Gogs

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

Hi,

My PC is constantly freezing at the welcome screen. It's running a fresh
install of XP. When I installed it I wasn't at home and used a different
monitor, keyboard and mouse and it boots normally. When I got it home it
started to freeze at the welcome screen.

I've managed to boot in to safe mode and thought it may be a display setting
problem but when I check the setting the resolution is at 800 x 600 and the
colour is at 32 bit. I changed the colour setting to 16 bit and rebooted the
PC and it seemed to work. But on checking the settings it had reverted back
to 32bit. If I then power off the PC and leave it for an hour or so it will
only boot up to the welcome screen again before freezing and I have to go
through the same routine again.

I'm wondering if it is the display settings and I need to tell XP which
monitor I have. The Graphics card is a ATI Sapphire Radeon 9250? Or could it
be something trying to load up at normal start up that isn't being loaded up
in Safe mode?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Gogs

Have you recently removed spyware?
http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Gogs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My PC is constantly freezing at the welcome screen. It's running a fresh
> install of XP. When I installed it I wasn't at home and used a different
> monitor, keyboard and mouse and it boots normally. When I got it home it
> started to freeze at the welcome screen.
>
> I've managed to boot in to safe mode and thought it may be a display setting
> problem but when I check the setting the resolution is at 800 x 600 and the
> colour is at 32 bit. I changed the colour setting to 16 bit and rebooted the
> PC and it seemed to work. But on checking the settings it had reverted back
> to 32bit. If I then power off the PC and leave it for an hour or so it will
> only boot up to the welcome screen again before freezing and I have to go
> through the same routine again.
>
> I'm wondering if it is the display settings and I need to tell XP which
> monitor I have. The Graphics card is a ATI Sapphire Radeon 9250? Or could it
> be something trying to load up at normal start up that isn't being loaded up
> in Safe mode?
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> Gogs

Gogs

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

No, It hadn't even been on the internet since it was reinstalled. So no need
to have ran anything like that.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Have you recently removed spyware?
> http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Gogs wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My PC is constantly freezing at the welcome screen. It's running a fresh
> > install of XP. When I installed it I wasn't at home and used a different
> > monitor, keyboard and mouse and it boots normally. When I got it home it
> > started to freeze at the welcome screen.
> >
> > I've managed to boot in to safe mode and thought it may be a display setting
> > problem but when I check the setting the resolution is at 800 x 600 and the
> > colour is at 32 bit. I changed the colour setting to 16 bit and rebooted the
> > PC and it seemed to work. But on checking the settings it had reverted back
> > to 32bit. If I then power off the PC and leave it for an hour or so it will
> > only boot up to the welcome screen again before freezing and I have to go
> > through the same routine again.
> >
> > I'm wondering if it is the display settings and I need to tell XP which
> > monitor I have. The Graphics card is a ATI Sapphire Radeon 9250? Or could it
> > be something trying to load up at normal start up that isn't being loaded up
> > in Safe mode?
> >
> > Any ideas greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Gogs

It seems to be a video driver problem.You have to reinstall/update the
video driver.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Gogs wrote:

> No, It hadn't even been on the internet since it was reinstalled. So no need
> to have ran anything like that.
>
> Thanks for the reply anyway.
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>

>>Have you recently removed spyware?
>>http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
>>
>>regards,
>>ssg MS-MVP
>>
>>Gogs wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>My PC is constantly freezing at the welcome screen. It's running a fresh
>>>install of XP. When I installed it I wasn't at home and used a different
>>>monitor, keyboard and mouse and it boots normally. When I got it home it
>>>started to freeze at the welcome screen.
>>>
>>>I've managed to boot in to safe mode and thought it may be a display setting
>>>problem but when I check the setting the resolution is at 800 x 600 and the
>>>colour is at 32 bit. I changed the colour setting to 16 bit and rebooted the
>>>PC and it seemed to work. But on checking the settings it had reverted back
>>>to 32bit. If I then power off the PC and leave it for an hour or so it will
>>>only boot up to the welcome screen again before freezing and I have to go
>>>through the same routine again.
>>>
>>>I'm wondering if it is the display settings and I need to tell XP which
>>>monitor I have. The Graphics card is a ATI Sapphire Radeon 9250? Or could it
>>>be something trying to load up at normal start up that isn't being loaded up
>>>in Safe mode?
>>>
>>>Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Gogs

Gogs

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking along those lines myself. I guess I'll
try when I get home