Mike

Splendid

I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.

Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's and
DVD's???

The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
layer write capability.

I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet. Anyone
care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing?? Thanks!!

I'll bet the burning software that comes with your computer has a Help file.

You can also look here:

"How Do I Use the Roxio Software with the CD-RW Recorder that Is Installed
in My Dell™ Computer?"
http://tinyurl.com/5ccel
--
Ted Zieglar

"Mike" <iamglad@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
> files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
>
> Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's
and
> DVD's???
>
> The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
> layer write capability.
>
> I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet.
Anyone
> care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing??
Thanks!!

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F2D8973.EBCD8386@mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike wrote:

> I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
> files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
>
> Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's and
> DVD's???
>
> The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
> layer write capability.
>
> I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet. Anyone
> care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing?? Thanks!!

The most readable, concise CD Faq:
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/axatis/FAQs/CDR/

CDR-Faq:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/

DVD Faq:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

What is DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-VCD, DVD-SVCD?
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
http://www.videohelp.com/glossary
http://www.videohelp.com/faq

Best Buy is supposed to have Fuji DVD on sale. Get them if they have
"Made in Japan" marking. Suggest you also get Verbatim DataLifePlus
DVD+RW for testing.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

As starters unless they have changed the brand Dell is using Phillips
writers which are a HUGE problem. So if you are having problems don't
blame yourself or the software. It could be the drive.

Here is a great site to help you out.
http://www.videohelp.com/

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:23:12 GMT, "Mike" <iamglad@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
>files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
>
>Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's and
>DVD's???
>
>The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
>layer write capability.
>
>I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet. Anyone
>care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing?? Thanks!!

My new Dell came with an NEC 3100 16x DVD writer.

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> As starters unless they have changed the brand Dell is using Phillips
> writers which are a HUGE problem. So if you are having problems don't
> blame yourself or the software. It could be the drive.
>
> Here is a great site to help you out.
> http://www.videohelp.com/
>

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:23:12 GMT, "Mike" <iamglad@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
>>files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
>>
>>Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's
>>and
>>DVD's???
>>
>>The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
>>layer write capability.
>>
>>I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet.
>>Anyone
>>care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing??
>>Thanks!!

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Speaking of burning DVDs:

ZipZoomFly has the top rated Lite-On DVD burner, SOHW-1633S, for $81.50,
free 2nd day shipping included.

From the ZZF site:

Features and Benefits

* Bulk w/Software and Cable

* Color: Black

* ATAPI / E-IDE Half-Height internal DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD+R9 / DVD-R /
DVD-RW / DVD-ROM / CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM combination drive

* Supported Double Layer DVD+R9 Recording Function

* SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer UnderRun Error, Automatically adjusting
writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality

* SMART-X function adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a
fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host
and disk quality

* VAS® system reduce vibration and noise during recording and reading

* Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning
& Over-Burn

* DVD read compliant : DVD single / dual layer ( PTP / OTP ), DVD-R (
3.9 GB / 4.7 GB ), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions,
DVD-RW, and DVD+RW

* CD read compliant : CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM / XA, Photo-CD,
Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R,
and CD-RW

* Supprot both 8 cm and 12 cm disc of CD and DVD family

* Conform to Orange Book : Part 2 CD-R Volume 1, Part 2 CD-R Volume 2
Multi Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 ( 1x, 2x, and 4x ), Part 3 CD-RW
Volume 2 : High Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 3 : Ultra Speed

* Supported transfer mode : PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 and Ultra DMA mode 2

For the record, my only connection with ZZF/Lite-On is that I just
bought one of these drives. It plays DVDs beautifully - haven't burned
anything yet.