Dell 8400 in the U.K. - any good, and can you haggle about..

Hi,
Am thinking of buying a custom-configured Dell Dimension 8400 desktop
from their web site and was wondering if anyone had any recent
experience with these machines - any good? I want a machine that's
good for Photoshop work but can also play the latest games as well. I
can't quite afford their XPS range... Also, I spoke to a Dell
salesperson on the phone and he seemed to hint he could offer me a
better price than the one on their web site - has anyone any
experience of how much you can bargain them down on the phone?

Cheers,
Marco.

"Marco C" <m.cinnirella@rhul.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Am thinking of buying a custom-configured Dell Dimension 8400 desktop
> from their web site and was wondering if anyone had any recent
> experience with these machines - any good? I want a machine that's
> good for Photoshop work but can also play the latest games as well. I
> can't quite afford their XPS range... Also, I spoke to a Dell
> salesperson on the phone and he seemed to hint he could offer me a
> better price than the one on their web site - has anyone any
> experience of how much you can bargain them down on the phone?
>
> Cheers,
> Marco.

I've bought three in the past four months.

As a rule, the spec on them isn't fantastic but what you're really paying
for is the futureproofing element, specifically
PCIExpress, DDR2 memory, 775 pin processors and SATA connectors.

I'm not sure about haggling on the phone, I always buy mine
online.........there's a 5% discount + free double memory + free upgrade to
flat panel monitor offer on at the moment.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:53:26 GMT, "Brad Stokes"
<brad.stokes@nospam99ever.net> wrote:

>"Marco C" <m.cinnirella@rhul.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Am thinking of buying a custom-configured Dell Dimension 8400 desktop
>> from their web site and was wondering if anyone had any recent
>> experience with these machines - any good? I want a machine that's
>> good for Photoshop work but can also play the latest games as well. I
>> can't quite afford their XPS range... Also, I spoke to a Dell
>> salesperson on the phone and he seemed to hint he could offer me a
>> better price than the one on their web site - has anyone any
>> experience of how much you can bargain them down on the phone?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marco.
>
>I've bought three in the past four months.
>
>As a rule, the spec on them isn't fantastic but what you're really paying
>for is the futureproofing element, specifically
>PCIExpress, DDR2 memory, 775 pin processors and SATA connectors.
>
>I'm not sure about haggling on the phone, I always buy mine
>online.........there's a 5% discount + free double memory + free upgrade to
>flat panel monitor offer on at the moment.

For another couple of days, they offer 25% off a desktop over $1299
(Coupon Code: M60LDQM2TH?N37 ) or 30% off a desktop over $1799 (Coupon
Code: 3TB6R405280WT1 ). Just saved me $300 on two 8400s.

Coupons change frequently... check at www.dealcatcher.com. Don't know
if they work on systems delivered to the U.K.

Marco C wrote:
> Hi,
> Am thinking of buying a custom-configured Dell Dimension 8400 desktop
> from their web site and was wondering if anyone had any recent
> experience with these machines - any good? I want a machine that's
> good for Photoshop work but can also play the latest games as well. I
> can't quite afford their XPS range... Also, I spoke to a Dell
> salesperson on the phone and he seemed to hint he could offer me a
> better price than the one on their web site - has anyone any
> experience of how much you can bargain them down on the phone?

Spec the machine online together with all the goodies, save it as a basket,
then call the rep. If they can't beat it, all you've lost is the time for
the phone call.

The savings depend on how much you're spending. Buy a £250 machine, and
there isn't much profit margin to discuss. Buy 5 PowerEdge Servers, and
you'll save quite a bit. The exact amounts depend on how good you are at
negotiating.

Pete.