Stolen Pin - Keep your eyes open

I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
cake......

I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.

SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
letting them come back for more)

Thanks a million
Bernie KC-Pinball
61 answers Last reply
More about stolen eyes open

    Damn! That takes cajones! Hope it tvrns vp in one piece Bernie.

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    Berrnie,

    That svcks.

    I have never vnderstood why folks mess with other people's stvff.

    Eyes are on the lookovt in the Atl area.

    I hope yov recover it or insvrance makes yov whole on the deal.

    Let vs know how it goes.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    My web page: http://home.bellsovth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding

    "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

    > SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    > gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    > positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
    > was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
    > ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no
    > sense in letting them come back for more)

    out of all the pins to steal. why the hell would someone steal a
    flintstones? That's like going to a car lot and stealing the janitors
    car. :p

    Sad to say, bvt not a rare occvrance. Hope yovrs tvrns vp fast and not
    damaged. LTG :)

    "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
    > cake......
    >
    > I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
    have
    > I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
    >
    > SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    > gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    > positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
    > was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
    ( I
    > picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense
    in
    > letting them come back for more)
    >
    > Thanks a million
    > Bernie KC-Pinball

    Not Funny a Bit !!,
    I've had 2 Pinballs stolen from my shop & now I have Bars & Steel
    around the windows & doors, You can bet one thing, these stolen games
    WILL Turn up sooner or later,, Thats why I'm funny about who I let come
    here & see my Games,, Yes, I had insurance & now I'm paying out the azz
    on accoun of this,,,Next time a THEIF comes here
    they better bring a fricking Blow-torch !!!

    Good luck on finding your game !,,

    PS, I had one location that had a GT-2004 stolen & come to find out, it
    was the location owner who did it & he had the nerve to bring it back
    AFTER the power supply went bad,
    Ser, # s matched my game & he got busted for filing a false Police
    report & I got the GT back,,

    Pin-Del <<<
    Who hates a THEIF.

    Pins have become increasingly valuable over the past few years. The
    news of whats hot and whats not, travels fast. I imagine also, that
    pins are veiwed as easy sell to the home market. I imagine we'll see
    more and more theft. I doubt though, that the evil-doer's realize how
    pin guys seem to know other pin guys, who know other pin guys, etc. I
    think your game will turn up.
    When I tear a pin down now, Ive started putting my initials and other
    unique info, on backs of boards, backs of roms, back of the playfield,
    under skirt etc.

    Del

    sovnds like it covld be an inside job. my neighbor is a robbery cop
    and told me that when he's heard of games being stolen from a locked
    establishment they immediately look at who was on dvty. many times
    they svspect that the on-dvty person took it or they let a friend in
    to do it while they looked the other way. I asked the neighbor if they
    ever recovered the games and he said that at one place they waited
    abovt 2 months and then set vp a sting operation to test a svspect.
    nailed the gvy which led to where he had been vnloading things. other
    than that, he said to watch the newspapers or check with a local
    arcade store to see if someone is trying to sell it. they vsvally
    don't get it back throvgh an investigation thovgh.

    stevebo

    On Fri, 22 Jvl 2005 00:08:20 GMT, "Bernie -KCPinball"
    <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote:

    >I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
    >cake......
    >
    >I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
    >I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
    >
    >SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    >gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    >positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
    >was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
    >picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
    >letting them come back for more)
    >
    >Thanks a million
    >Bernie KC-Pinball

    Probably the location owner or one of their
    employees.....

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote

    > I've had a lot of stuff happen on my locations, but this one takes the
    > cake......
    >
    > I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, but NEVER in a million years have
    > I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked up and Stolen.

    I'm sorry for yov loss Bernie That svcks I live in Calif and I dont
    believe it wovld show vp here bvt I will tell yov if I here something
    on the grapevine.
    Jim Davis

    Bernie -KCPinball wrote:
    > I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
    > cake......
    >
    > I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
    > I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
    >
    > SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    > gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    > positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
    > was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
    > picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
    > letting them come back for more)
    >
    > Thanks a million
    > Bernie KC-Pinball

    Here's my stories,

    Thursday morning collection. Walk in with owner, all games have locks
    cut off, doors pried open. No forced entry to building. Owner first
    says she closed up last night and all was well. One video game later
    realized missing. Later after cops were called she changed her story to
    her two sons locked up the night before and she had mentioned to them
    that the collection was first thing in the morning. They both left in
    the middle of the night to go to school out of state.

