trojan

Microsoft Antispyware is showing that I have Trojan.Startup.NameShifter.H on
my computer. I have used Adaware, Spybot and Norton Antivirus to try to get
rid of it.They didn't work. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
(If you read my other post, this is on a different computer.)
Laura
24 answers Last reply
More about trojan

    laura wrote:
    > Microsoft Antispyware is showing that I have Trojan.Startup.NameShifter.H on
    > my computer. I have used Adaware, Spybot and Norton Antivirus to try to get
    > rid of it.They didn't work. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
    > (If you read my other post, this is on a different computer.)
    > Laura

    Have you run all these scans in safe mode? Reboot the computer, as the
    BIOS screen disappears repeatedly tap the f8 key until the safe mode
    menu appears. Choose safe mode, login and run the scans.

    If that doesn't clear it, download HijackThis, run it and post the log
    to one of the specialty forums listed below, _not_ this one.

    HijackThis

    Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    From: "laura" <a222369@hotmail.com>

    | Microsoft Antispyware is showing that I have Trojan.Startup.NameShifter.H on
    | my computer. I have used Adaware, Spybot and Norton Antivirus to try to get
    | rid of it.They didn't work. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
    | (If you read my other post, this is on a different computer.)
    | Laura

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it elsewhere. I need
    to see it not them.

    HijackThis

    In article <NsFQe.620$v83.507@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > Download, install, update and run all of the following.
    >

    > Ewido Security Suite Trial version
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe

    Downloading unknown software from sites that are not the vendors site is
    a dangerous endeavor and should be avoided You can download the software
    from the vendors site without having to guess if it's been compromised
    or no.

    > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it, save
    > a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    > I can analyze it. Ignore anyone who tells you to post it elsewhere. I need
    > to see it not them.
    >

    > HijackThis
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip

    Downloading unknown software from sites that are not the vendors site is
    a dangerous endeavor and should be avoided - the HJ site can be found
    using google and then you know you're getting the real thing that's not
    been compromised.

    Posting HJ logs to this group is NOT appreciated and is not being a good
    member of this group.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:

    > Downloading unknown software from sites that are not the vendors site is
    > a dangerous endeavor and should be avoided - the HJ site can be found

    That depends. Many reputable software download sites have the files on
    their site for faster/easier access, and/or have the files on their site
    as the software author may not have the traffic allowance to properly
    carry/distribute the files.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Thank you for your help. I'm a bit of a doofus when it gets technical,
    but I will post again when I've followed your directions.
    Thanks again, Laura

    "laura" <a222369@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Microsoft Antispyware is showing that I have Trojan.Startup.NameShifter.H
    > on my computer. I have used Adaware, Spybot and Norton Antivirus to try
    > to get rid of it.They didn't work. Any suggestions would be very
    > appreciated.
    > (If you read my other post, this is on a different computer.)
    > Laura

    Leythos is an idiot Plato he does not understand that and he really thinks I
    need to prove it to him. He does not know what a mirror site is. He also
    does not understand distribution and resale licenses, he thinks that is
    something you find posted on public sites.

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Leythos wrote:
    >>
    >> Downloading unknown software from sites that are not the vendors site is
    >> a dangerous endeavor and should be avoided - the HJ site can be found
    >
    > That depends. Many reputable software download sites have the files on
    > their site for faster/easier access, and/or have the files on their site
    > as the software author may not have the traffic allowance to properly
    > carry/distribute the files.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 03:56 pm, pcbutts1 had this
    to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > Leythos is an idiot Plato he does not understand that and he really thinks
    > I need to prove it to him. He does not know what a mirror site is. He also
    > does not understand distribution and resale licenses, he thinks that is
    > something you find posted on public sites.

    How can you accuse him of being an idiot? He personally manages over a 1000
    nodes across the nation. None of them have ever had a problem. And he does
    this while at the same time hanging around this newsgroup all day long. The
    guy is obviously a computer guru and an incredible one at that.

    --
    Have you been MicroShafted today?
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

    In article <XFNQe.331307$5V4.282170@pd7tw3no>, nostop@stopspam.com
    says...
    > begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 03:56 pm, pcbutts1 had this
    > to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >
    > > Leythos is an idiot Plato he does not understand that and he really thinks
    > > I need to prove it to him. He does not know what a mirror site is. He also
    > > does not understand distribution and resale licenses, he thinks that is
    > > something you find posted on public sites.
    > >

    > How can you accuse him of being an idiot? He personally manages over a 1000
    > nodes across the nation. None of them have ever had a problem. And he does
    > this while at the same time hanging around this newsgroup all day long. The
    > guy is obviously a computer guru and an incredible one at that.

    Hey, what I do in my free time, while running my own company, is
    completely up to me, at least I though it was. Most days I start around
    5AM and end my work around 11PM, during that time I take 10 or 15
    minutes to VPN into the office, connect to the Usenet server and
    download/upload posts, then disconnect....

