Toms reviews make you stupid

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
But they have failed for the most part.
Most the community here is too smart to take much from the reviews here anymore, they go elsewhere for more reliable hardware reviews.
Been a poster here for a while, mostly just a reader as of late. Its been painfully obvious that the reviews here have become a little bit too biased and the latest athlon 64 review made me raise an eyebrow or two. If you dont know why this review was biased then your just the kind of moron they are selling Intel Xeons with EXTREME EDITION on them.
Toms reviews are all marketing it seems, how many videocard/motherboard boxes have you seen with a big "TOMS HARDWARE" sticker or something on it. Maybe there is some behind the sceens money exchanging hands or some other crap going on, perhaps the reveiwers here are just plain retards, who knows for sure. One thing is for sure, almost all other sites show a very differnt picture on a vast range of types of computer hardware,and those sites are the ones you should be listening too.

Sex is like a card game, if you dont have a good partner you had better have a good hand.

panabob

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Most the community here is too smart to take much from the reviews here anymore, they go elsewhere for more reliable hardware reviews.
Yeah, I only read the A64 vs P4 EE review to laugh my ass off and see what the latest BS by THG was. I used to read reviews here, but now I come to get laughs, and got plenty from the <i>relatively few</i>, but still <i>militantly biased</i> freaks in this forum. Please stay here and don't waste space on the better HW forums on the net ; )

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Most the community here is too smart ""... ""perhaps the reviewers here are just plain retards"" - i guess no body told you how stupid you are to counter act yer own thoughts in the same post and not following even what you, yer own self, is saying.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Yeah, I only read the.. review""... ""I used to read reviews here"" .. ""Please stay here""... "I only read the.. "" - are you brotherz with bloaty? have no logic at all

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

rain_king_uk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
I don't see where he contradicted what he said - he said the community (us) are too smart, which most of us are, and the people who did the review for THG are either biased or retarded, which I won't comment on although I kind of agree with one of those.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
but now I come to get laughs, and got plenty from the relatively few, but still militantly biased freaks in this forum
In psychology, they call that projection.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
lol, that was great.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
i guess no body told you how stupid you are to counter act yer own thoughts in the same post and not following even what you, yer own self, is saying.

That was funny! Not only do you do you not know what your talking about but you also used the word "yer" like you were some kind of a pirate. Try using "arrrr!" at the end of every other sentence, it should help you seem more swashbucklerish.

Sex is like a card game, if you dont have a good partner you had better have a good hand.

G

Captain Obvious needs to medicate everyone in this Thread!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
*spud pulls out lithium* Here try some of the good stuff.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7013108" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1311896" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

Incitatus

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Why do people get so scared? It's so funny, then they cover their fear with aggression. Why is it such a frightening thing to admit this THG review was TOTALLY wrong.

G

He is right though, crash. I don't frequent this site, nor this forum anymore for reasons you and most "old hands" may remember. But when I read comments on this review on other sites, I thought I had to check it out for myself... and frankly, I was astounded. Wether it is caused by bias, bribe or simply inability (read: stupidity) this review is probably a new all time low, even for THG. Many of the discussions going on here are even more pathetic, immature, and downright silly.

If you people want to stick to this site, and follow THG's recommendation, by all means Spud & co, go out and buy those Geforce FX cards and wait for those P4EE's. fine by me, Im sure you'll be happy with them. If you want real information to base a sensible purchase decission upon, I can only recommend to read as many reviews as you can, and make up your own mind (that is, if you have one, and you don't lack the ability to make it up all by yourself).As an avid gamer, mine is made up, easiest decission in a long time; here you have cpu that trounces that fastest P4 in 7 game benchmarks, while loosing only in 2 and tie-ing in 3 others (source: aces). Its far cheaper, and gives me 64 bit ability for free. How hard a decission could that be ? My 3200+ A64 is ordered.

But hey, if you want to count 3 irrelevant 640x480x16 (!) Quake3 subbenches as 3 seperate benchmarks, and attribute them more weight than a few demanding (DX9) games to conclude a non existing overclocked cpu is the better choice, please don't let me stop you..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
But hey, if you want to count 3 irrelevant 640x480x16 (!) Quake3 subbenches as 3 seperate benchmarks, and attribute them more weight than a few demanding (DX9) games to conclude a non existing overclocked cpu is the better choice, please don't let me stop you..
AMEN!

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Of particular interest is why Tom himself did not choose to participate in this review. Anand cetainly did. One has to wonder is if THG is nothing more than a cash cow to Tom nowadays.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ncogneto on 09/24/03 11:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
But hey, if you want to count 3 irrelevant 640x480x16 (!) Quake3 subbenches as 3 seperate benchmarks
Have you <i>read</i> the review? it's testing CPUs, not comparing AGP/GPU performance. using higher settings would start to lean more heavily on these factors than the CPU. Using such minimal settings levels the playing field in this area. This is information contained in the review, and I have seen similar settings used in a past CPU review for exactly the same reasons, and no-one gave a rat's-ass then, why is it now such a problem?

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

G

Yeah I read most of it -unfortunately. using quake3 in 640x480 turns it into a synthetic bench that bares zero relevance to actual gaming performance. It can be usefull when trying to analyse some behaviour (say, impact of memory latency/bandwith with difference CAS settings, etc, .), but its no longer a usefull real world gaming bench AT ALL. Quake3 is obsolete as such, and has been since the first 1 GHz cpu's.

