

Will they make me laugh too?

>Since my post I have read some of the comments on Dell's own user boards,
>and I learned that all of the laptops come with the same screen but that the
>WSXGA and WUXGA have better viewing angles and somewhat better brightness.
>
>I know that contradicts the message from "daniel" earlier who stated in his
>message the viewing angle is the same for all the screens but it was what
>was stated.
>
>All of them are "Ultrasharp" which is Dell's version of a little brighter
>screen.
>
>I much prefer the Fujitsu, Sony and even the new HP screens. I just assumed
>that Dell had a similar screen and called it Ultrasharp.
>
>If I had known I would have bought a different brand computer.

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"George" <h_arle/yNO.SPAMd_avidso/n@mailcity.com> wrote in
message news:419e4dfa.13784454@news.east.earthlink.net...

> It's Dell's fault. Had they edited out this thread, I'd
still be
> serious about buying one of their units.

What leads you to believe Dell haas anything to do with
Usenet, and can edit out threads?

Your an idiot.

LMAO

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:35:54 GMT, "Stubby" <mjhuffma@pro-ns.net>
wrote:

>"George" <h_arle/yNO.SPAMd_avidso/n@mailcity.com> wrote in
>message news:419e4dfa.13784454@news.east.earthlink.net...
>>
>> It's Dell's fault. Had they edited out this thread, I'd
>still be
>> serious about buying one of their units.
>>

>What leads you to believe Dell haas anything to do with
>Usenet, and can edit out threads?
>
>Your an idiot.
>
>LMAO

I don't care. I had a good laugh.