Sign in with
Your question

LG smart TV (LM9600)

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 18, 2012 8:40:33 AM

I know LG LM9600 is a good 3D TV, but is it also a good smart TV? I heard it applied a dual-core processor. I know most PCs have that now but does it really make a big difference in a smart TV?

More about : smart lm9600

June 18, 2012 8:48:41 AM

When it comes to smart TVs, the processor is important too but you also need to consider how each TV's feature can help consumers with the accesibility. For example, LG's smart TV uses the magic remote which makes it a lot more convenient to navigate.
m
l
June 18, 2012 8:57:27 AM

Some features that were added to the newer models actually require Dual-core processor to run smoothly.
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 9:02:05 AM

I upgraded to my LM9600 from LW7500 and the smart interface is whole lot better. There is no lag when opening apps or streaming movies.
m
l
June 19, 2012 12:48:24 AM

Yes, it actually makes a pretty big difference. It's obviously faster than TVs with single-core processor. You won't have any problems with the TV you mentioned in terms of loading apps or just regular TV use. I also like that TV's smart interface myself for its simplicity.
m
l
June 22, 2012 2:39:15 AM

I never really paid attention to the extra features on my TV until recently (I stopped watching Lost lol) I did check out the LG TV's smart UI and it was fast and simple. I love their magic remote :p  Oh and as for the processor, some apps actually won't run as smoothly without the dual core processor. I can't wait for TVs to start applying quad core processors lol.
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:57:40 AM

If it makes a whole lot difference to the pcs it's the same thing with tvs. The previous posts are right. Dual core processors are needed so that the new features of this high end smart tv would work smoothly. The magic remote was mentioned earlier in the thread. This model's magic remote has the voice recognition feature and it wouldn't work properly if you have a slower processor.
m
l
June 26, 2012 6:34:22 AM

Not really sure what exact processor my LM9600 is powered with but I find the opening of apps and response rate fast enough. What I know is the CPU that LG Google TVs have is L9 dual-core. I checked LG's website and their new TVs and only their Google TVs show the exact technical specs of their processor.
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:42:52 AM

watchman2012 said:
I know LG LM9600 is a good 3D TV, but is it also a good smart TV? I heard it applied a dual-core processor. I know most PCs have that now but does it really make a big difference in a smart TV?

I don't buy it. My TV is not LG but the shop rep told me my TV has something that performs similarly as a dual-core processor but nothing really impressed me.
Mine is Vizio.
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:45:37 AM

paulmy said:
I don't buy it. My TV is not LG but the shop rep told me my TV has something that performs similarly as a dual-core processor but nothing really impressed me.
Mine is Vizio.

are you sure? Vizio doesn't even have the ability to produce a nice single-core processor smart TV. I doubted what you said. Or you were fooled by the guy. As far as I know, only LG has a few models and samsung has one model equipped with dual-core processor.
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:35:41 AM

the lm9600 is a dual core processor and it works very fast. How can you notice the speed difference? Scrolling through menus wont cut it. You'll have to load up apps like hulu or youtube to actually notice the diff between single/dual core chips and by all means the difference is substantial, (not saying single chips are slow though).
m
l
July 10, 2012 2:18:42 AM

Pretty much the dual-core processor will be used to run the OS on the TV as well as any apps and such that you may download to use on your TV!
m
l
July 10, 2012 6:40:40 AM

watchman2012 said:

Yes it will definitely. Due to the fact its a smartTV, which means you will do online browsing or applications that require online requirements, speed is a must. Loading will be a lot faster and run a lot smoother. If you're going to be streaming videos on youtube, dual core will stream a lot faster compared to a single processor. Facebook will be a quicker process. Even just installing applications will be faster as well as uninstalling applications.
m
l
July 12, 2012 2:03:06 AM

I currently have the LM760, and I love it. Dual processors will definitely boost everything up, whether if it is streaming online, youtube streaming, or simply just downloading applications. From videos on youtube, the LM9600 is going to blow peoples' minds.
m
l
July 13, 2012 6:00:44 AM

Feature-wise and design-wise LM9600 is one of the best high-end 3D Smart TVs that came out recently. CNET may question the picture quality of this TV but in my opinion, it really depends on your taste. If you prefer plasma, then get a Panasonic but if you will get 3D LED TV get a LG or Sony. I cannot recommend the complicated way to interact with a Samsung TV. They are just too many and not simplified.