    Oh, and I do know what a Mirror is, as I've explained that he's not a
    Mirror as none of the vendors approved his "Mirror" status and none of
    them were aware of him hosting the files - and all of the vendors have
    explicit instructions on "If you want to link" to our files - which he
    can't follow.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 05:59 pm, Leythos had this
    to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > In article <XFNQe.331307$5V4.282170@pd7tw3no>, nostop@stopspam.com
    > says...
    >> begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 03:56 pm, pcbutts1 had
    >> this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >>
    >> > Leythos is an idiot Plato he does not understand that and he really
    >> > thinks I need to prove it to him. He does not know what a mirror site
    >> > is. He also does not understand distribution and resale licenses, he
    >> > thinks that is something you find posted on public sites.
    >> >

    >> How can you accuse him of being an idiot? He personally manages over a
    >> 1000 nodes across the nation. None of them have ever had a problem. And
    >> he does this while at the same time hanging around this newsgroup all day
    >> long. The guy is obviously a computer guru and an incredible one at that.
    >
    > Hey, what I do in my free time, while running my own company, is
    > completely up to me, at least I though it was. Most days I start around
    > 5AM and end my work around 11PM, during that time I take 10 or 15
    > minutes to VPN into the office, connect to the Usenet server and
    > download/upload posts, then disconnect....

    That would explain why it took you a whole 36 minutes to reply to me.

    > Oh, and I do know what a Mirror is, as I've explained that he's not a
    > Mirror as none of the vendors approved his "Mirror" status and none of
    > them were aware of him hosting the files - and all of the vendors have
    > explicit instructions on "If you want to link" to our files - which he
    > can't follow.

    OK, you've convinced me. pcbutts1 is an idiot. But I knew that already.

    From: "-rwxrw-r--" <nostop@stopspam.com>

    | OK, you've convinced me. pcbutts1 is an idiot. But I knew that already.
    |
    | --
    | Have you been MicroShafted today?
    | To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.
    | To mess up a Windows box, you need to work *on* it.

    Unfortunately a sophomoric idiot !

    He knows or cares nothing about the negative consequences of his actions.

    --

    In article <lkOQe.41442$Hk.15151@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    > begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 05:59 pm, Leythos had this
    > to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >
    > > In article <XFNQe.331307$5V4.282170@pd7tw3no>, nostop@stopspam.com
    > > says...
    > >> begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 03:56 pm, pcbutts1 had
    > >> this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > >> How can you accuse him of being an idiot? He personally manages over a
    > >> 1000 nodes across the nation. None of them have ever had a problem. And
    > >> he does this while at the same time hanging around this newsgroup all day
    > >> long. The guy is obviously a computer guru and an incredible one at that.
    > >
    > > Hey, what I do in my free time, while running my own company, is
    > > completely up to me, at least I though it was. Most days I start around
    > > 5AM and end my work around 11PM, during that time I take 10 or 15
    > > minutes to VPN into the office, connect to the Usenet server and
    > > download/upload posts, then disconnect....
    > >

    > That would explain why it took you a whole 36 minutes to reply to me.

    Let me tell you about my day, if you are that interested:

    5AM, awake, get kids up and ready for school, check email, start usenet
    pull. 6AM, VPN into Memphis and LA, start updates (doing 10 stations at
    a time over VPN's, just have to monitor) (since I have 3 workstations
    and a laptop in front of me life is easy - not to mention the KVM's with
    the Linux boxes). 7AM, done with updates - VPN into Dallas, Michigan,
    one place in Ohio - start updates for accounting programs for those
    clients - only 30 stations total, same methods....

    8:30~10AM - work on updated scope for proposal for new customer,
    costing, parts lists....

    Monitor Usenet entire time as my Newsreader makes life easy to see just
    new posts - polls every 3 minutes.

    10AM - drive to client in next town, install 3 workstations, add
    software, install SP1 for SBS2003, add new Cannon print station, check
    event logs, check firewall logs, etc....

    Have laptop VPN'd into office to keep current on email for team
    interaction, check usenet, poll every 5 minutes at this rate...

    1300 - each lunch - Subway veggie foot-long sub, Yum (not really)

    1700 - leave site

    1800 - Home, check emails and take a break for 45 minutes. Check some
    Usenet as I walk by laptop....

    1900 - Check emails, check firewall logs, check Usenet.... Continue
    working on presentation for Tuesday meeting with new client...

    And so it goes until around 2300 tonight.... Start over at 500 on
    Tuesday.

