GE security camera on PC

user-one

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Bought a securtiy camera with RCA video(yellow) and mono audio (white) what is the best way to go about hooking it up to a computer to record the video, win7

G

Would be great if your camera was USB or FireWire. Then you just plug it in and load a video capture software.

In your case i'm assuming RCA is the only ouput of the camera, then you need to buy a video capture card for your desktop or a PCMCIA version if it's to be connected to a laptop. If you type >> video capture << into Amazon, you'll find relevant stuff.

user-one

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
ordered a rca to usb video adapter, wondering if i can use fraps to capture videos or i might just leave it running to a vhs on record and watch it if i need to. mostly night security

G

Uggh... you don't make much sense! If you already bought RCA, then just connect it to a video recorder and record on LP or whatever settings it is recommended to do it at (like 15 frames/sec)... I don't have a security rule book but if this is your business, then you need to know what you are doing in case you get litigated. In a court, the lawyer will try to prove that you're the equivalent of BOOB.

If you have a desktop computer that will "stay on" all the time (Check: Control Panel >> Power Options), then connect that USB convertor and do some test using your recording software. There's probably a couple free ones that will do motion detection recording (stored as sequential date-stamped pictures or an AVI file with/without audio).

A couple of issues come to mind... length of cable and could the thief access recordings and delete them.

user-one

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
LOL dude its for my house calm down. for one its a wireless camera that takes DC power, noone in my nieghborhood is even remotely computer literate, i would much rather have it stored on a HDD then on VHS for various reasons, which is why i ordered the rca to usb adapter, what is so hard to understand about this?

G

Cool now u seem a bit more alive. Give me the following details (which for some reason u completely omitted):
- Camera make and model (+web link)
- The name of that USB convertor (+link)
- the pc you want to connect to and its operating system

user-one

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
ive gotten everything working fairly well but the night vision range is horrible and the video quality isnt very good, if they are over 15-20 ft away its very blurry. but this is mostly to scare away the morons on my street, i didnt give the model # before becuz i wasnt even sure i was gonna keep it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_188897-1353-45234_0_?productId=3080291&Ntt=security+camera&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=security camera

in windows 7, adapter is just a passive adapter with female rca's, svideo and usb to computer.