guesswhosback

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
Something is rotten in denmark

Where is prescott

they say december

but why compete against your own future product.

I been real hard on PRESCOTT mainly because i have read volumes of threads and article about how .90 will be a hard transistion.

Most INTEL TROOPERS seem to think its very simple

well its obvious INTEL is having alot of problems with PRESCOTT and the P4 EE is evidence.

It was a contigency plan against the hammer in case PRESSY was a lil late.

I think INTEL will stop gap with the P4 EE and 3.2 and hope they have PRESSY ready b4 they need to release a p4 EE 3.4 GHZ

I believe alot depends on how the a64 ramps.... If AMD busts out with a 2.4 or 2.5 GHZ a64 as rumored.... Intel will be forced to release more P4EE models

Now the intel faithful here can call me a bunch of names... but i firmly believe i am right on

i still dont expect PRESSY in any kind of volume b4 Q2 04

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hmm maybe or maybe they arent worried since teh A64 didnt put up much of a fight at all.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7013108" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1311896" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
but why compete against your own future product.

Hehe, the EE has no bearing on the Prescott. It's a temporary product made for the short term. It's costing them nearly nothing in developement to make the EE, they already have the equipment there for making the Xeons.

So them giving a Dec 3 release date sounds no more or less realistic to me than mid November or early January. The fact of the matter is, Dec 3 is still more than 2 months away, you didn't think they'd let that amount of time pass without challenging the FX-51 did you?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
i think q2 is a little pessimistic, especially considering thats when roadmaps show them releasing other mhz's, imo january it'll be easily available, due to intels fab techniques where if they make a change in one they make it in all, once they have the process they can flood the market with enough chips to satisfy demand.
and I honestly don't think we'd be hearing release dates if intel didn't have some grasp on production

G

Also some1 said that maybe they had to many Xeon with L3 cache. Rebag them rename them and voila!You got yourself a P4 EE. Good temp product that steals a part of the limelight from tha A64 lauch.
Anyway the Extra cache give a pretty good performance boost more than I would have expected looking at the new Xeon...
The way I see it Intel probly dont expect selling many EE its just marketing...
And poopy your post are getting better I also agree that Q2 2004 is pessimistic but Q1 2004 might be possible now that they have something to keep up with the A64 in the meantime...

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Something is rotten in denmark

I see you've read Hamlet before, or are reading it now. That's a popular line but it goes more like "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark". Do you read other literature Pope?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!