extended coverage for an existing 802.11x wireless network.

Where/can I get an accessory antenna for extended coverage
for an existing 802.11x wireless network for my micro soft
broadband wireless network set up?.
1 answer Last reply
More about extended coverage existing wireless network

    No such animal. The only way to extend the range with the Microsoft
    hardware is to follow the following instructions.

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
    or MN-700 #2
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
    or MN-700 #3 (if available)

    Make sure all MN-100s & MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

    Make sure all MN-700s are running the latest firmware 2.01.02.0590

    Now lets look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    router mode
    LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
    some SSID (if wireless)
    some WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
    channel 6 (if wireless)

    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #2
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID (if wireless)
    same WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
    channel 1 (if wireless)

    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID (if wireless)
    same WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
    channel 11 (if wireless)

    If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (if using the MN-700) the
    same for all base stations, people will be able to move between
    locations and get a connection.

    If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
    have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
    networks.

    You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
    prevent interference.

    Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
    & 11 do.

    Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

    There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

    dan wrote:
    > Where/can I get an accessory antenna for extended coverage
    > for an existing 802.11x wireless network for my micro soft
    > broadband wireless network set up?.

Routers Hardware Broadband Wireless Network Microsoft Accessories Networking