Sign in with
Your question

A good showing by AMD

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2003 9:34:00 PM

For those of you who's bias blinded you to the facts, the conclusion in Tom's Hardware's review was...the 3.2EE won more benchmarks than the FX-51. Not mentioning the non-existant 3.6EE in the conclusion, but the 3.2EE.

Anyway, this is a good showing for what is esentially the old Athlon core but with new extensions, more cache, and a built in memory controller.

The shrink to 90nm should make this a viable product, I expect that to happen next year. Hopefully AMD will make some standardization and improvement in these things, such as ability to use non-registered DIMMs, and perhaps a single socket? 90nm should increase yields and clock speeds as well.

Based on what we've seen, the future of AMD looks marginal, just like their past, neither good nor bad, but enough to keep the inovation and competition alive.

I think I'll wait a while and see how AMD and nVidia iron things out.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

More about : good showing amd

September 23, 2003 11:22:03 PM

Yep I agree totaly. Later this year or early next year the non reg version of the FX will be out with maybe a higher clock speed and the low latencies of the 3200. I just hope AMD can keep some kind of pressure on Intel, if just to keep prices within reach.

The EE seems too expensive at the moment though. Especially here in the UK where the normal 3.2c is over £500 and the 3200 A64 is just £350. If the EE chips are super expensive then maybe AMD can take advantage. No doubt about it though. A lot of disappointed people expecting the A64 to give the prescott a good fight. Maybe they will with a 2.4ghz non reg FX?

Interesting times ahead.....

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7000747" target="_new"> 3D-2001 </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1284380" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)
September 23, 2003 11:55:15 PM

Comparing a 2.2 chip to a 3.2 & 3.6 chip. I'd say there is something there. it's almost beating or beating what's out there with at least a gig. more, depending who you read.

I think it will mature along with the MOBOs & BIOS. It is a very interesting chip.

Time will tell. But I do think it's impressive that it does what it needs to do.

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:
September 24, 2003 12:20:47 AM

Its about what I was expecting from it.

Plenty of performance all around and the 64bit future.
Great that MS released Windows XP 64bit beta today also.
Though the linux heads should be excited more.

September 23rd can definitly be remembered as a good day. :smile:

edit- I'm sold on it still, probably pick one up in '04 when the new socket format is out and everything matures somewhat. I'm going to order a 2500+ and o/c it to 2800+/3200+ to tide me over until then.

Good job AMD!

-----
eden is my intel/ati superboy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 09/23/03 07:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!