Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Monitor for PC and Xbox 360?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 3, 2010 6:32:01 AM

Hello everyone!

Thanks again for all the help with my previous post regarding my homebuilt system: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

This time my question revolves around the purchase of a PC monitor that'll connect to my Xbox 360

I want a "monitor" cause I'm sick of fuzzy text, but if I go for the following one that is 28" I would like to be able to hook up my 360 to it!

I'm leaning very heavily towards this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I have some questions:

First let me tell you what i know: I know that the 360 can hook up to a monitor in one of two ways determined by the type of 360 you have.
1. Elite 360 owners (lucky bastards) can hook up to a monitor using a simple HDMI cable (sometimes requiring a HDMI to DVI converter).
2. People like me that own a 360 Pro (or any pre-Elite 360 for that matter) have to use a HD VGA cable (sometimes requiring a VGA to DVI converter). That said, obviously my monitor is good to go after I purchase a HD VGA cable....right?

As for my main questions:
1. Will I be able to downscale the monitors reccommended resolution (1920x1200) to match the 360's 1080p? And if so, how would I do that (through the PC or through the Xbox dashboard?)?
2. I think I read somewhere that the aspect ratio for the monitor needs to be at 16:9, can anyone confirm this? And if so, how do I know if my monitor supports that?

Thanks for the help! And remember ANY advice/suggestion is greatly appretiated!!!

More about : monitor xbox 360

Best solution

a b C Monitor
September 3, 2010 9:57:33 AM

1. You'll be able to downscale the resolution provided your monitor supports that resolution.. You can make the resolution change from windows itself..

2. You can know the aspect ratio for any monitor by either a google search on the monitor or by knowing the native resolution of the monitor.. For instance, if your monitor has a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 then the aspect ratio can be calculated as 1920/1200 =16/10 i.e. 16:10
Related resources
September 17, 2010 4:21:18 PM

Best answer selected by wilson6488.
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2010 7:32:19 PM

Are you about to purchase that monitor.? Reviews don't look good in there.. Anyways, refer to the Hanns-G website about info on that monitor.. It could be typo with the aspect ratio.. The native resolution of 1920 x 1200 suggests a 16:10 aspect ratio..
m
l
!