Stolen Pin - Keep your eyes open

Last response: in Video Games
July 22, 2005 4:08:20 AM

I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
cake......

I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.

SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
letting them come back for more)

Thanks a million
Bernie KC-Pinball

More about : stolen pin eyes open

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

Damn! That takes cajones! Hope it tvrns vp in one piece Bernie.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Berrnie,

That svcks.

I have never vnderstood why folks mess with other people's stvff.

Eyes are on the lookovt in the Atl area.

I hope yov recover it or insvrance makes yov whole on the deal.

Let vs know how it goes.

Otto

CARGPB11

My web page: http://home.bellsovth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
> ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no
> sense in letting them come back for more)
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

out of all the pins to steal. why the hell would someone steal a
flintstones? That's like going to a car lot and stealing the janitors
car. :p
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

Sad to say, bvt not a rare occvrance. Hope yovrs tvrns vp fast and not
damaged. LTG :)

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
have
> I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
>
> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
( I
> picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense
in
> letting them come back for more)
>
> Thanks a million
> Bernie KC-Pinball

July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

Not Funny a Bit !!,
I've had 2 Pinballs stolen from my shop & now I have Bars & Steel
around the windows & doors, You can bet one thing, these stolen games
WILL Turn up sooner or later,, Thats why I'm funny about who I let come
here & see my Games,, Yes, I had insurance & now I'm paying out the azz
on accoun of this,,,Next time a THEIF comes here
they better bring a fricking Blow-torch !!!

Good luck on finding your game !,,

PS, I had one location that had a GT-2004 stolen & come to find out, it
was the location owner who did it & he had the nerve to bring it back
AFTER the power supply went bad,
Ser, # s matched my game & he got busted for filing a false Police
report & I got the GT back,,

Pin-Del <<<
Who hates a THEIF.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

Pins have become increasingly valuable over the past few years. The
news of whats hot and whats not, travels fast. I imagine also, that
pins are veiwed as easy sell to the home market. I imagine we'll see
more and more theft. I doubt though, that the evil-doer's realize how
pin guys seem to know other pin guys, who know other pin guys, etc. I
think your game will turn up.
When I tear a pin down now, Ive started putting my initials and other
unique info, on backs of boards, backs of roms, back of the playfield,
under skirt etc.

Del
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

sovnds like it covld be an inside job. my neighbor is a robbery cop
and told me that when he's heard of games being stolen from a locked
establishment they immediately look at who was on dvty. many times
they svspect that the on-dvty person took it or they let a friend in
to do it while they looked the other way. I asked the neighbor if they
ever recovered the games and he said that at one place they waited
abovt 2 months and then set vp a sting operation to test a svspect.
nailed the gvy which led to where he had been vnloading things. other
than that, he said to watch the newspapers or check with a local
arcade store to see if someone is trying to sell it. they vsvally
don't get it back throvgh an investigation thovgh.

stevebo

On Fri, 22 Jvl 2005 00:08:20 GMT, "Bernie -KCPinball"
<pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
>cake......
>
>I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
>I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
>
>SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
>gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
>positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
>was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
>picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
>letting them come back for more)
>
>Thanks a million
>Bernie KC-Pinball

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

Probably the location owner or one of their
employees.....

--
Fred
TX

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote

> I've had a lot of stuff happen on my locations, but this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, but NEVER in a million years have
> I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked up and Stolen.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

I'm sorry for yov loss Bernie That svcks I live in Calif and I dont
believe it wovld show vp here bvt I will tell yov if I here something
on the grapevine.
Jim Davis

Bernie -KCPinball wrote:
> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
> I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
>
> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
> picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
> letting them come back for more)
>
> Thanks a million
> Bernie KC-Pinball
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:08:21 AM

Here's my stories,

Thursday morning collection. Walk in with owner, all games have locks
cut off, doors pried open. No forced entry to building. Owner first
says she closed up last night and all was well. One video game later
realized missing. Later after cops were called she changed her story to
her two sons locked up the night before and she had mentioned to them
that the collection was first thing in the morning. They both left in
the middle of the night to go to school out of state.

