Setting up Network Printer

August 29, 2005 3:46:18 AM

Hi all,
I have a few pcs using Win XP-Pro in a pier-to-pier work group. I'm rying
to setup a printer accross the net work, and when I typed in the address of
the printer os on another pc, eg. \\192.168.1.1 and right click on the
Printer and select Connect. An error message come up:

"Window cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed
incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server"

Have any one have seen this problem before? I tried google but couldn't find
a solution. Please help!! TIA

regards,

John.
August 29, 2005 10:13:32 AM

John wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a few pcs using Win XP-Pro in a pier-to-pier work group. I'm
> rying to setup a printer accross the net work, and when I typed in the
> address of the printer os on another pc, eg. \\192.168.1.1 and right
> click on the
> Printer and select Connect. An error message come up:
>
> "Window cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was
> typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to
> the server"
>
> Have any one have seen this problem before? I tried google but
> couldn't find
> a solution. Please help!! TIA

This is a networked printer, right? Are you doing it this way?

From the Printer applet - Add New Printer
Choose Local Printer (not network printer)
New Port - Standard TCP/IP
Now the TCP/IP wizard should start up. Put in the IP address of the
printer.
And so on.

What is the printer/make model? Does it give instructions how to install
it on your network? Please give more details about the printer and how
you have installed it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:46:18 -0700, "John"
<John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a few pcs using Win XP-Pro in a pier-to-pier work group. I'm rying
>to setup a printer accross the net work, and when I typed in the address of
>the printer os on another pc, eg. \\192.168.1.1 and right click on the
>Printer and select Connect. An error message come up:
>
>"Window cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed
>incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server"
>
>Have any one have seen this problem before? I tried google but couldn't find
>a solution. Please help!! TIA
>
>regards,
>
>John.

Which "piers" are you connecting to? One if Florida up to one
somewhere else on the coast? :)  Oh, you meant "peer."

Without lots more details you won't get good help.

1. How are you connecting the printer? Via a computer and sharing,
or directly to a hub/router?

2. How does the printer get it's IP address? Hard coded or DHCP?

3. How is the printer managed? It is managed via its own TCP/IP port
on the network (each user managing their own queues) or from a Print
Server?
!