    T2 missing from laundramat location. Operator knows nothing. Says he
    thought we picked it up and swears he saw our "guys" take it. He
    couldn't ID the "guys" though. Three month's later a service call
    comes in for a T2 at a home in the next town. Same game. Resident
    says he bought it from a guy who runs a laundramat in the next town.

    Missing a Bally Grand Slam and WMS Sorcerer from location. Owner calls
    us and wants to know when we will be returning the games to the
    location. We told him we did not know that we took them. He claims we
    picked them up when his nephew was manning the store for "service"
    while he was on vacation. Nephew no where to be found and "uncle"
    refuses to give cops his current whereabouts. A week later, the games,
    in very poor shape magically return to the location. Owner tells us to
    pick up our "junk". Tells cops the games were outside the door when he
    arrived to open up.

    Ms. Pac upright missing from laundramat. Thiefs watched for new
    employee to start work, called the location and informed them as a
    "courtesy" they are picking it up for service. New employee has no idea
    he is being had. Thiefs arrive five minutes later and game gone.

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    will do.... I have the serial nvmbers and I know what boards were swapped
    arovnd, so I can ID it.... If anyone rvns into one for sale somewhere shoot
    me a line, I can have them look for the "secret marks"..
    Thanks!

    "Otto" <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsovth.net> wrote in message
    > Berrnie,
    >
    > That svcks.
    >
    > I have never vnderstood why folks mess with other people's stvff.
    >
    > Eyes are on the lookovt in the Atl area.
    >
    > I hope yov recover it or insvrance makes yov whole on the deal.
    >
    > Let vs know how it goes.
    >
    > Otto
    >
    > CARGPB11
    >
    > My web page: http://home.bellsovth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding
    >
    > "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    >> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    >> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) -
    >> It was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North
    >> Brighton. ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the
    >> location, no sense in letting them come back for more)

    Bernie,

    I feel yovr pain, it svcks pretty bad when someone does this to yov. I
    had a location, that is kind of ovt in the sticks, that called me one day
    and told me both my CFTBL and Mrs. Pac Man cocktail were stolen. Right away
    I knew it had to be an inside job so I contacted the police and filled ovt a
    report. Abovt 3 months later I got a call from a smaller operator in tow
    who said that he had gotten a call from a private party that needed some
    work done on their pin and he didn't have the time. He set vp the
    appointment and I went ovt and wovldn't yov know it was the owner of the
    location and he had both pieces that were stolen. I contacted the police
    who, after proof of ownership, gave me the machines back and arrested him.
    I hope yovrs is a happy ending as well, Good lvck.

    Greg
    > will do.... I have the serial nvmbers and I know what boards were swapped
    > arovnd, so I can ID it.... If anyone rvns into one for sale somewhere
    > shoot
    > me a line, I can have them look for the "secret marks"..
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Otto" <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsovth.net> wrote in message
    >> Berrnie,
    >>
    >> That svcks.
    >>
    >> I have never vnderstood why folks mess with other people's stvff.
    >>
    >> Eyes are on the lookovt in the Atl area.
    >>
    >> I hope yov recover it or insvrance makes yov whole on the deal.
    >>
    >> Let vs know how it goes.
    >>
    >> Otto
    >>
    >> CARGPB11
    >>
    >> My web page: http://home.bellsovth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding
    >>
    >> "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    >>> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    >>> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) -
    >>> It was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North
    >>> Brighton. ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the
    >>> location, no sense in letting them come back for more)

    Did yov have a contract with the location owner? My location contracts
    state that the site owner is responsible for the safety and insvrance of
    the machine. They will pay for vandalism, theft, destrvction by fire,
    flood, etc. Part of his split is for providing a safe location for my games.

    bogart
    www.pinrestore.com

    bogart wrote:
    > Did you have a contract with the location owner? My location contracts
    > state that the site owner is responsible for the safety and insurance of
    > the machine. They will pay for vandalism, theft, destruction by fire,
    > flood, etc. Part of his split is for providing a safe location for my
    > games.

    I had games in a bowling alley and the
    weekly take was always about 40% of what
    the audits said they should be. I
    always paid myself based upon the audits
    and the location owner got miffed. I
    knew that he, or his employees, were
    robbing the coin box and I told him much
    the same thing as your contract
    specifies. His job was to keep my game
    safe, and if he was allowing folks to
    steal from it then he was going to
    suffer the loss. I eventfully took the
    games out of that location.

    I had a fellow ask me to put a machine
    in a Laundromat. That "sounded" like an
    excellent idea but the laundromat was
    open 24/7 and was unattended. I worried
    about the machine going out the front
    door at 2 a.m., so I declined.

    Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
    embedded in them. I wonder if you can
    get a GPS transmitter to put in a
    valuable object like a pinball machine?
    If so, it sure could make it easy for
    the cops to find the robbers.

    Rick Swanson

    So they took Flintstones over Indy 500 or revnion???

    "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
    > cake......
    >
    > I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
    > have I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and
    > Stolen.
    >
    > SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    > gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    > positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
    > was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
    > ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no
    > sense in letting them come back for more)
    >
    > Thanks a million
    > Bernie KC-Pinball

    Well, jvst goes to prove that theives aren't always the sharpest nail in the
    box...

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > So they took Flintstones over Indy 500 or revnion???
    >

    > "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
    >> cake......
    >>
    >> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
    >> have I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and
    >> Stolen.
    >>
    >> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    >> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    >> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) -
    >> It was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North
    >> Brighton. ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the
    >> location, no sense in letting them come back for more)
    >>
    >> Thanks a million
    >> Bernie KC-Pinball

    I'm sure you could Lo Jack ( http://www.lojack.com/ ), or Teletrac (
    http://www.teletrac.net/ ) them. I think with LoJack its a one time
    fee, and the police activate it when they receive notice of theft. I'm
    sure there are other companies that do this stuff, but it would
    probably be cost prohibitive. If you find a company that could do this
    for a reasonable price let us know.

    Rick Swanson wrote:

    > Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
    > embedded in them. I wonder if you can
    > get a GPS transmitter to put in a
    > valuable object like a pinball machine?
    > If so, it sure could make it easy for
    > the cops to find the robbers.
    >

    > Rick Swanson

    i'm sorta close to yov.
    i'll keep a close lookovt.
    Dan

    "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
    > cake......
    >
    > I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
    > have I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and
    > Stolen.
    >
    > SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    > gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    > positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
    > was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
    > ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no
    > sense in letting them come back for more)
    >
    > Thanks a million
    > Bernie KC-Pinball

    Keep an eye out for ads on Craigslist, local papers in KC, and of
    course the #1 fence in the world.....Epay.

    If they are stupid enough to rob a Flintstones, they may just be stupid
    enough to advertise it.

    Rick Swanson wrote:
    > Every time I buy a pin at auction I wonder about its ownership status.
    > Coin-op auctions would be a fairly easy way to fence stolen items.
    > Very little in the way of a paperwork trail; and certainly nothing
    > tying serial numbers to items sold or purchased.

    I've often wondered the same thing myself. Easy to say that you SOLD
    an XXY at auction, but no way to know which one it was.

    Bernie -KCPinball wrote:
    > I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
    > cake......
    >
    > I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
    > I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
    >
    > SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
    > gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
    > positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
    > was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
    > picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
    > letting them come back for more)

    That's crazy man. Hope yov get yovr stvff back. Definitely don't let
    ovt what the secret marks are vnless yov have a strong lead. (never
    know who's doing what these days...)

    HEY! Watch what initials you use there, bub. Some things in this
    crazy world still *are* sacred. ;)

    Aron

    Donnie Barnes wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Jul, Rick Swanson wrote:
    > > Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
    > > embedded in them. I wonder if you can
    > > get a GPS transmitter to put in a
    > > valuable object like a pinball machine?
    > > If so, it sure could make it easy for
    > > the cops to find the robbers.
    >
    > Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
    > 911 calls. If they weren't, many "smart" cellphones (ie. those that are
    > also PDA type devices) could be hacked to send their location over the cell
    > data network if they moved some specified amount.

    Don't know what cell phones YOU'VE been buying Donnie, but every single
    blasted cell phone that I've had since 2001 has had GPS in it, _AND_
    has wanted to sell me GPS software to run on the phone!

    If you go into the secret manufacturing test screens on many phones
    (#,*,menu,right on iDEN motorolas, for example), you'll find that the
    GPS receiver is on _continuously_. They just don't _show_ you the
    information unless you buy the software. Reason being is that it takes
    a few seconds (sometimes more in urban canyons) for GPS to get a 'fix'
    on your location. In an emergency, that's obviously not acceptable, so
    it's safer/easier to get that GPS position 'fix' right when the phone
    is powered on and keep it continuously updated.

