Microsoft Fingerprint Reader Opinions please

Does anyone presently use one of these. Can you have more than one finger
print for a given account ex: joint bank account.

thanks for opinions and advice

rq

Hello,

I have owned one for about 4-5 months now and i must say that its an excellent piece of hardware,
coupled with very good software. Technically you can only have one person login to one account, but
you can overcome that by assigning different fingers to different users of the "joint account".
E.g.: You can use your index finger to login and the other person can register his/her middle finger
to login.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:OeQ3S1JrFHA.2996@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Does anyone presently use one of these. Can you have more than one finger print for a given
> account ex: joint bank account.
>
> thanks for opinions and advice
>
> rq

Thanks for the reply, I notice that MS does not recommend them for bank
accounts etc. I think they would be ideal for this purpose,, what am I
missing.

Is Microsoft just being over cautious?

rq

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have owned one for about 4-5 months now and i must say that its an
> excellent piece of hardware, coupled with very good software. Technically
> you can only have one person login to one account, but you can overcome
> that by assigning different fingers to different users of the "joint
> account". E.g.: You can use your index finger to login and the other
> person can register his/her middle finger to login.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Does anyone presently use one of these. Can you have more than one
>> finger print for a given account ex: joint bank account.
>>
>> thanks for opinions and advice
>>
>> rq

Banking information is highly sensitive data and the specific software that ships with the
fingerprint reader is not designed to be 'hack proof'. You may use it for banking purposes, but at
your own risk.

--

"RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:OzMuHCKrFHA.2768@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the reply, I notice that MS does not recommend them for bank accounts etc. I think
> they would be ideal for this purpose,, what am I missing.
>
> Is Microsoft just being over cautious?
>

> rq
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:Ot40W8JrFHA.3080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have owned one for about 4-5 months now and i must say that its an excellent piece of hardware,
>> coupled with very good software. Technically you can only have one person login to one account,
>> but you can overcome that by assigning different fingers to different users of the "joint
>> account". E.g.: You can use your index finger to login and the other person can register his/her
>> middle finger to login.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>

>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:OeQ3S1JrFHA.2996@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Does anyone presently use one of these. Can you have more than one finger print for a given
>>> account ex: joint bank account.
>>>
>>> thanks for opinions and advice
>>>
>>> rq

Hi RQ
I have been using " onclick FingerPrint Security Systems" since July 2003 it
allows you to replace your mouse with the onclick mouse that has the built in
print security build in also allows for file protection and encryption Also
more than one user and more than one finger print per user ,had no problems
in the 3years.

"RQ" wrote:

> Does anyone presently use one of these. Can you have more than one finger
> print for a given account ex: joint bank account.
>
> thanks for opinions and advice
>
> rq

Relatively easy to spoof/hack. All it needs is a fingerprint, which you
have conveniently left all around the computer location. Marginally more
secure than penciling in your user name and password on the bezel of the
monitor.

RQ wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, I notice that MS does not recommend them for bank
> accounts etc. I think they would be ideal for this purpose,, what am I
> missing.
>
> Is Microsoft just being over cautious?
>

> rq
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have owned one for about 4-5 months now and i must say that its an
>>excellent piece of hardware, coupled with very good software. Technically
>>you can only have one person login to one account, but you can overcome
>>that by assigning different fingers to different users of the "joint
>>account". E.g.: You can use your index finger to login and the other
>>person can register his/her middle finger to login.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Anando
>>Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>http://www.mvps.org
>>

>>Folder customizations
>>http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>>Protect your PC!
>>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>>"RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>>Does anyone presently use one of these. Can you have more than one
>>>finger print for a given account ex: joint bank account.
>>>
>>>thanks for opinions and advice
>>>
>>>rq

Also its possible to spoof them using a gummi bear depending on the
sensitivity of the scanner and the grubbiness of the finger..

Strange but true, i proved it in a demo using a standard FP scanner, and a
recognition program

> Relatively easy to spoof/hack. All it needs is a fingerprint, which you
> have conveniently left all around the computer location. Marginally more
> secure than penciling in your user name and password on the bezel of the
> monitor.
>
> RQ wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply, I notice that MS does not recommend them for bank
>> accounts etc. I think they would be ideal for this purpose,, what am I
>> missing.
>>
>> Is Microsoft just being over cautious?
>>

>> rq
>>

>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have owned one for about 4-5 months now and i must say that its an
>>>excellent piece of hardware, coupled with very good software. Technically
>>>you can only have one person login to one account, but you can overcome
>>>that by assigning different fingers to different users of the "joint
>>>account". E.g.: You can use your index finger to login and the other
>>>person can register his/her middle finger to login.
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>Anando
>>>Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>>http://www.mvps.org
>>>

>>>Folder customizations
>>>http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>>Protect your PC!
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>>

>>>"RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Hi Niall,
I use the onclick print reconigition system and to break this
system it would take knowing which finger i had used on either hand before
you could try the gummy bear i sometimes have to try 10 or more times before
a match so the onclick system is very secure. i have never had any
unautherised sign ons.
Your article was very intersting but i guess nothing is really secure if
enough time and rescorces are used.

