Paul

Splendid

I have DirectX 9.0c installed with hardware acceleration
enabled. Radeon 9800XT 256 card, XPsp2, AMD64-3000+ 1G
RAM. HALO installed fine, I registered, and tried to
play and had a fatal error "A problem occurred
initializing Direct3D; Hardware acceleration may be
disabled. Run DX diagnostics." Click ok and Halo quits
and I am back to the desktop. I tried reinstalling and
then uninstalling and reinstalling the game but no
difference. I can't find any other forum where this
issue is addressed. DirectX 8 is also on the machine and
is included with the game.
Any ideas? Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,

Start / Run / type: dxdiag
Which DirectX version do you have installed: 8 or 9 ?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Paul" <prtruax@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:106801c50a1c$f2c86ab0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| I have DirectX 9.0c installed with hardware acceleration
| enabled. Radeon 9800XT 256 card, XPsp2, AMD64-3000+ 1G
| RAM. HALO installed fine, I registered, and tried to
| play and had a fatal error "A problem occurred
| initializing Direct3D; Hardware acceleration may be
| disabled. Run DX diagnostics." Click ok and Halo quits
| and I am back to the desktop. I tried reinstalling and
| then uninstalling and reinstalling the game but no
| difference. I can't find any other forum where this
| issue is addressed. DirectX 8 is also on the machine and
| is included with the game.
| Any ideas? Thanks, Paul

I had run DXDiag and saw that I had hardware acceleration
enabled and no problems detected. I disabled it to see
the difference and then got a message that the hardware
accelerated D3D 9+ is not supported with my current
display driver. The new driver documentation from ATI
doesn't say anything about DirectX 9. I am not sure if
it is worth getting new display drivers now or reverting
to DirecxtX 8. Any ADvice on that?
Paul

Shell / User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>"Paul" <prtruax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>| I have DirectX 9.0c installed with hardware
acceleration
>| enabled. Radeon 9800XT 256 card, XPsp2, AMD64-3000+ 1G
>| RAM. HALO installed fine, I registered, and tried to
>| play and had a fatal error "A problem occurred
>| initializing Direct3D; Hardware acceleration may be
>| disabled. Run DX diagnostics." Click ok and Halo quits
>| and I am back to the desktop. I tried reinstalling and
>| then uninstalling and reinstalling the game but no
>| difference. I can't find any other forum where this
>| issue is addressed. DirectX 8 is also on the machine
and
>| is included with the game.
>| Any ideas? Thanks, Paul
>

>.

Hi Paul,

Definitely give the latest drivers available from ATI a try, and
make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed
from www.microsoft.com/directx - I hope that helps! :)