Language - changing the OS Language

I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and want
to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC

I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is higher
than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue

Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the CD
??

"Villaalatz" <Villaalatz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and
want
> to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
>
> I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is
higher
> than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
>
> Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the
CD
> ??

Save any files you might want from the Spanish version, then reboot the
computer on the English CD, begin a new installation and when it asks where
to install just delete the partition that has the Spanish version, then
continue with the installation of the English version.

You can not install any different language version over top the installed
version. You must re-format nd install the language that you want.

"Villaalatz" <Villaalatz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and
>want
> to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
>
> I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is
> higher
> than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
>
> Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the
> CD
> ??

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Villaalatz wrote:

> I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and want
> to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
>
> I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is higher
> than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
>
> Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the CD
> ??

Boot from the XP English installation CD and do a clean install if you
want only the english version or install it to it's own different
partition if you want both versions on the laptop in a dual boot
configuration.

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I tried booting from CD, but it seems to just start up in the spanish
version anyhow...

I now have tracked down that the CD is SP1 and the Laptop is SP2.

But it seems that I will just have to accept to reformat and start again

thanks

"Rock" wrote:

> Villaalatz wrote:
>
> > I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and want
> > to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
> >
> > I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is higher
> > than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
> >
> > Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the CD
> > ??
>
> Boot from the XP English installation CD and do a clean install if you
> want only the english version or install it to it's own different
> partition if you want both versions on the laptop in a dual boot
> configuration.
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Villaalatz wrote:

> I tried booting from CD, but it seems to just start up in the spanish
> version anyhow...
>
> I now have tracked down that the CD is SP1 and the Laptop is SP2.
>
> But it seems that I will just have to accept to reformat and start again
>
> thanks
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>Villaalatz wrote:
>>

>>>I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and want
>>>to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
>>>
>>>I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is higher
>>>than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
>>>
>>>Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the CD
>>>??
>>
>>Boot from the XP English installation CD and do a clean install if you
>>want only the english version or install it to it's own different
>>partition if you want both versions on the laptop in a dual boot
>>configuration.
>>
>>http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You have to enter the BIOS setup and change the boot device order so the
CD is the first device. Check the laptop's documentation on how to
enter the BIOS. Then after that change is made, reboot with the English
CD in the driver.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User