Question About Installing Hard Drive

Barry

I want to take the hd that was the slave in a computer running
Windows ME and use it as a slave in a computer running XP Pro.

Here's where advice is needed:

It's my understanding the file systems in ME and XP are different.
What do I have to do before installing the hd? Do I install it and
then format it? Frankly I don't know if I'm making more of a problem
out of this then it really is.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Barry

Neobyte

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002

It will work fine without formatting. Once installed, if you want to
convert the slave drive from its current file system (FAT) to the
Windows XP Pro native filesystem (NTFS) without losing the files
already on the drive, just go to a command prompt, navigate to the new
drive (e.g. D:\), and type:

convert d: /fs:ntfs

Your old files will be preserved, but you will be able to take
advantage of NTFS features, such as file security, compression,
encryption etc. The conversion process requires about 10% of the drive
to be free, if memory serves.

Barry wrote:
> I want to take the hd that was the slave in a computer running
> Windows ME and use it as a slave in a computer running XP Pro.
>
> Here's where advice is needed:
>
> It's my understanding the file systems in ME and XP are different.
> What do I have to do before installing the hd? Do I install it and
> then format it? Frankly I don't know if I'm making more of a problem
> out of this then it really is.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Barry

Like so many things in life the answer is: just do it. XP supports both
its own file system and the older style FAT file system. That means that
it can happily read/write/manage what is on your old drive. You should
realize that the old file system isn't nearly as reliable or secure as
the new but you can certainly hook up the old drive and then you may, if
you wish, reformat it or convert it or use it as it is.

Of course you still need to be careful about drive jumpering and such
but that has nothing to do with the file systems involved.

John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

First, check the jumpers on the existing drive.
Some drives have a single master or master with slave jumper.
The file system is not a problem.
--
Ron Sommer

"Barry" <bsachais@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I want to take the hd that was the slave in a computer running
> Windows ME and use it as a slave in a computer running XP Pro.
>
> Here's where advice is needed:
>
> It's my understanding the file systems in ME and XP are different.
> What do I have to do before installing the hd? Do I install it and
> then format it? Frankly I don't know if I'm making more of a problem
> out of this then it really is.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Barry

dl

Just install as slave in your Winxp pc
Winxp can access Fat and ntfs
Format if required using Disk Management

"Barry" <bsachais@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I want to take the hd that was the slave in a computer running
> Windows ME and use it as a slave in a computer running XP Pro.
>
> Here's where advice is needed:
>
> It's my understanding the file systems in ME and XP are different.
> What do I have to do before installing the hd? Do I install it and
> then format it? Frankly I don't know if I'm making more of a problem
> out of this then it really is.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Barry

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

"Barry" <bsachais@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I want to take the hd that was the slave in a computer running
> Windows ME and use it as a slave in a computer running XP Pro.
>
> Here's where advice is needed:
>
> It's my understanding the file systems in ME and XP are different.
> What do I have to do before installing the hd? Do I install it and
> then format it? Frankly I don't know if I'm making more of a problem
> out of this then it really is.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Barry

Hi
No problem, install the drive as slave, make sure it shows in the bios
ntfs file systems can see fat 32 but not the otherway round,
so you may want to format to ntfs
to do this go into my computer,right click on your slave drive,click the
format tab,select ntfs as
file system,tick the quick format box then start
done
chas