Can i run malwarbytes in safe mode

mcutter131

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hello, I installed malwearbytes yesterday. It ran a scan and attemped to remove svc host. Not sure if this was a virus or a real part of the windows operating system. Anyhow, now the computer will only start in Safe mode. Can I start by running malwarebytes in Safe mode? I already tried a system restore to yesterday, however, so I will have to rinstall malwarebytes in safe mode.

mcutter131

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

It will start in normal mode but then it just hangs . . . I folowed the first few steps but the "start in safe mode" box was not checked. So I didn't keep going.

I just ran malwarebytes in safe mode, and it removed two Trojans, the computer then starts normally (well, it looked normal) but then as soon as I tried to do anything I go the bluescreen.

I think I will try Rootkit next?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Have you tried using that method to put it into safe mode (check the box). Do a restart. Test the system for stability. Uncheck the box and restart normally?

Have you tried selective startup in that you disable all your optional software from running and just run the basics in normal mode and testing the system. Then if the system does not hang, restore them a couple at a time to see if you can isolate the problem software.

Or, sounds like you need to repair your Windows installation perhaps.

Check out: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm and other similar sites.

silhouttejames

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Unless Malwarebytes is already installed on the machine, you will need a copy on a usb drive.
Boot to safe mode with networking,
Install Malwarebytes (if necessary) or start the program.
Run update before running a scan