GE security camera on PC

Bought a securtiy camera with RCA video(yellow) and mono audio (white) what is the best way to go about hooking it up to a computer to record the video, win7
6 answers Last reply
More about security camera
  1. user-one said:
    Bought a securtiy camera with RCA video(yellow) and mono audio (white) what is the best way to go about hooking it up to a computer to record the video, win7

Would be great if your camera was USB or FireWire. Then you just plug it in and load a video capture software.

In your case i'm assuming RCA is the only ouput of the camera, then you need to buy a video capture card for your desktop or a PCMCIA version if it's to be connected to a laptop. If you type >> video capture << into Amazon, you'll find relevant stuff.
  2. ordered a rca to usb video adapter, wondering if i can use fraps to capture videos or i might just leave it running to a vhs on record and watch it if i need to. mostly night security
  3. user-one said:
    ordered a rca to usb video adapter, wondering if i can use fraps to capture videos or i might just leave it running to a vhs on record and watch it if i need to. mostly night security

Uggh... you don't make much sense! If you already bought RCA, then just connect it to a video recorder and record on LP or whatever settings it is recommended to do it at (like 15 frames/sec)... I don't have a security rule book but if this is your business, then you need to know what you are doing in case you get litigated. In a court, the lawyer will try to prove that you're the equivalent of BOOB.

If you have a desktop computer that will "stay on" all the time (Check: Control Panel >> Power Options), then connect that USB convertor and do some test using your recording software. There's probably a couple free ones that will do motion detection recording (stored as sequential date-stamped pictures or an AVI file with/without audio).

A couple of issues come to mind... length of cable and could the thief access recordings and delete them.
  4. LOL dude its for my house calm down. for one its a wireless camera that takes DC power, noone in my nieghborhood is even remotely computer literate, i would much rather have it stored on a HDD then on VHS for various reasons, which is why i ordered the rca to usb adapter, what is so hard to understand about this?
  5. Cool now u seem a bit more alive. Give me the following details (which for some reason u completely omitted):
    - Camera make and model (+web link)
    - The name of that USB convertor (+link)
    - the pc you want to connect to and its operating system
  6. ive gotten everything working fairly well but the night vision range is horrible and the video quality isnt very good, if they are over 15-20 ft away its very blurry. but this is mostly to scare away the morons on my street, i didnt give the model # before becuz i wasnt even sure i was gonna keep it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_188897-1353-45234_0_?productId=3080291&Ntt=security+camera&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=security camera

in windows 7, adapter is just a passive adapter with female rca's, svideo and usb to computer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cameras Security Video Peripherals