How to change a document type icon

I want to change the icon that appears on txt files. They were once
associated with NoteTab Pro and look like a red cross ensignia.

I now use TextPad and have associated txt files with it. However
when working from filetype dialog accessed from
explorer/tools/folder options/file types

I see no opportunity to change the file type. It is listed as:

NoteTabPro txt and
Opens with textpad.

Its easy to change the `opens with' part but even with the advanced
selection I see no way to change the type or its icon.

One would expect the type to change to TextPad and have the TextPad
icon but it does not.

One would not expect that. Click restore then Advanced and change the icon. Open With has nothing to do with File Associations. It's a superceding feature.