Problem with drivers?

I cleared my harddrive and reinstalled windows XP. Upon reinstall my
speakers suddenly stopped working! I updated the drivers for it (I strongly
THINK I did at least) but they still don't work. They work on other
computers, so I know they're not broken. Weird thing is... when I plug
headphones into the same jack for the computer speakers, the headset works
perfectly. What have I done to make them forsake me? =/
5 answers Last reply
More about problem drivers

    If by 'cleared my hd' you mean formated you will have to reinstall all your
    hw drivers. Use manu sites only NOT winupdate. Also reinstall your mobo
    chipset drivers

    > I cleared my harddrive and reinstalled windows XP. Upon reinstall my
    > speakers suddenly stopped working! I updated the drivers for it (I
    strongly
    > THINK I did at least) but they still don't work. They work on other
    > computers, so I know they're not broken. Weird thing is... when I plug
    > headphones into the same jack for the computer speakers, the headset works
    > perfectly. What have I done to make them forsake me? =/

    Speakers normally connect to the 1/8 inch connection. This does not have
    any drivers. You need to makre sure tah you have correctly configure the
    sound card and the multi-media speaker setup.

    >I cleared my harddrive and reinstalled windows XP. Upon reinstall my
    > speakers suddenly stopped working! I updated the drivers for it (I
    > strongly
    > THINK I did at least) but they still don't work. They work on other
    > computers, so I know they're not broken. Weird thing is... when I plug
    > headphones into the same jack for the computer speakers, the headset works
    > perfectly. What have I done to make them forsake me? =/

    >I cleared my harddrive and reinstalled windows XP. Upon reinstall my
    > speakers suddenly stopped working! I updated the drivers for it (I
    > strongly
    > THINK I did at least) but they still don't work. They work on other
    > computers, so I know they're not broken. Weird thing is... when I plug
    > headphones into the same jack for the computer speakers, the headset works
    > perfectly. What have I done to make them forsake me? =/

    Also check Control Panel, Audio Devices, Speaker settings {at bottom of
    Speaker tab}. Click on the Advance button to verify speaker configuration
    and on the Volume button to check speaker volume setting.

    Don

    Are they powered speakers? Plug in the "brick". If the 'phones work in
    the same jack, then its a problem with the speakers and how you plugged
    them in.

    David wrote:

    > I cleared my harddrive and reinstalled windows XP. Upon reinstall my
    > speakers suddenly stopped working! I updated the drivers for it (I strongly
    > THINK I did at least) but they still don't work. They work on other
    > computers, so I know they're not broken. Weird thing is... when I plug
    > headphones into the same jack for the computer speakers, the headset works
    > perfectly. What have I done to make them forsake me? =/

    begin  trojan.vbs ... On Sunday 28 August 2005 10:51 pm, David had this to
    say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > I cleared my harddrive and reinstalled windows XP. Upon reinstall my
    > speakers suddenly stopped working! I updated the drivers for it (I
    > strongly
    > THINK I did at least) but they still don't work. They work on other
    > computers, so I know they're not broken. Weird thing is... when I plug
    > headphones into the same jack for the computer speakers, the headset works
    > perfectly. What have I done to make them forsake me? =/

    I've seen powered speakers that if disconnected from power need to have
    their volume turned up manually at the speaker. Is there a volume control
    on the speaker itself? Have you used it?

    --
    Have you been MicroShafted today?
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

Drivers Speakers Windows XP