Jessie a flower

"Niall Merrigan" wrote:

> Also its possible to spoof them using a gummi bear depending on the
> sensitivity of the scanner and the grubbiness of the finger..
>
> Strange but true, i proved it in a demo using a standard FP scanner, and a
> recognition program
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Relatively easy to spoof/hack. All it needs is a fingerprint, which you
> > have conveniently left all around the computer location. Marginally more
> > secure than penciling in your user name and password on the bezel of the
> > monitor.
> >
> > RQ wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the reply, I notice that MS does not recommend them for bank
> >> accounts etc. I think they would be ideal for this purpose,, what am I
> >> missing.
> >>
> >> Is Microsoft just being over cautious?
> >>

> >> rq
> >>

> >> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message

The demo was a custom demo I wrote using a piece of FP recognition software
currently availible.

Since we were doing this for an FDA accredited organisation we needed to
show them how it could be bypassed. Now the recognition was set as very
"accepting" if you will. We were trying to balance functionality vs hyper
security. You know unless you place your finger exactly here it wont work
type thing vs oh a gummi bear that will work. Once we decided on the level,
it functions much to the similar specs of your application. Again its how
many password will make a system secure type of thing.

"Jessie the flower of Dunblane"
<JessietheflowerofDunblane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Niall,
> I use the onclick print reconigition system and to break this
> system it would take knowing which finger i had used on either hand before
> you could try the gummy bear i sometimes have to try 10 or more times
> before
> a match so the onclick system is very secure. i have never had any
> unautherised sign ons.
> Your article was very intersting but i guess nothing is really secure if
> enough time and rescorces are used.
>
> Jessie a flower
>

> "Niall Merrigan" wrote:
>
>> Also its possible to spoof them using a gummi bear depending on the
>> sensitivity of the scanner and the grubbiness of the finger..
>>
>> Strange but true, i proved it in a demo using a standard FP scanner, and
>> recognition program
>>
>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Relatively easy to spoof/hack. All it needs is a fingerprint, which you
>> > have conveniently left all around the computer location. Marginally
>> > more
>> > secure than penciling in your user name and password on the bezel of
>> > the
>> > monitor.

You DO realize that you left the fingerprint you "used" on the "scanner
surface".

Jessie the flower of Dunblane wrote:

> Hi Niall,
> I use the onclick print reconigition system and to break this
> system it would take knowing which finger i had used on either hand before
> you could try the gummy bear i sometimes have to try 10 or more times before
> a match so the onclick system is very secure. i have never had any
> unautherised sign ons.
> Your article was very intersting but i guess nothing is really secure if
> enough time and rescorces are used.
>
> Jessie a flower
>

> "Niall Merrigan" wrote:
>

>>Also its possible to spoof them using a gummi bear depending on the
>>sensitivity of the scanner and the grubbiness of the finger..
>>
>>Strange but true, i proved it in a demo using a standard FP scanner, and a
>>recognition program
>>
>>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Relatively easy to spoof/hack. All it needs is a fingerprint, which you
>>>have conveniently left all around the computer location. Marginally more
>>>secure than penciling in your user name and password on the bezel of the
>>>monitor.

Yes but after signon i use the mouse to naivigate the system and use a
diferent finger and hand to do this so the sign -on fingerprint has been
overlaid many times by the wrong print finger and hand. Still i supose
anything is possible but this would be a very larg task for some one to
undertake to match fingerprints that change monthly

The Flower

"Bob I" wrote:

> You DO realize that you left the fingerprint you "used" on the "scanner
> surface".
>

> Jessie the flower of Dunblane wrote:
>
> > Hi Niall,
> > I use the onclick print reconigition system and to break this
> > system it would take knowing which finger i had used on either hand before
> > you could try the gummy bear i sometimes have to try 10 or more times before
> > a match so the onclick system is very secure. i have never had any
> > unautherised sign ons.
> > Your article was very intersting but i guess nothing is really secure if
> > enough time and rescorces are used.
> >
> > Jessie a flower
> >

> > "Niall Merrigan" wrote:
> >

> >>Also its possible to spoof them using a gummi bear depending on the
> >>sensitivity of the scanner and the grubbiness of the finger..
> >>
> >>Strange but true, i proved it in a demo using a standard FP scanner, and a
> >>recognition program
> >>
> >>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I have had a Microsoft finger print reader for about six months now and have
had nothing but trouble with the Microsoft software. Sometimes the software
just dies on me and I can't access the finger print reader. Other times I
can acces the finger print reader but the password and login ID are missing
for the web site I'm on.

I do not recommend this device for a computer novice.