Upgrade vs New Installation

Hi.

I upgraded the XP Home Edition on a laptop I had just purchased to XP Pro,
but when I tried to activate it, I found out that the XP Pro CD I used had
exceeded its installation limits, the product key wouldn't work. So, I have
two questions:

1. When I go buy a new XP Pro CD to install on the same laptop, should I
buy an "Upgrade" version or "New Installation" version?

2. Do I actually have to redo the installation? Or can I just activate
what's on my laptop with the product key that I will obtain from my new CD?

Thanks,

Henry

It's one in the same. It will ask you if you want to upgrade or do a clean
install. All you have to do is activate it with the new key no need to
reinstall.

O.....

"Henry T" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I upgraded the XP Home Edition on a laptop I had just purchased to XP Pro,
> but when I tried to activate it, I found out that the XP Pro CD I used had
> exceeded its installation limits, the product key wouldn't work. So, I have
> two questions:
>
> 1. When I go buy a new XP Pro CD to install on the same laptop, should I
> buy an "Upgrade" version or "New Installation" version?
>
> 2. Do I actually have to redo the installation? Or can I just activate
> what's on my laptop with the product key that I will obtain from my new CD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry

Are you using the "older" XP Pro on a different PC? If not, then follow the
directions to 'activate" by phone. You are forever (or until MS kills XP)
entitled to install the same XP on the same PC.

As for replacing the XP Pro to the newer version, you would normally have to
do a repair installation on top of the installed version. This is to be
able to replace the CD Key on it and to generate a new Product Activation.

"Henry T" <HenryT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I upgraded the XP Home Edition on a laptop I had just purchased to XP Pro,
> but when I tried to activate it, I found out that the XP Pro CD I used had
> exceeded its installation limits, the product key wouldn't work. So, I
> have
> two questions:
>
> 1. When I go buy a new XP Pro CD to install on the same laptop, should I
> buy an "Upgrade" version or "New Installation" version?
>
> 2. Do I actually have to redo the installation? Or can I just activate
> what's on my laptop with the product key that I will obtain from my new
> CD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry

Thanks for the responses. I am using an XP Pro I had bought for a desktop,
so I guess that's why its product key not working on my laptop. Now, after
buying a new XP Pro Upgrade Version, it looks like I have 3 possible courses
of action:

1. Just type in the product key I'll obtain from buying a new XP Pro,
according to "O..."
-OR-
2. Do a "repair" installation to get rid of the CD Key on the installed
version, according to "Yves Leclerc", then type in the new product key (Now,
would a repair installation wipe out the existing applications on my laptop?)
-OR-
3. Restore my laptop to its original XP Home, then do an "upgrade"
installation so to make sure I still get to keep all the applications on my
laptop.3

Which course of action is best recommended?

Thanks,

Henry

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Are you using the "older" XP Pro on a different PC? If not, then follow the
> directions to 'activate" by phone. You are forever (or until MS kills XP)
> entitled to install the same XP on the same PC.
>
> As for replacing the XP Pro to the newer version, you would normally have to
> do a repair installation on top of the installed version. This is to be
> able to replace the CD Key on it and to generate a new Product Activation.
>

> "Henry T" <HenryT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > I upgraded the XP Home Edition on a laptop I had just purchased to XP Pro,
> > but when I tried to activate it, I found out that the XP Pro CD I used had
> > exceeded its installation limits, the product key wouldn't work. So, I
> > have
> > two questions:
> >
> > 1. When I go buy a new XP Pro CD to install on the same laptop, should I
> > buy an "Upgrade" version or "New Installation" version?
> >
> > 2. Do I actually have to redo the installation? Or can I just activate
> > what's on my laptop with the product key that I will obtain from my new
> > CD?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Henry

"Henry T" <HenryT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the responses. I am using an XP Pro I had bought for a desktop,
>so I guess that's why its product key not working on my laptop. Now, after
>buying a new XP Pro Upgrade Version, it looks like I have 3 possible courses
>of action:
>
>1. Just type in the product key I'll obtain from buying a new XP Pro,
>according to "O..."
>-OR-
>2. Do a "repair" installation to get rid of the CD Key on the installed
>version, according to "Yves Leclerc", then type in the new product key (Now,
>would a repair installation wipe out the existing applications on my laptop?)
>-OR-
>3. Restore my laptop to its original XP Home, then do an "upgrade"
>installation so to make sure I still get to keep all the applications on my
>laptop.3
>
>Which course of action is best recommended?

Changing the Product Key to a valid one is the quickest and least
painful way of doing it, so try that one first. It should work,
provided you used a Retail Upgrade version of XP Pro to do the actual
install.

If not then a Repair Install should definitely do the trick.

Windows XP Product Key finder:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/keyfinder.exe
Includes an option to change the existing product key to a valid one
without doing a reinstall.

Windows XP repair install

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada