Sign in with
Your question

WinXP problem - I'm desperate, plz help!

Last response: in Windows XP
September 15, 2002 8:04:47 PM

the following is quite long, PLZ read it all, it's important 4 me 2 give a complete picture of what's goin on:

recently I've bought a new pc and installed winXP home edition on it... since then I've encountered almost nothin but problems..
my pc specs: Asus p4s533, intel 2.26 GHZ, WDC WD80 HD, Audigy Soundblaster, LeadTek GeForce 4400TI...

here's a "recap" of the problems I've had:

1st, the winXP home edition I installed wasn't an original, I got it from a friend - I've worked with it 4 a while, but it crashed a lot.. then one time, it just didn't load. so I decided 2 formtat my HD and then I found out I have a bad sector of 1.52 MB, I figured it was probably caused by the tilting of the pc (which I did do, probably 2 much), so I went and replaced my HD and re-installed everything.
Then I found out that the new HD has a bad sector of 16 KB, now I theorized it must b a manufacturing glitch, (which could happen), this time I took my PC 2 the lab where I bought it, where they find out that the PC didn't recognize the HD correctly due 2 a problem with the MB - so I replaced my HD AND my MB...

Then I decided that b4 I'll do the whole installation again I'll get a better WinXP version - which I did (I now have an original WinXP PRO build 2600 disc)..
so then I went and started re-installing everythin.
After I installed all the drivers (and NOTHING ELSE), I shutdown my pc and re-opened it a short while after - when winXP started loading it took it much longer than usual 2 load, after it finally did, it made that routine "file consistecny check" and then it found another bad sector of 16 KB (again)!, now here I'm SURE that I didn't tilt my pc and there where NO power supply changes, earthquakes, lightnings and what else!!! here I'm quite sure it was somehow formed while WinXP was loading.

Pissed off, I decided 2 continue installation - I also installed Norton Antivirus and Norton Utilities... I ran the Windoctor and chose Auto fix problems... then when I restared the pc, WinXP DIDN't load - a blue screen with a msg about a problem in the registry appeared (wasn't able 2 read it all, it restarted 2 fast)... now here I was sure that Norton windoctor caused the Crash (I'm sure bcuz I then remembered that in my other installation of WinXP- both versions - I also ran windoctor and it also caused problems afterwards, which I didn't relate 2 Windoctor then), and besides - I figured, that if u let that "windoctor" mess with ur system and registry and choose auto fix problems - more problems will arise. Auto fix doesn't necessarily means it's actually fixin somethin right.

Then, REALLY PISSED OFF, I re-formated my HD, and meanwhile the bad sector increased to more than 1 MB!!! (don't have a clue how).
then using my Windows Millenium BootDisk I ran the ScanDisk, I made a complete scan of my HD (the partition with the windows on it, and where the bad sectors where).
Oddly enough, Scandisk did show, in the graphical interface, a few blocks with bad sectors in them. BUT when it scanned those portions of the HD it DIDN'T count bad sectors and when I finished the scan it reported NO PROBLEMS what so ever in the HD, as if the bad sectors where NOT really there!
then I went and re-installed WinXP PRO (with the original CD) and all my programs (wihthout that f*ckin Norton utilities), it now works fine, but when I run chkdsk it does report those bad sectors...

now I'm really lost and confused, it's my 3rd HD and 2nd MB.
I just don't what's wrong, or if anything IS actully wrong (maybe those bad sectors r really NOT there?)... or maybe those bad sectors (if they r there) where created by a software, maybe winxp or Norton, I just don't know, (can this happen)?

what should I do now, should I continue 2 work on my pc as is, considering it's workin fine, or what?
do those presumably "bad sectors" pose a threat of any kind?

what should I do???

PLZ HELP, I'm REALLY desperate here!!!
I'm sure the MB is ok, and the HD should also b so (it's the 3rd one!!!)
September 15, 2002 11:59:19 PM

1) That is a wicked post.

2) I'd pull that audigy out first thing.

Then start redoing all that stuff.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!
September 16, 2002 1:37:22 AM

1. Good job actually trying a real copy of XP before complaining.
2. Never use anything associated with WinME
3. Don't install crap software like Quicktime 3.0 or Bonzai Buddy. I'd stay away from a lot of software like Real Player and even ICQ if you can. It's all beta, and it's all bloated crap.
4. Are you defragging your hard drive on a regular basis?
5. Norton Utilities always causes more problems than it fixes. Stay away.
6. Install Virus Protection right away and update the definitions.
7. Don't install all the updates for XP unless you actually need them.
8. Not sure if that motherboard is VIA, but don't install the 4in1's with XP.
9. Take the Audigy out. Actually strip the system to nothing but the videocard and see how it runs.
10. Is the drive formatted as NTFS or FAT32? I think NTFS is better. You take a small performance hit, but big deal.
11. Try different Detonator drivers. I find that 1 out of 3 or 4 released actually runs good.
12. Switch out your IDE cables.
13. What powersupply?

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
September 16, 2002 3:30:40 AM

:smile: Does anyone know where I can get a new, barely used motherboard and hard drive? :smile: Just kidding. If your doing a fresh install, everything should work fine. Unless, your not telling us everything.

"1. Good job actually trying a real copy of XP before complaining.
2. Never use anything associated with WinME
3. Don't install crap software like Quicktime 3.0 or Bonzai Buddy. I'd stay away from a lot of software like Real Player and even ICQ if you can. It's all beta, and it's all bloated crap.
4. Are you defragging your hard drive on a regular basis?
5. Norton Utilities always causes more problems than it fixes. Stay away.
6. Install Virus Protection right away and update the definitions.
7. Don't install all the updates for XP unless you actually need them.
8. Not sure if that motherboard is VIA, but don't install the 4in1's with XP.
9. Take the Audigy out. Actually strip the system to nothing but the videocard and see how it runs.
10. Is the drive formatted as NTFS or FAT32? I think NTFS is better. You take a small performance hit, but big deal.
11. Try different Detonator drivers. I find that 1 out of 3 or 4 released actually runs good.
12. Switch out your IDE cables.
13. What powersupply?"

Looks like good advice to me.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>
!