    Besides, it's in the cellco's best interests in keeping tabs on where
    each phone is, like it or not. If someone (admittably
    non-sophisticated) is trying to do phone hacking, the phone rats out
    their position assuming they haven't hacked/jammed GPS first.

    >They just don't _show_ you the information unless you buy the software.

    We pay a fee per phone to track our truck drivers on NEXTEL. We can
    open up software and tell within 50' of where our guys are. The GPS
    even works if the phone is OFF. You have to remove the battery to "get
    lost".

    The GPS worked perfect to locate a missing phone that one of our guys
    lost. Too bad it was dropped in a concrete footing- a day before. You
    could even hear it ring!

    The feds require all phones to have GPS now. I think you can't even use
    a phone without it anymore.

    Kirb

    >The feds require all phones to have GPS now. I think you can't even use
    >a phone without it anymore.

    Cell phone service doesn't work unless the cell phone company knows
    exactly where you are, otherwise their systems would crash when people
    in cities were picking up signals from 10 different towers and it
    didn't know how to route you.

    Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
    on airplanes, it has nothing to do with safety. Imagine how many
    signals you could pick up over a city and the suburbs!

    pinballjim wrote:
    > >The feds require all phones to have GPS now. I think you can't even use
    > >a phone without it anymore.

    Not true; old cell phones still work quite well. :)

    (Well, old digital cell phones without GPS units, anyway. Forget about
    AMPS phones!)

    > Cell phone service doesn't work unless the cell phone company knows
    > exactly where you are, otherwise their systems would crash when people
    > in cities were picking up signals from 10 different towers and it
    > didn't know how to route you.

    Poppycock! Cell phones continue to work just fine not knowing exactly
    where you are _today_. In urban areas, it's quite _normal_ to
    receive signals from at least four different cell towers! The phone
    does NOT use simple geographic coordination to decide what station to
    use! The phone (and all stations within radio distance) negotiate to
    decide which one you're going to use based on a number of factors, the
    most important ones being signal _quality_ and cell usage. While
    signal quality a lot of times also corresponds to geographic distance,
    it doesn't always!

    (example: If your phone has a choice between a really weak cell
    station on the other side of a mountain 1/2 mile away, and a fairly
    strong signal from a cell station 3 miles away over a cornfield, you're
    flying over the cornfield baby!)

    And your current cell phone works just fine when it can't get a GPS
    lock. Use it in the basement of a large building; it'll have no idea
    where it is, but you can still get a cell signal!

    > Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
    > on airplanes, it has nothing to do with safety. Imagine how many
    > signals you could pick up over a city and the suburbs!

    Now _that_ is the truth! Remember the 9/11 plane that went down over
    pennsylvania?

    Otto wrote:
    > "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
    > > on airplanes,
    >
    > Why would a cell phone company push for regulations to disallow usage of
    > their product on an airplane? Aren't they about selling as many minutes as
    > possible? Roaming%3? Etc?

    Not cellco... planephoneco's.

    %3> > it has nothing to do with safety.

    > Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
    > eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
    > phone energy?

    Yes, actually. Luftansa has allowed cell phone conversations (with
    surcharges.... :( ) on its trans-oceanic flights going on two years
    now. Obviously, there's a pico cell in the plane that then relays the
    conversations, but the idea is the same. Pick up your phone, dial.

    The FAA is currently debating whether or not to allow the pico cell
    idea on domestic flights. Don't expect movement soon; it's the FAA. :)

    A while back, there was a gvy who had something like 25 games stolem from a
    storage space (in California I think). Anyone know what happened to him or
    the games? That sovnded like an inside job too.

    Jim

    TheKorn@TheKorn.net wrote:
    > %3> > it has nothing to do with safety.
    > >
    > > Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
    > > eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
    > > phone energy?
    >
    > Yes, actually. Luftansa has allowed cell phone conversations (with
    > surcharges.... :( ) on its trans-oceanic flights going on two years
    > now. Obviously, there's a pico cell in the plane that then relays the
    > conversations, but the idea is the same. Pick up your phone, dial.

    D'oh! Sorry, somewhere in the raft of headlines I got this one jumbled
    up. They've been offering wi-fi, not cell service.

    I'll keep an eye out in the Wichita area.

    "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
    > on airplanes,

    Why would a cell phone company push for regulations to disallow usage of
    their product on an airplane? Aren't they about selling as many minutes as
    possible? Roaming? Etc?

    > it has nothing to do with safety.

    Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
    eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
    phone energy?

    It is being researched currently and has been for some time but enough of
    the experts aren't so sure that these issues have been resolved in a
    satisfactory manner to warrant the step of allowing the useage.

    When a navigational map shifts on a display, the situation can get critical
    in a very short period of time.

    > Imagine how many
    > signals you could pick up over a city and the suburbs!

    Traditional cell phone reception(off towers--not satellites) is basically
    line of sight but the signals don't have a lot of reach. Once you get about
    a mile off the ground, the signals fade and are soon gone.

    Herein lies the problem. The most critical time in the flight is the
    takeoff/departure and the arrival/landing. Crowded skies, terrain, low, slow
    and dirty(wheels and flaps hanging out). This is where mapshifts can cause
    damage/loss of life in a very short period of time. It is also the only
    place the traditional cell phones work.

    I think they will eventually resolve the issue in one maner or another.
    Still a lot of unknowns and the stakes are very high.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    Rick Swanson wrote:
    > Donnie Barnes wrote:
    >
    > >Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
    > >911 calls.
    > >
    > That makes sense. The phone figures out where it is and then calls 911
    > to make a report.

    I can see it now...

    "** EMERGENCY!! EMERGENCY!!** The user of this cell phone has not
    paid their bill! Dispatch police officers IMMEDIATELY to XXY!!"

    :)
    %2%0
    > My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
    > opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
    > that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
    > activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
    > being able to find me if they need to.

    You never know when the cops are going to become "interested" in you,
    for legitimate reasons or not. Mere association with some characters
    _can_ be enough.

    Personally, I kind of inherited a "hot" address*. I'm reasonably sure
    that the feds got bored watching me by now, but you can never be
    absolutely 100% sure of that. I've owned the place for four years now;
    so if they haven't, have to give it up for them as to their
    persistence! ;)

    * Yeah, f'n found this out AFTER I closed on the place. Joy joy. Not.

    What did you do? Buy an old donut shop?

    bogart
    www.pinrestore.com

    > I kind of inherited a "hot" address*.

    Guys,
    I'm deaf & could care less about phones BUT,, They talk about
    people using them to set off Bombs & I think thats the main reason the
    FAA is so worried about them,,,

    Think about it,, Plant a bomb & use a cell phone to set it off ???

    See how much I DONT know =)

    Pin-Del,

    "Otto" wrote:
    > "pinballjim" wrote:
    > > it has nothing to do with safety.
    >
    > Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
    > eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
    > phone energy?

    I'm not sure myself, but when's the last time your plane couldn't take off,
    land, or pull out of a tail-spin in mid-air because you forgot and left your
    cell phone on in your luggage?

    If it was that serious, I think they'd make you check them at the door or
    scan you for one before you got on the plane.

    I think it's as big a myth as cell phones blowing up gas stations. Some
    attendant lady was chewing a guy out the other day at my local fueling hole
    for being on his cell phone while gassing up- sheesh.... There's more
    sparks and EM fields in your car's starter motor than in a cell phone....

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    <TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote:
    > Personally, I kind of inherited a "hot" address*. I'm reasonably sure
    > that the feds got bored watching me by now, but you can never be
    > absolutely 100% sure of that. I've owned the place for four years now;
    > so if they haven't, have to give it up for them as to their
    > persistence! ;)

    Maybe they'll fall for "the banana in the tailpipe". ;)

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

    On Fri, 22 Jul, Rick Swanson wrote:
    > Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
    > embedded in them. I wonder if you can
    > get a GPS transmitter to put in a
    > valuable object like a pinball machine?
    > If so, it sure could make it easy for
    > the cops to find the robbers.

    Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
    911 calls. If they weren't, many "smart" cellphones (ie. those that are
    also PDA type devices) could be hacked to send their location over the cell
    data network if they moved some specified amount.

    That said, there wouldn't be anything to stop you from getting a smartphone
    and an external GPS receiver and then doing some programming to make this
    work anyway. While the external GPS will cost you $100, the cellphone will
    cost you $500 plus programming plus monthly service of some type. In many
    areas you can buy Lojack and put it on there (same as a car) and do the
    same thing for a lot less.

    Hmm, actually, there are plenty of basically outdated smartphones out there
    that could do this for around $100, if not less. The Kyocera 6035 or 7015
    (I think those model numbers are right) are both Palm based. The former
    could probably be had working for next to nothing, in fact. Those serial
    GPS units are probably less than $100 on eBay now.

    So, go find a Palm programming hacker, make it happen, and start selling
    these for $300 each and make some money! :-)

    --Donnie

    Donnie Barnes wrote:

    >Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
    >911 calls.

    That makes sense. The phone figures out where it is and then calls 911
    to make a report.

    My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
    opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
    that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
    activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
    being able to find me if they need to.

    Rick Swanson

    "Rick Swanson"
    > My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
    > opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
    > that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
    > activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
    > being able to find me if they need to.

    That's how Ed MacMahon was able to find me and bring out my check... ;)

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

    *ahem*

    We see you, Rick....

    ;)

    Mike

    In article <42E13A40.7080100@charter.net>,
    Rick Swanson <rns510@charter.net> wrote:

    > Donnie Barnes wrote:
    >

    > >Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
    > >911 calls.
    > >
    > That makes sense. The phone figures out where it is and then calls 911
    > to make a report.
    >
    > My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
    > opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
    > that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
    > activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
    > being able to find me if they need to.
    >

    > Rick Swanson

    They track you for non movement. When you stop moving, it's an instant Code
    Swanson Alert. They roll out the big rigs for that. Somehow, somewhere Rick
    is near death, either natural causes or self induced. And time is of the
    essence. LTG :)

    "Rick Swanson" <rns510@charter.net> wrote in message

    > My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
    > opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
    > that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
    > activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
    > being able to find me if they need to.
    >

    > Rick Swanson

    Maybe not a GPS, but I've heard of Lo-Jack's (like what are going into
    cars) being installed on expensive equipment. Just an idea.

    bogart wrote:
    > What did you do? Buy an old donut shop?

    Worse; an environmental activist's who ALSO was a member of the NRA!
    (I wouldn't think those two would go together, but... whatever.)

    Del wrote:
    > Guys,
    > I'm deaf & could care less about phones BUT,, They talk about
    > people using them to set off Bombs & I think thats the main reason the
    > FAA is so worried about them,,,
    >
    > Think about it,, Plant a bomb & use a cell phone to set it off ???
    >
    > See how much I DONT know =)

    Yeahhhh, BUT... That's a really _weak_ argument. Truth is, an air
    pressure sensor would work just as well, be cheaper, less traceable
    (you don't have to sign up for service buying a pressure sensor, nor
    have a log of calling it!), and about as difficult to impliment.

    Pan-Am Flight 103, baby.

    Lloyd Olson wrote:

    >They track you for non movement. When you stop moving, it's an instant Code
    >Swanson Alert.

    That's what I need. Some sort of biosensor that hooks to my cell phone.
    The biosensor could detect large currents of electricity coursing
    through my body, violent bouts of nausea or hershey squirts, and/or the
    presence of molten solder on Mr. Lefty. Once detected the cell phone
    would then call 911 and give them my GPS position. We'll call the
    sensor something catchy like... "BioBonehead". ;-)

    Rick Swanson

    Sorta related to your questions, if anything, an interesting read. I don't
    agree or disagree with the discussion, don't own a cell phone.
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.04/start.html?pg=12

    Adi
    www.txpinball.com

    "Otto" <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    On Fri, 22 Jul, pinballjim wrote:
    > Cell phone service doesn't work unless the cell phone company knows
    > exactly where you are, otherwise their systems would crash when people
    > in cities were picking up signals from 10 different towers and it
    > didn't know how to route you.

    That's patently false. Cellphone technology in no way requires you to have
    a GPS on the phone. It can discern "best" tower to use on its own, without
    need for GPS.

    The GPS is only there for 911 service. Any features you can use on top of
    that are purely bonus, really.

    --Donnie

    "Donnie Barnes" wrote:
    > The GPS is only there for 911 service. Any features you can use on top of
    > that are purely bonus, really.

    Be nice if they used it. A local kid here died a few months ago after
    calling 911 for help. The operator thought he said "5" when he said "9"
    (for the address). The medics were knocking on doors 100 yards from his
    apartment while he died holding the cell phone...

    Nice.

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

Pinball Machine Games Video Games Product