jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Hi, in my Windows directory, i have quite a few folders, compressed,
taking up about a gig of HD space. I've read that if everything is
running ok, you can safelyt delete these folders. However, is it
posssible to copy these folders to another location (drive) to free up
space on the host drive, and still use them if necessary later on? Or
should i just delete them and take the chance?

Thanks
Jamie
Jamie O'Brien
jamien@interworx.com.au

A lot of them become out of date and are superceded by other updates.

Folders that have uninstall as part of the name (for example $NtUninstallKB282010$
which reside in C:\windows (hidden folders) are Window Hot Fix Update folders/files)
can be safely deleted (providing you never wish to uninstall the updates). I would
recommend leaving these folders for a period of at least a month to make sure the
update is working correctly.

These updates can be deleted individually or in multiples. To find out more about the
update/s go to:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX
NB: XXXXXX = the actual number not including the "Q" or "KB"

Once you have deleted the uninstall folders/files, then go to Control Panel,
Add/Remove Programs. Select the matching Windows Hotfix Title relating the update
folder/file you have just deleted and select remove. You will get a Windows error.
This is because you have deleted the uninstall folder/files. Just choose OK and the
entry will be deleted from the Add/Remove Programs Listing.

If you prefer see:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries.