Language - changing the OS Language

I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and want
to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC

I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is higher
than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue

Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the CD
??
6 answers Last reply
More about language changing language

    "Villaalatz" <Villaalatz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and
    want
    > to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
    >
    > I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is
    higher
    > than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
    >
    > Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the
    CD
    > ??

    Save any files you might want from the Spanish version, then reboot the
    computer on the English CD, begin a new installation and when it asks where
    to install just delete the partition that has the Spanish version, then
    continue with the installation of the English version.

    You can not install any different language version over top the installed
    version. You must re-format nd install the language that you want.

    Villaalatz wrote:

    > I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and want
    > to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
    >
    > I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is higher
    > than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
    >
    > Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the CD
    > ??

    Boot from the XP English installation CD and do a clean install if you
    want only the english version or install it to it's own different
    partition if you want both versions on the laptop in a dual boot
    configuration.

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I tried booting from CD, but it seems to just start up in the spanish
    version anyhow...

    I now have tracked down that the CD is SP1 and the Laptop is SP2.

    But it seems that I will just have to accept to reformat and start again

    thanks

    Villaalatz wrote:

    > I tried booting from CD, but it seems to just start up in the spanish
    > version anyhow...
    >
    > I now have tracked down that the CD is SP1 and the Laptop is SP2.
    >
    > But it seems that I will just have to accept to reformat and start again
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>Villaalatz wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have recently bought a Laptop in Spain (pre-installed in Spanish) and want
    >>>to re-install XP from the English CD I already had for an older PC
    >>>
    >>>I get an error saying the the version of the pre-installed version is higher
    >>>than the one in the CD and it will not let me continue
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas how to bypass this error and go ahead with the install from the CD
    >>>??
    >>
    >>Boot from the XP English installation CD and do a clean install if you
    >>want only the english version or install it to it's own different
    >>partition if you want both versions on the laptop in a dual boot
    >>configuration.
    >>
    >>http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You have to enter the BIOS setup and change the boot device order so the
    CD is the first device. Check the laptop's documentation on how to
    enter the BIOS. Then after that change is made, reboot with the English
    CD in the driver.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User