I cannot open widnows folders from desktop

I'm using Windows XP Home and had no trouble until the past week. I cannot
open Windows folders (My Documents, My Computer, etc.) from the Start Menu,
the Desktop icons or the task bar. When double clicked, or right clicked and
then clicking on "Open" results in a brief disappearance of all desktop icons
and then their reapperance without an error message. The folders can be
opened by right clicking and going to "explore" instead of "open". Once into
the Windows Explorer tree, all works fine. I can open non-Windows programs
from the Desktop in the usual way.

Windows Restore did not help.
5 answers Last reply
More about open widnows folders desktop

    I think I had the same problem on one limited account of my windows xp too
    about a week ago. try this run regedit and expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand
    control panel and try to see if there's a "don't load" file right below the
    "desktop" file. delete it! explore HKEY_CURRENT_USER for more "don't load"
    files

    "Clueless in LA" wrote:

    > I'm using Windows XP Home and had no trouble until the past week. I cannot
    > open Windows folders (My Documents, My Computer, etc.) from the Start Menu,
    > the Desktop icons or the task bar. When double clicked, or right clicked and
    > then clicking on "Open" results in a brief disappearance of all desktop icons
    > and then their reapperance without an error message. The folders can be
    > opened by right clicking and going to "explore" instead of "open". Once into
    > the Windows Explorer tree, all works fine. I can open non-Windows programs
    > from the Desktop in the usual way.
    >
    > Windows Restore did not help.

    See if this caused by a shell extension. Follow "Method 2" here:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm (Ignore the title)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Clueless in LA" <CluelessinLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows XP Home and had no trouble until the past week. I
    > cannot
    > open Windows folders (My Documents, My Computer, etc.) from the Start
    > Menu,
    > the Desktop icons or the task bar. When double clicked, or right clicked
    > and
    > then clicking on "Open" results in a brief disappearance of all desktop
    > icons
    > and then their reapperance without an error message. The folders can be
    > opened by right clicking and going to "explore" instead of "open". Once
    > into
    > the Windows Explorer tree, all works fine. I can open non-Windows
    > programs
    > from the Desktop in the usual way.
    >
    > Windows Restore did not help.

    Could it be that your default action for folders/directories is incorrectly
    set? Tools\Folder Options\File Types....in Windows Explorer.

    --

    +-- Thief_

    "Clueless in LA" <CluelessinLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows XP Home and had no trouble until the past week. I
    cannot
    > open Windows folders (My Documents, My Computer, etc.) from the Start
    Menu,
    > the Desktop icons or the task bar. When double clicked, or right clicked
    and
    > then clicking on "Open" results in a brief disappearance of all desktop
    icons
    > and then their reapperance without an error message. The folders can be
    > opened by right clicking and going to "explore" instead of "open". Once
    into
    > the Windows Explorer tree, all works fine. I can open non-Windows
    programs
    > from the Desktop in the usual way.
    >
    > Windows Restore did not help.

    Thanks, but it didn't help. More info: the problem only occurs with one User
    Account, the others and new ones work fine. A work-around would be to create
    a new user account and transfer all programs and documents from the corrupted
    account, and then just delete the culprit account. Is there a simple way to
    basically create a new User Account and dump all the programs and documents
    into this?
    Thanks.

    Clueless in LA wrote:

    > Thanks, but it didn't help. More info: the problem only occurs with one User
    > Account, the others and new ones work fine. A work-around would be to create
    > a new user account and transfer all programs and documents from the corrupted
    > account, and then just delete the culprit account. Is there a simple way to
    > basically create a new User Account and dump all the programs and documents
    > into this?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Clueless in LA" wrote:

    How to Copy a User Profile