Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I reformated the hdd on my notebook and reinstalled XP. I tried to play media
player but it did not detect the sound card, it said:
error id = 0x80040256
remedy id = 0x00000000

I went into device manager and in 'other devices' there was a yellow
question mark and then all those devices (ethernet, multimedia, pci, sm bus
control, serial bus control, video control) had yellow question marks next to
them.

Can anyone please help me resolve this problem

All these items require proprietary drivers from
the manufacturer of the laptop.

Visit their site.

"Tom" <tom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I reformated the hdd on my notebook and reinstalled XP. I tried to play
media
> player but it did not detect the sound card, it said:
> error id = 0x80040256
> remedy id = 0x00000000
>
> I went into device manager and in 'other devices' there was a yellow
> question mark and then all those devices (ethernet, multimedia, pci, sm
bus
> control, serial bus control, video control) had yellow question marks next
> them.
>
> Can anyone please help me resolve this problem

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Tom wrote:

> I reformated the hdd on my notebook and reinstalled XP. I tried to play media
> player but it did not detect the sound card, it said:
> error id = 0x80040256
> remedy id = 0x00000000
>
> I went into device manager and in 'other devices' there was a yellow
> question mark and then all those devices (ethernet, multimedia, pci, sm bus
> control, serial bus control, video control) had yellow question marks next to
> them.
>
> Can anyone please help me resolve this problem

You need to install the drivers for all these devices from either the
driver CD supplied with the notebook or go to the manufacturer's web
site and download the correct drivers.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User