Disk Partition

Hi there,

I'm kind of new to HP-UX. We have a system with this 4 partition.

- \u01
- \u02
- \u03
- \u04

Now we have requirement to merge u02, u03 and u04 into one single
partition. Can this be done?

Thank you.

use "partition magic" to perform this...
its a nice programm, i like it and you can do lots of things.
Max O.

Nice idea, but I'm afraid that Partition Magic only runs on Intel CPU systems,
and HP-UX generally does not.

My suggestion would be to temporarily add another drive to the system, create
one large partition on the drive, copy contents of all 4 partitions onto the one
large partition, then swap the replacement drive with the other one. The
assumption is that all 4 partitions are now on a single HP-UX drive... Ben Myers

Keith Tai wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm kind of new to HP-UX. We have a system with this 4 partition.
>
> - \u01
> - \u02
> - \u03
> - \u04
>
> Now we have requirement to merge u02, u03 and u04 into one single
> partition. Can this be done?

I guess those \u01 trough \u04 are the mountpoints. I expect your system uses
logical volumes since that is kind of a default. You need to know more:

what are the logical volumes?
what are the volume groups?
what are the disk devices?
Only in the (rare) case where the disk is realy partitioned, you can opt for
repartitioning. In all other cases, you will need logical volumes to get you going.

If there is no data on the disks, the route will be as follows:
- umount the filesystems
- delete the logical volumes
- if the locical volumes are NOT from the same volume group (the disks are not
in the same volume group):
- remove the disks from their volume groups
- combine the disks in a single volume group
- create a single logical volume spanning the required amounth of data
- create a filesystem on the logical volume
- mount the new filesystem.
- remove obsolete mountpoints.

You can use `sam` for rougly all of the above.

If the above steps are somehow misterious for you or do contain strange terms,
then best look for local (hands on) support.

CBee