    Thanks for being concerned - you know, when I look at my typical day
    it's no wonder I take off on Thursday AM's to go shooting :)

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    I did a search and his picture came up
    http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/search.php?kind=a&terms=Idiot-Finder

    In article <azOQe.343$lU2.139@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > I did a search and his picture came up
    > http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/search.php?kind=a&terms=Idiot-Finder

    Hey, you're learning - you didn't copy the graphic to your own site and
    then post a lame link to your site to show us. Good boy, you can learn.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 06:18 pm, Leythos had this
    to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > In article <lkOQe.41442$Hk.15151@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    >> begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 05:59 pm, Leythos had
    >> this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >>
    >> > In article <XFNQe.331307$5V4.282170@pd7tw3no>, nostop@stopspam.com
    >> > says...

    >> > Hey, what I do in my free time, while running my own company, is
    >> > completely up to me, at least I though it was. Most days I start around
    >> > 5AM and end my work around 11PM, during that time I take 10 or 15
    >> > minutes to VPN into the office, connect to the Usenet server and
    >> > download/upload posts, then disconnect....
    >> >

    >> That would explain why it took you a whole 36 minutes to reply to me.
    >
    > Let me tell you about my day, if you are that interested:

    Frankly, I'm not interested in how you spend your day.

    > Thanks for being concerned - you know, when I look at my typical day
    > it's no wonder I take off on Thursday AM's to go shooting :)

    Just don't shoot in my direction and I'll be happy.

    --
    Have you been MicroShafted today?
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.
    To mess up a Windows box, you need to work *on* it.

    In article <xUOQe.335071$s54.128917@pd7tw2no>, nostop@stopspam.com
    says...
    > begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 06:18 pm, Leythos had this
    > to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >
    > > In article <lkOQe.41442$Hk.15151@pd7tw1no>, nostop@stopspam.com says...
    > >> begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 05:59 pm, Leythos had
    > >> this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > >> That would explain why it took you a whole 36 minutes to reply to me.
    > >
    > > Let me tell you about my day, if you are that interested:
    > >
    > Frankly, I'm not interested in how you spend your day.
    >
    > > Thanks for being concerned - you know, when I look at my typical day
    > > it's no wonder I take off on Thursday AM's to go shooting :)
    > >
    > Just don't shoot in my direction and I'll be happy.

    Actually, I teach school kids to shoot on weekends. When my kids got
    into it I got certified at the national level and teach groups of kids
    during the summer. Aside from testing new beta versions of software,
    shooting is the next best relaxing thing.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    What negative consequences ? After 4 years something should happen shouldn't
    it? You idiots are so convinced that something's going to happen it just
    kills you inside doesn't it. I have done nothing wrong that's why nothing
    has happened. Get over it.

    In article <ZwPQe.1182$oJ2.898@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > What negative consequences ? After 4 years something should happen shouldn't
    > it? You idiots are so convinced that something's going to happen it just
    > kills you inside doesn't it. I have done nothing wrong that's why nothing
    > has happened. Get over it.

    You really are delusional - and you seem to have just enough rope to
    hang yourself. No one has turned you in, no one has suggested that it
    happen, no one really cares as long as you follow the group norms for
    posting.

    It would be interesting to see what happens if we find the charter for
    the group, and you're requesting people post binaries and logs was
    against it, and someone reported your inappropriate actions to your ISP.
    I bet you won't have anything to worry about, since no one would do that
    to you as a respected member of the group.

    It would be nice if you could post the respective approvals of the
    vendors contact for the software you claim to have permission to host on
    your site without following their published hosting/linking rules, but,
    you would have to have permission to do that, and since you don't, you
    can't post it.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Hjt logs are text not binaries you idiot.

    In article <I1QQe.1204$oJ2.1002@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > Hjt logs are text not binaries you idiot.

    Only an idiot would think they were - I didn't say HJ logs were binaries
    you moron - you read that into what I said.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "and you're requesting people post binaries " you are the idiot Idiot.

    > In article <I1QQe.1204$oJ2.1002@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    > @seedsv.com says...
    >> Hjt logs are text not binaries you idiot.
    >
    > Only an idiot would think they were - I didn't say HJ logs were binaries
    > you moron - you read that into what I said.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <op1Re.86$ZL4.20@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > you are the idiot Idiot.

    I'm not the one passing off others work on my web sites without giving
    them credit for it.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    What do you want to bet he is gathering up their information when they visit
    his website, and selling it? I didn't see any privacy policy, did you?

    > In article <op1Re.86$ZL4.20@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    > @seedsv.com says...
    >> you are the idiot Idiot.
    >
    > I'm not the one passing off others work on my web sites without giving
    > them credit for it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You don't see a webpage either do you?

    "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    > What do you want to bet he is gathering up their information when they
    > visit his website, and selling it? I didn't see any privacy policy, did
    > you?
    >
    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> In article <op1Re.86$ZL4.20@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    >> @seedsv.com says...
    >>> you are the idiot Idiot.
    >>
    >> I'm not the one passing off others work on my web sites without giving
    >> them credit for it.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> spam999free@rrohio.com
    >> remove 999 in order to email me