Also consider benching 640x480 performance is just as much a GPU driver bench as a CPU bench. Have a look at aces', and see how the tables turn when you increase the resolution to realistic values (1024+) on many games. Coincidence ?

Anyway, if they still want to use it, fine, who cares, could be interesting from a historical perspective or something, but please, PLEASE don't use such nonsense bench to declare a "performance crown" either way. Its about as relevant as cachemem results of 32kb blocks. Not only that, they do three of these Q3 tests, and give them the same weighing as eg X2 or gunmetal. Thats about as silly as giving equal weighing to cachemem results for 1,2,4,8,16,...,32768 kb blocks and then saying cpu X wins 134 benchmarks out of 139.

But that is only just one simple example, I'm too lazy and not motivated enough to point out all the other obvious flaws. Do your own reading, make up your own mind.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
to conclude a...overclocked cpu is the better choice
One of these days you're going to lie like that and be killed (if there is any justice in this world). If I see it, I'll laugh. I've been battered in interigation rooms for hours because people lied. I've seen guys spend years in prison for other's lies. So I can't tolerate lying. Be as one sided as you like, it's all opinion and speculation until you perform what is to me the ultimate sin, an outright lie.

For those of you who have been conned by this man's smooth talk, P4's do exist at 3.2GHz. This is not an overclocked speed. As for the 3.2EE being unreleased, this is true, but remember that every convincing lie starts out with some truth.

As for you bb, nice trickery on your part, reserving your outright lie to the end, so I would actually read that far before desiring your death instead of ignoring your crap to begin with.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Ouch!!!

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7013108" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1311896" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

G

>For those of you who have been conned by this man's smooth
>talk, P4's do exist at 3.2GHz

Geez Crash, take a shill pill or something. Isnt it obvious the "overclocked" referred to the 3.6 GHz EE ? Or are you telling me that one exists ?

My "conclude" did not refer directly to THG's picking the P4EE as the "winner", but to the opinion many people make by just glancing over the charts, and seeing a P4 on top systematically without noticing (conciously or subconsiously) those are unavailable, and mostly inexesting, overclocked chips. THG rectified that now.

Anyway, I'd appreciate you not calling me a liar for lacking any reading comprehension yourself.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But hey, if you want to count 3 irrelevant 640x480x16 (!) Quake3 subbenches as 3 seperate benchmarks, and attribute them more weight than a few demanding (DX9) games to <b>conclude a non existing overclocked cpu is the better choice</b>, please don't let me stop you..

It certainly sounds like you're refering to parallel conclusions between those of the reader and the one in the article...which refered only to the 3.2EE.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yes, I want TOM PABST doing reviews on this groundbreaking stuff.

That way, we are guaranteed a good article, his name is on the line instead of some cohort that can take the fall and we get the man himself.

The whole admittance to being wrong about this shows THG will have to change, and they realize this now.

This forum is near mutiny besides our usual retard intel loyalists who seemed to have no objections.

-----
eden is my intel/ati superboy

G

It certainly sounds like you're refering to parallel conclusions between those of the reader and the one in the article...which refered only to the 3.2EE.
I was wondering why you were defending THG that much and then I saw : (Honorary Guru of THGC) .

As for the Athlon 64 : the 3200+ version is in 32bit better in gaming then anything intel has on the market now and its a 100$ cheaper . For applictaions in 32 bit it depends on the application (some won by AMD some by intel) but if you see at how much improvement there is in 64bit ...

As for the FX-51 it beats the P4 EE 3,2GHz by an avg of 10% . In applications its in general a couple % slower (again it depends on wich aplication you look at) . the price of the FX-51 shoulmd be the same or a bit under the P4 EE .

For people buying a new PC its obvious for low-end mid or high end users its AMD thats the best choice now. Only for those who only run very specific aplications frequently in wich intel is the faster and dont game or do anything else, its intel.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So now you claim BIAS on my part? You can go to hell too. I've met people like you before.

Look at the argument: A guy implies it took an overclocked CPU to win the "competition". The CPU he's refering to insn't overclocked. And you conclude that I'm biased for telling the truth.

Did you know that "ring around the collor" is often caused the the shirt collor chaffing skin from the neck? I was once called racist for saying the dark skinnned people are more likely to have this problem in their laudry. Must have been a person like you making that accusation, the logic is similar.

So if I'm not "working for the man" why would I defend him? I get most of my reviews from Anantech. The results of their review were similar to this one. Yet their conclusion was a little gentler on AMD. Fine, and both were good reviews. But we get all kinds of people in here trying to tear this site apart because they don't like what they saw. Even if what they saw was accurate. And I simply don't shy away from confrontation with idiots.

G

But hey, if <b>you</b> want to count 3 irrelevant 640x480x16 (!) Quake3 subbenches as 3 seperate benchmarks, and attribute them more weight than a few demanding (DX9) games to conclude a non existing overclocked cpu is the better choice, please don't let me stop <b>you..</b>

Where did you get the idea "you" referred to THG ? I was, however, implying that the chart design, and the inclusion of the overclocked P4EE results would make it more likely "you", ie the reader would conclude "P4 beats Athlon64", and is a better choice.

Like I said, your reading comprehension needs work, now stuff the personal attacks and insults.