Although I have LM9600, I would recommend you check the LG G2 Google TV. If you are looking for the most awesome features in a smartphone this year, get Samsung Galaxy S3. But when it comes to smart TV, get an LG especially the Google TV. The Play Store by Google makes it so simple for my S3 to download apps. Play Store can also do that on your Google TV (LG G2/Sony)
m
l
July 13, 2012 7:31:51 AM

Not to mention LG uses Passive 3d tech (which is obviously far more superior to active ones), their smart interface is so far the best out of many. My friend got the Sammy smart one, and my uncle got LM9600, they are not even comparable. The Sammy remote sucks and their interface is so complicated and hard to follow.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/digital-home/326... PC advisor picked LG telly for best TVs and LM9600 is even advanced model than LM670T.
m
l
July 17, 2012 12:39:07 AM

The LM9600 is one of the best end televisions you can ever get. A lot of big brands such as Samsung and Sony have been coming up with similar designs and models like the LG LM9600. However, it will be very difficult to mimick. The quality and design is definitely on top of the list for televisions.
m
l
July 17, 2012 2:25:22 AM

Is the LM9600 LM960V? If it is, the LM960V is one of the top. Don’t forget that it is in the nominee for T3 gadget award for 2012. Freeview HD is off the hook. You can check the best of BBC, ITV, or C4. If Only I could have another TV. My friend has this one and he completely loves it.
m
l
July 30, 2012 8:16:49 AM

watchman2012 said:

watchman2012, so do you have an LG LM9600?
m
l
July 30, 2012 8:17:16 AM

stackerman4690 said:
The LM9600 is one of the best end televisions you can ever get. A lot of big brands such as Samsung and Sony have been coming up with similar designs and models like the LG LM9600. However, it will be very difficult to mimick. The quality and design is definitely on top of the list for televisions.

stackerman4690, did you mean that LG LM9600 is one of the best "high-end" TVs in the market?
m
l
July 30, 2012 8:18:03 AM

tilt360com said:
Is the LM9600 LM960V? If it is, the LM960V is one of the top. Don’t forget that it is in the nominee for T3 gadget award for 2012. Freeview HD is off the hook. You can check the best of BBC, ITV, or C4. If Only I could have another TV. My friend has this one and he completely loves it.

tilt360com, are you from UK? I think LM960V is the British version of LM9600.
m
l
August 3, 2012 7:54:28 AM

peteredward said:
Not really sure what exact processor my LM9600 is powered with but I find the opening of apps and response rate fast enough. What I know is the CPU that LG Google TVs have is L9 dual-core. I checked LG's website and their new TVs and only their Google TVs show the exact technical specs of their processor.

Seems like you know a lot about lg's google tv. Are you planning to switch to g2? If you are maybe you can sell your lm9600 to me at a friendly price? :)  I saw videos of this google tv and I can't help but wish for my magic remote to also have a qwerty keypad.
m
l
August 3, 2012 8:01:54 AM

paulmy said:
Mine is Vizio.

So, the shop rep told you that vizio is just the same as lg? Obviously, he just wanted a sale. I never heard or read anything from the experts that lg and vizio are equivalent. Although I must say that a vizio is really good with first impressions especially when you're upgrading from crt and when you're considering the price. But I've seen a lot of negative feedback about it and I couldn't really dismiss them.
m
l
August 3, 2012 8:06:25 AM

trepxe said:
the lm9600 is a dual core processor and it works very fast. How can you notice the speed difference? Scrolling through menus wont cut it. You'll have to load up apps like hulu or youtube to actually notice the diff between single/dual core chips and by all means the difference is substantial, (not saying single chips are slow though).

What other apps do you usually use? I like videos from TED and I found its app in lg smart world. I can't remember though if it was for free or not. But I think it was free because almost all the apps I've seen are free but for those that charge a fee it's not that really expensive.
m
l
August 3, 2012 8:44:59 AM

slrmichael said:
Feature-wise and design-wise LM9600 is one of the best high-end 3D Smart TVs that came out recently. CNET may question the picture quality of this TV but in my opinion, it really depends on your taste. If you prefer plasma, then get a Panasonic but if you will get 3D LED TV get a LG or Sony. I cannot recommend the complicated way to interact with a Samsung TV. They are just too many and not simplified.

Although I have LM9600, I would recommend you check the LG G2 Google TV. If you are looking for the most awesome features in a smartphone this year, get Samsung Galaxy S3. But when it comes to smart TV, get an LG especially the Google TV. The Play Store by Google makes it so simple for my S3 to download apps. Play Store can also do that on your Google TV (LG G2/Sony)

CNET is not really a fan of passive 3d tvs and as we know lg developed that technology. I guess that could be a reason why they're giving lg tvs a low rating. If you check CNET UK though, you will see that they gave a high rating for lm9600's uk counterpart. It all boils down to preferences. As for me, there's nothing wrong with lm9600's picture quality. It's actually as nice as the brands that got high ratings from them.
m
l
a b x TV
August 3, 2012 3:34:08 PM

LG didn't develop, or invent Passive 3D. Polarized 3D was first conceptualized in the very late 1890s, and Chrysler showed a Polarized 3D film at the 1939 World's fair. IMAX and RealD have been developing what we currently know as Passive 3D since 2000.

In the same price range, the Sony HX929's image quality is THE LCD to beat, and it's nearly impossible to beat the Panasonic VT-50. In terms of smart TV, I think you would have a hard time saying one manufacturer was leaps and bounds ahead of the others. You might prefer a specific menu, or want one app the others don't have. That would boil down to preference. I never thought i'd see the day when people would buy a TV because it has an android tablet built in.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:45:16 AM

I just read couple of reviews about this TV, and it got overall good reviews. The only downside was the Black Levels for this TV. There are supposedly blotches for the Black Levels. I tried looking for the blotches for myself (Tron), however, I was unable to detect the blotches. Did anyone see these "blotches?"
m
l
a b x TV
August 7, 2012 6:59:56 AM

Yes, you can't really review a set based on one specific film. The splotches you are seeing are characteristic of LCD backlighting. You can typically see this on 2.85:1 films, or very very dark scenes. Generally, it is one of the main complaints of LCD.
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:34:03 AM

Of course, the dual processor would make the processing of your TV faster. It's like a computer or a smartphone. If you have one processor, that one processor is doing all the work, however, having a dual processor you are distributing the workload into two processors.
m
l
a b x TV
August 9, 2012 2:23:06 AM

That may be true in Smartphones and computers. The only thing the dual core processor does (on paper, and unsubstantiated) is make the Smart TV functions snappier. The top televisions in the world don't use dual core processors for two reasons.
A. It's 100% marketing hype
B. Its absolutely unnessecary (and extra expense)

Dual core processors have absolutely nothing to do with image quality. Check out reviews from legit sites like home theater, or videophile.

Edit: I am not discounting the LG televison quality itself, simply stating that its marketing jargon, such as 3,000,000:1 contrast ratio.
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:20:23 AM

When it comes to smart TVs processor turns out to be the leading component of the board, since it reflects the processing speed of the entire display panel; particularly for 3d gaming and movies etc. LG LM8600 and future LM9600 both have the dual core processors which perk up the absolute product worth in market.
m
l
a b x TV
August 14, 2012 7:06:08 PM

JohnMack said:
When it comes to smart TVs processor turns out to be the leading component of the board, since it reflects the processing speed of the entire display panel; particularly for 3d gaming and movies etc. LG LM8600 and future LM9600 both have the dual core processors which perk up the absolute product worth in market.

That claim is very baseless. The main purpose of the dual core processor makes the Smart TV functions quicker. The power of this chip also is tapped when using LG's frankly terrible 480Hz(or 400Hz on some systems) refresh , and Fake 3D. Basically, they cram a ton of worthless post processing into the set, they had to go to their generic parts bin to make it all work. If you have actually used the 9600, it feels quite a bit smoother than the 7600, set aside the Smart TV functions, it operates the same as any other set in the world.

The top reviewed televisions in the world don't have, or need dual core processors (Sharp Elite, Panasonic VT-50, Sony XBR HX939, Samsung 8000 Series, RIP Pioneer Elite). I would rather have a custom built video processing system/chip, than a generic LG dual core chip they use in their toasters, microwaves, vaccuums, cell phones, and fridges.
m
l
!