Problem with Proliant dl380

Hallo to everyone,
I've a strange problem with dl380 and 36 GB HD SCS3 coming from a 4100 disc
array.
Infact after 2 disc testing, I've a message of imminent failure and
aftersome minutes the HD crashes.

Just because it happenede with 2 discs and on a dl580, Ithink there is
something wrong I do while configuring the disc array.
Unfortunately it is the first time I manage these systems so any suggestion
will be wellcome.

TIA

dex

On the seventh day, DexMilano wrote...

> Hallo to everyone,
> I've a strange problem with dl380 and 36 GB HD SCS3 coming from a 4100 disc
> array.
> Infact after 2 disc testing, I've a message of imminent failure and
> aftersome minutes the HD crashes.
>
> Just because it happenede with 2 discs and on a dl580, Ithink there is
> something wrong I do while configuring the disc array.
> Unfortunately it is the first time I manage these systems so any suggestion
> will be wellcome.

Hello, lex,

unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to afford your server so it's kind of
unfamiliar to me. What I would do if I were you, however, is to check the
hard disks each for itself on a normal host adapter (LSI, Adaptec). Go to
the website of your harddisk manufactorer and get the diagnostic tools.

If all hard disks turn out to be OK you can decide what to test next from
there. HTH

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop
diggin'.

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
> On the seventh day, DexMilano wrote...
>
>> Hallo to everyone,
>> I've a strange problem with dl380 and 36 GB HD SCS3 coming from a
>> 4100 disc array.
>> Infact after 2 disc testing, I've a message of imminent failure and
>> aftersome minutes the HD crashes.
>>
>> Just because it happenede with 2 discs and on a dl580, Ithink there
>> is something wrong I do while configuring the disc array.
>> Unfortunately it is the first time I manage these systems so any
>> suggestion will be wellcome.
>
> Hello, lex,
>
> unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to afford your server so it's
> kind of unfamiliar to me. What I would do if I were you, however, is
> to check the hard disks each for itself on a normal host adapter
> (LSI, Adaptec). Go to the website of your harddisk manufactorer and
> get the diagnostic tools.
>
> If all hard disks turn out to be OK you can decide what to test next
> from there. HTH

Thx Christian,
the manufacturer is Compaq.
Using the Array e Disk diagnostic tools in the SmartStart CD, seems
everything is Ok.
:-(((((

On the seventh day, DexMilano wrote...

> Thx Christian,
> the manufacturer is Compaq.
> Using the Array e Disk diagnostic tools in the SmartStart CD, seems
> everything is Ok.

This is not what I meant: Comapq doesn't produce hard disk drives. Take out
each hard disk separately and test it with Hitachi's Drive Fitness Tool
(DFT) on an Adaptec or LSI controller. You can find the DFT on an
easy-to-use Ultimate Boot CD.

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
> On the seventh day, DexMilano wrote...
>
>> Thx Christian,
>> the manufacturer is Compaq.
>> Using the Array e Disk diagnostic tools in the SmartStart CD, seems
>> everything is Ok.
>
> This is not what I meant: Comapq doesn't produce hard disk drives.
> Take out each hard disk separately and test it with Hitachi's Drive
> Fitness Tool (DFT) on an Adaptec or LSI controller. You can find the
> DFT on an easy-to-use Ultimate Boot CD.
>
> HTH

Unfortunately no other SCSIequipment available in my company.

dex

DexMilano wrote:

> Hallo to everyone,
> I've a strange problem with dl380 and 36 GB HD SCS3 coming from a 4100 disc
> array.
> Infact after 2 disc testing, I've a message of imminent failure and
> aftersome minutes the HD crashes.

We have similar hardware but do not experience your problems. However I have to
say disks are not frequently swapped between 4100 and dl380...

Some points to think about:
The 4100 is mistiriously removed from hardware listings and supported hardware
in several os-es and such...

The dl380 comes in several generations now: G1, G2, G3, and G4. As far as I
know, the G2 and the G3 share the same (5i) array. The G4 has a newer build-in
array (6i).

Not all disks suitable for the external raids are suitable for the internal
raids, there are some remarks on using newer disks in older arrays and older
disks in newer arrays.

In the end, if you have HP support, use it. My experience (be it with pa-risc
hardware ;-) is that the drives will be swapped for fresh ones if available.

> Just because it happenede with 2 discs and on a dl580, Ithink there is
> something wrong I do while configuring the disc array.
> Unfortunately it is the first time I manage these systems so any suggestion
> will be wellcome.

Check the usability of the disk in the array.
If you have hardware support and/or some warranty left, use it.

CBee

"CBee" <I.Dont@want.your.spam> wrote in message
> DexMilano wrote:
>
> > Hallo to everyone,
> > I've a strange problem with dl380 and 36 GB HD SCS3 coming from a 4100
disc
> > array.

I have just finished installing three DL380G3 systems and each had a note
attached warning that only ultra320 disks would function properly. Check HP
web site to verify specs of your drives.