T2 missing from laundramat location. Operator knows nothing. Says he
thought we picked it up and swears he saw our "guys" take it. He
couldn't ID the "guys" though. Three month's later a service call
comes in for a T2 at a home in the next town. Same game. Resident
says he bought it from a guy who runs a laundramat in the next town.

Missing a Bally Grand Slam and WMS Sorcerer from location. Owner calls
us and wants to know when we will be returning the games to the
location. We told him we did not know that we took them. He claims we
picked them up when his nephew was manning the store for "service"
while he was on vacation. Nephew no where to be found and "uncle"
refuses to give cops his current whereabouts. A week later, the games,
in very poor shape magically return to the location. Owner tells us to
pick up our "junk". Tells cops the games were outside the door when he
arrived to open up.

Ms. Pac upright missing from laundramat. Thiefs watched for new
employee to start work, called the location and informed them as a
"courtesy" they are picking it up for service. New employee has no idea
he is being had. Thiefs arrive five minutes later and game gone.

Mario
Pinthetic
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:26:59 AM

will do.... I have the serial nvmbers and I know what boards were swapped
arovnd, so I can ID it.... If anyone rvns into one for sale somewhere shoot
me a line, I can have them look for the "secret marks"..
Thanks!

"Otto" <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsovth.net> wrote in message
> Berrnie,
>
> That svcks.
>
> I have never vnderstood why folks mess with other people's stvff.
>
> Eyes are on the lookovt in the Atl area.
>
> I hope yov recover it or insvrance makes yov whole on the deal.
>
> Let vs know how it goes.
>
> Otto
>
> CARGPB11
>
> My web page: http://home.bellsovth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding
>
> "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
>> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
>> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) -
>> It was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North
>> Brighton. ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the
>> location, no sense in letting them come back for more)

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:44:12 AM

Bernie,

I feel yovr pain, it svcks pretty bad when someone does this to yov. I
had a location, that is kind of ovt in the sticks, that called me one day
and told me both my CFTBL and Mrs. Pac Man cocktail were stolen. Right away
I knew it had to be an inside job so I contacted the police and filled ovt a
report. Abovt 3 months later I got a call from a smaller operator in tow
who said that he had gotten a call from a private party that needed some
work done on their pin and he didn't have the time. He set vp the
appointment and I went ovt and wovldn't yov know it was the owner of the
location and he had both pieces that were stolen. I contacted the police
who, after proof of ownership, gave me the machines back and arrested him.
I hope yovrs is a happy ending as well, Good lvck.

Greg
> will do.... I have the serial nvmbers and I know what boards were swapped
> arovnd, so I can ID it.... If anyone rvns into one for sale somewhere
> shoot
> me a line, I can have them look for the "secret marks"..
> Thanks!
>
> "Otto" <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsovth.net> wrote in message
>> Berrnie,
>>
>> That svcks.
>>
>> I have never vnderstood why folks mess with other people's stvff.
>>
>> Eyes are on the lookovt in the Atl area.
>>
>> I hope yov recover it or insvrance makes yov whole on the deal.
>>
>> Let vs know how it goes.
>>
>> Otto
>>
>> CARGPB11
>>
>> My web page: http://home.bellsovth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding
>>
>> "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
>>> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
>>> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) -
>>> It was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North
>>> Brighton. ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the
>>> location, no sense in letting them come back for more)

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:33:56 AM

Did yov have a contract with the location owner? My location contracts
state that the site owner is responsible for the safety and insvrance of
the machine. They will pay for vandalism, theft, destrvction by fire,
flood, etc. Part of his split is for providing a safe location for my games.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

Bernie -KCPinball wrote:
> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
> I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
>
> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
> picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
> letting them come back for more)
>
> Thanks a million
> Bernie KC-Pinball

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:33:57 AM

bogart wrote:
> Did you have a contract with the location owner? My location contracts
> state that the site owner is responsible for the safety and insurance of
> the machine. They will pay for vandalism, theft, destruction by fire,
> flood, etc. Part of his split is for providing a safe location for my
> games.

I had games in a bowling alley and the
weekly take was always about 40% of what
the audits said they should be. I
always paid myself based upon the audits
and the location owner got miffed. I
knew that he, or his employees, were
robbing the coin box and I told him much
the same thing as your contract
specifies. His job was to keep my game
safe, and if he was allowing folks to
steal from it then he was going to
suffer the loss. I eventfully took the
games out of that location.

