Tech: Bulbs keep burning out

Last response: in Video Games
July 21, 2005 6:19:40 PM

I have a HSII and the #555 bulb under the "Hold Bonus" insert keeps
burning out. If I switch sockets with a working insert, it works okay
for a little bit, then burns out again. If I pull the now non-working
bulb out and try it back where it was, it no longer works (bulb IS
burned out). What is causing these bulbs to burn out in this insert?

Thanks,

Mark

More about : tech bulbs burning

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:30:57 PM

It's not a flasher socket. The lamp board is working 10 inserts with
#555 bulbs. This particular one (Hold Bonus) burns the bulbs.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:45:46 PM

My stargate was burning out bulbs consistently in the same sockets. I
bought some of the high end GE bulbs from happs control (#47's),
problem solved so far. I think that the more expensive bulbs are just
more voltage tollerant.

Taylor34
July 21, 2005 8:26:07 PM

Are you putting in the right bulb ? #555 are around 6 volts, if that is a
flasher socket, about 12 volts, you need to stick a #906 or #912 in there.
LTG :)

<moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a HSII and the #555 bulb under the "Hold Bonus" insert keeps
> burning out. If I switch sockets with a working insert, it works okay
> for a little bit, then burns out again. If I pull the now non-working
> bulb out and try it back where it was, it no longer works (bulb IS
> burned out). What is causing these bulbs to burn out in this insert?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:39:07 PM

Then check the voltage to the socket, if that is right, then you have a bad
bunch of bulbs. There were #555's out there with 3 volt filaments awhile
back. If votage is high, then you have some wiring issues. LTG :)

> It's not a flasher socket. The lamp board is working 10 inserts with
> #555 bulbs. This particular one (Hold Bonus) burns the bulbs.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:36:20 PM

> I have a HSII and the #555 bulb under the "Hold Bonus" insert keeps
> burning out. If I switch sockets with a working insert, it works okay
> for a little bit, then burns out again. If I pull the now non-working
> bulb out and try it back where it was, it no longer works (bulb IS
> burned out). What is causing these bulbs to burn out in this insert?

Make sure the bulb is not contacting the playfield. The vibration in that
part of the pf from the flippers is bad and could be transferring to the
bulb killing it prematurely.

If that bulb is part of a light pcb under the pf, then check the solder
joints around the connector pins.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
------------------------------­--------------
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:31:59 PM

You may have a lamp matrix problem- column or row of lamps stuck on - no
blanking- that sort of thing. This keeps the lamps in the row/column turned
on more frequently than others and they'll typically glow brighter or appear
to not go out, or not go out as often as they should.

You may want to run the game's lamp test- invdividual lamp test- and see if
you notice any anomalies like several lamps staying on together, some
burning brighter than normal, etc. This may provide more clues and may
elude to a circuitry problem on the power/driver board.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA