Sound does not work when headphones are in

This problem started a few months ago and it's becoming very irritating. Whenever I plug my Ipod earphones into my laptop, there is no audio. When I take them out of the audio outlet, the sound returns. The speakers play sound perfectly. The earphones aren't defective because they play sound perfectly when plugged into my ipod. What could possibly be causing this problem?

My laptop is an HP dv6700t. It is currently running Windows Vista 64 bit. If you need any additional info, please let me know.
10 answers Last reply
More about sound work headphones
  1. if you have your soundcard set to play in stereo (most likely the default), it will not play when two devices are plugged in. In windows 7 you can select which audio device you want to direct sound to.

    There is a dongle you can purchase - it allows you to have your speakers and headphones plugged into the same audio input jack. They are very cheap and an excellent solution (trust me, I have dealt with this problem for a while)
  2. ampedal said:
    if you have your soundcard set to play in stereo (most likely the default), it will not play when two devices are plugged in. In windows 7 you can select which audio device you want to direct sound to.

    There is a dongle you can purchase - it allows you to have your speakers and headphones plugged into the same audio input jack. They are very cheap and an excellent solution (trust me, I have dealt with this problem for a while)


    But why is this happening at all? In the past, I would just plug the earphones into the audiojack and it would work flawlessly. Why is it not working flawlessly now? I never changed any of the settings.
  3. the settings will vary depending upon your operating system, sound cards, configured settings, drivers...etc - there are numerous reasons why this is happening... All software.

    Fortunately there is a relatively cheap and effective hardware fix so that you never have to mess with your software settings again.

    The turtle beach headphones I just purchased come with the dongle I described for free - they're also a very nice set of headphones. Be sure that if you buy anything turtle beach, get it from them direct as their warranty does not cover after-market sales. Their tech support is outstanding.
  4. ampedal said:
    the settings will vary depending upon your operating system, sound cards, configured settings, drivers...etc - there are numerous reasons why this is happening... All software.

    Fortunately there is a relatively cheap and effective hardware fix so that you never have to mess with your software settings again.

    The turtle beach headphones I just purchased come with the dongle I described for free - they're also a very nice set of headphones. Be sure that if you buy anything turtle beach, get it from them direct as their warranty does not cover after-market sales. Their tech support is outstanding.


    I really don't want to go out and buy another pair of headphones. Also, how do you know that this is a software problem? How do you know that this is not an issue with the sound card?
  5. sounds like the headphone jack my be defective, but I would try uninstalling and reinstalling all sound drivers first to be sure the problem isn't a corrupted driver.
  6. mikekazik1 said:
    I really don't want to go out and buy another pair of headphones. Also, how do you know that this is a software problem? How do you know that this is not an issue with the sound card?

    You don't have to buy another set of headphones - just the dongle I'm talking about... http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-mm-1-MALE-TO-2-FEMALE-AUDIO-STEREO-SPLITTER-CABLE_W0QQitemZ270537519447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item3efd4af157

    $2 you're good to go
  7. ampedal said:
    You don't have to buy another set of headphones - just the dongle I'm talking about... http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-mm-1-MALE-TO-2-FEMALE-AUDIO-STEREO-SPLITTER-CABLE_W0QQitemZ270537519447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item3efd4af157

    $2 you're good to go


    I don't want a dongle. I just want my laptop to work as it should. I already tried to reinstall the sound card drivers, as someone else suggested. However, that did not solve the problem. I guess there is a problem with the sound card after all.
  8. ampedal

    it is a laptop there is no speaker jack to plug the dongle into
  9. at least I got to use the word dongle, and then have others repeat it...
  10. at least something productive came of this
Ask a new question

Read More

iPod Headphones Laptops