I had a fellow ask me to put a machine
in a Laundromat. That "sounded" like an
excellent idea but the laundromat was
open 24/7 and was unattended. I worried
about the machine going out the front
door at 2 a.m., so I declined.

Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
embedded in them. I wonder if you can
get a GPS transmitter to put in a
valuable object like a pinball machine?
If so, it sure could make it easy for
the cops to find the robbers.

Rick Swanson
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:46:40 AM

So they took Flintstones over Indy 500 or revnion???

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
> have I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and
> Stolen.
>
> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
> ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no
> sense in letting them come back for more)
>
> Thanks a million
> Bernie KC-Pinball

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:46:41 AM

Well, jvst goes to prove that theives aren't always the sharpest nail in the
box...

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> So they took Flintstones over Indy 500 or revnion???
>

> "Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
>> cake......
>>
>> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
>> have I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and
>> Stolen.
>>
>> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
>> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
>> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) -
>> It was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North
>> Brighton. ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the
>> location, no sense in letting them come back for more)
>>
>> Thanks a million
>> Bernie KC-Pinball

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:06:33 AM

I'm sure you could Lo Jack ( http://www.lojack.com/ ), or Teletrac (
http://www.teletrac.net/ ) them. I think with LoJack its a one time
fee, and the police activate it when they receive notice of theft. I'm
sure there are other companies that do this stuff, but it would
probably be cost prohibitive. If you find a company that could do this
for a reasonable price let us know.

Rick Swanson wrote:

> Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
> embedded in them. I wonder if you can
> get a GPS transmitter to put in a
> valuable object like a pinball machine?
> If so, it sure could make it easy for
> the cops to find the robbers.
>

> Rick Swanson
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:20:33 AM

i'm sorta close to yov.
i'll keep a close lookovt.
Dan

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
> have I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and
> Stolen.
>
> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
> ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no
> sense in letting them come back for more)
>
> Thanks a million
> Bernie KC-Pinball

July 22, 2005 11:43:49 AM

Keep an eye out for ads on Craigslist, local papers in KC, and of
course the #1 fence in the world.....Epay.

If they are stupid enough to rob a Flintstones, they may just be stupid
enough to advertise it.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:08:20 PM

Rick Swanson wrote:
> Every time I buy a pin at auction I wonder about its ownership status.
> Coin-op auctions would be a fairly easy way to fence stolen items.
> Very little in the way of a paperwork trail; and certainly nothing
> tying serial numbers to items sold or purchased.

I've often wondered the same thing myself. Easy to say that you SOLD
an XXY at auction, but no way to know which one it was.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:09:38 PM

Bernie -KCPinball wrote:
> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years have
> I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and Stolen.
>
> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton. ( I
> picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no sense in
> letting them come back for more)

That's crazy man. Hope yov get yovr stvff back. Definitely don't let
ovt what the secret marks are vnless yov have a strong lead. (never
know who's doing what these days...)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:11:57 PM

HEY! Watch what initials you use there, bub. Some things in this
crazy world still *are* sacred. ;)

Aron
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:20:02 PM

Donnie Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul, Rick Swanson wrote:
> > Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
> > embedded in them. I wonder if you can
> > get a GPS transmitter to put in a
> > valuable object like a pinball machine?
> > If so, it sure could make it easy for
> > the cops to find the robbers.
>
> Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
> 911 calls. If they weren't, many "smart" cellphones (ie. those that are
> also PDA type devices) could be hacked to send their location over the cell
> data network if they moved some specified amount.

Don't know what cell phones YOU'VE been buying Donnie, but every single
blasted cell phone that I've had since 2001 has had GPS in it, _AND_
has wanted to sell me GPS software to run on the phone!

If you go into the secret manufacturing test screens on many phones
(#,*,menu,right on iDEN motorolas, for example), you'll find that the
GPS receiver is on _continuously_. They just don't _show_ you the
information unless you buy the software. Reason being is that it takes
a few seconds (sometimes more in urban canyons) for GPS to get a 'fix'
on your location. In an emergency, that's obviously not acceptable, so
it's safer/easier to get that GPS position 'fix' right when the phone
is powered on and keep it continuously updated.

Besides, it's in the cellco's best interests in keeping tabs on where
each phone is, like it or not. If someone (admittably
non-sophisticated) is trying to do phone hacking, the phone rats out
their position assuming they haven't hacked/jammed GPS first.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:00:10 PM

>They just don't _show_ you the information unless you buy the software.

We pay a fee per phone to track our truck drivers on NEXTEL. We can
open up software and tell within 50' of where our guys are. The GPS
even works if the phone is OFF. You have to remove the battery to "get
lost".

The GPS worked perfect to locate a missing phone that one of our guys
lost. Too bad it was dropped in a concrete footing- a day before. You
could even hear it ring!

The feds require all phones to have GPS now. I think you can't even use
a phone without it anymore.

Kirb
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:03:54 PM

>The feds require all phones to have GPS now. I think you can't even use
>a phone without it anymore.

Cell phone service doesn't work unless the cell phone company knows
exactly where you are, otherwise their systems would crash when people
in cities were picking up signals from 10 different towers and it
didn't know how to route you.

Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
on airplanes, it has nothing to do with safety. Imagine how many
signals you could pick up over a city and the suburbs!
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:06:49 PM

Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:

>Here's my stories,
>
>Thursday morning collection. Walk in with owner, all games have locks
>cut off, doors pried open. No forced entry to building. Owner first
>says she closed up last night and all was well. One video game later
>realized missing. Later after cops were called she changed her story to
>her two sons locked up the night before and she had mentioned to them
>that the collection was first thing in the morning. They both left in
>the middle of the night to go to school out of state.
>
>T2 missing from laundramat location. Operator knows nothing. Says he
>thought we picked it up and swears he saw our "guys" take it. He
>couldn't ID the "guys" though. Three month's later a service call
>comes in for a T2 at a home in the next town. Same game. Resident
>says he bought it from a guy who runs a laundramat in the next town.
>
>Missing a Bally Grand Slam and WMS Sorcerer from location. Owner calls
>us and wants to know when we will be returning the games to the
>location. We told him we did not know that we took them. He claims we
>picked them up when his nephew was manning the store for "service"
>while he was on vacation. Nephew no where to be found and "uncle"
>refuses to give cops his current whereabouts. A week later, the games,
>in very poor shape magically return to the location. Owner tells us to
>pick up our "junk". Tells cops the games were outside the door when he
>arrived to open up.
>
>Ms. Pac upright missing from laundramat. Thiefs watched for new
>employee to start work, called the location and informed them as a
>"courtesy" they are picking it up for service. New employee has no idea
>he is being had. Thiefs arrive five minutes later and game gone.
>
>Mario
>Pinthetic

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:35:24 PM

pinballjim wrote:
> >The feds require all phones to have GPS now. I think you can't even use
> >a phone without it anymore.

Not true; old cell phones still work quite well. :)

(Well, old digital cell phones without GPS units, anyway. Forget about
AMPS phones!)

> Cell phone service doesn't work unless the cell phone company knows
> exactly where you are, otherwise their systems would crash when people
> in cities were picking up signals from 10 different towers and it
> didn't know how to route you.

Poppycock! Cell phones continue to work just fine not knowing exactly
where you are _today_. In urban areas, it's quite _normal_ to
receive signals from at least four different cell towers! The phone
does NOT use simple geographic coordination to decide what station to
use! The phone (and all stations within radio distance) negotiate to
decide which one you're going to use based on a number of factors, the
most important ones being signal _quality_ and cell usage. While
signal quality a lot of times also corresponds to geographic distance,
it doesn't always!

(example: If your phone has a choice between a really weak cell
station on the other side of a mountain 1/2 mile away, and a fairly
strong signal from a cell station 3 miles away over a cornfield, you're
flying over the cornfield baby!)

And your current cell phone works just fine when it can't get a GPS
lock. Use it in the basement of a large building; it'll have no idea
where it is, but you can still get a cell signal!

> Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
> on airplanes, it has nothing to do with safety. Imagine how many
> signals you could pick up over a city and the suburbs!

Now _that_ is the truth! Remember the 9/11 plane that went down over
pennsylvania?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:40:20 PM

Otto wrote:
> "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
> > on airplanes,
>
> Why would a cell phone company push for regulations to disallow usage of
> their product on an airplane? Aren't they about selling as many minutes as
> possible? Roaming%3? Etc?

