Whenever I boot my XP Home system a Windows Installer window opens with the
following.

"Copy

Please wait while Windows configures Copy."

then in another window

"Copy

Internal Error 2908"

So each time I start the computer I have to run the Task Manager and delete
the Copy process to get rid of the above messages. The system operates
normally after that.

What can I do to stop this from happening?

John Melbourne
--
enruoblem

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

John Melbourne wrote:

> Whenever I boot my XP Home system a Windows Installer window opens with the
> following.
>
> "Copy
>
> Please wait while Windows configures Copy."
>
> then in another window
>
> "Copy
>
> Internal Error 2908"
>
> So each time I start the computer I have to run the Task Manager and delete
> the Copy process to get rid of the above messages. The system operates
> normally after that.
>
> What can I do to stop this from happening?
>
> John Melbourne

Look at the Windows Installer Clean up Utility:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290301

Another option is clean boot troubleshooting:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks Rock

Very helpful information. I had never heard of Windows Installer clean-Up
utility.

After I installed the clean-up program I removed 'Copy' from the list of
applications and now I can reboot without seeing any error message or Windows
Installer windows.

John Melbourne
--
enruoblem

"Rock" wrote:

> John Melbourne wrote:
>
> > Whenever I boot my XP Home system a Windows Installer window opens with the
> > following.
> >
> > "Copy
> >
> > Please wait while Windows configures Copy."
> >
> > then in another window
> >
> > "Copy
> >
> > Internal Error 2908"
> >
> > So each time I start the computer I have to run the Task Manager and delete
> > the Copy process to get rid of the above messages. The system operates
> > normally after that.
> >
> > What can I do to stop this from happening?
> >
> > John Melbourne
>
> Look at the Windows Installer Clean up Utility:
>
> Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290301
>
> Another option is clean boot troubleshooting:
> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

John Melbourne wrote:

> Thanks Rock
>
> Very helpful information. I had never heard of Windows Installer clean-Up
> utility.
>
> After I installed the clean-up program I removed 'Copy' from the list of
> applications and now I can reboot without seeing any error message or Windows
> Installer windows.
>
> John Melbourne

Great John, glad it worked for you and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User