Not cellco... planephoneco's.

%3> > it has nothing to do with safety.

> Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
> eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
> phone energy?

Yes, actually. Luftansa has allowed cell phone conversations (with
surcharges.... :(  ) on its trans-oceanic flights going on two years
now. Obviously, there's a pico cell in the plane that then relays the
conversations, but the idea is the same. Pick up your phone, dial.

The FAA is currently debating whether or not to allow the pico cell
idea on domestic flights. Don't expect movement soon; it's the FAA. :)
July 22, 2005 1:53:51 PM

A while back, there was a gvy who had something like 25 games stolem from a
storage space (in California I think). Anyone know what happened to him or
the games? That sovnded like an inside job too.

Jim

"Bernie -KCPinball" <pinball@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've had a lot of stvff happen on my locations, bvt this one takes the
> cake......
>
> I've had boards stolen, machines damaged, bvt NEVER in a million years
> have I had an entire pinball machine taken off location. Picked vp and
> Stolen.
>
> SO, if yov are in and/or near the Kansas City area and someone has jvst
> gotten a new FLINTSTONES machine or yov all hear of one for sale, I can
> positively identify it, (heck it was one of the only ones here in KC) - It
> was taken from North Kansas City, MO - at a location on North Brighton.
> ( I picked vp the indy 500 and the revnion today from the location, no
> sense in letting them come back for more)
>
> Thanks a million
> Bernie KC-Pinball

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:00:42 PM

TheKorn@TheKorn.net wrote:
> %3> > it has nothing to do with safety.
> >
> > Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
> > eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
> > phone energy?
>
> Yes, actually. Luftansa has allowed cell phone conversations (with
> surcharges.... :(  ) on its trans-oceanic flights going on two years
> now. Obviously, there's a pico cell in the plane that then relays the
> conversations, but the idea is the same. Pick up your phone, dial.

D'oh! Sorry, somewhere in the raft of headlines I got this one jumbled
up. They've been offering wi-fi, not cell service.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:12:39 PM

I'll keep an eye out in the Wichita area.
July 22, 2005 4:25:31 PM

"pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Lobbying by cell phone companies is the only reason you can't use them
> on airplanes,

Why would a cell phone company push for regulations to disallow usage of
their product on an airplane? Aren't they about selling as many minutes as
possible? Roaming? Etc?

> it has nothing to do with safety.

Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
phone energy?

It is being researched currently and has been for some time but enough of
the experts aren't so sure that these issues have been resolved in a
satisfactory manner to warrant the step of allowing the useage.

When a navigational map shifts on a display, the situation can get critical
in a very short period of time.

> Imagine how many
> signals you could pick up over a city and the suburbs!

Traditional cell phone reception(off towers--not satellites) is basically
line of sight but the signals don't have a lot of reach. Once you get about
a mile off the ground, the signals fade and are soon gone.

Herein lies the problem. The most critical time in the flight is the
takeoff/departure and the arrival/landing. Crowded skies, terrain, low, slow
and dirty(wheels and flaps hanging out). This is where mapshifts can cause
damage/loss of life in a very short period of time. It is also the only
place the traditional cell phones work.

I think they will eventually resolve the issue in one maner or another.
Still a lot of unknowns and the stakes are very high.

Otto

CARGPB11

July 22, 2005 4:29:13 PM

Rick Swanson wrote:
> Donnie Barnes wrote:
>
> >Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
> >911 calls.
> >
> That makes sense. The phone figures out where it is and then calls 911
> to make a report.

I can see it now...

"** EMERGENCY!! EMERGENCY!!** The user of this cell phone has not
paid their bill! Dispatch police officers IMMEDIATELY to XXY!!"

:)
%2%0
> My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
> opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
> that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
> activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
> being able to find me if they need to.

You never know when the cops are going to become "interested" in you,
for legitimate reasons or not. Mere association with some characters
_can_ be enough.

Personally, I kind of inherited a "hot" address*. I'm reasonably sure
that the feds got bored watching me by now, but you can never be
absolutely 100% sure of that. I've owned the place for four years now;
so if they haven't, have to give it up for them as to their
persistence! ;)

* Yeah, f'n found this out AFTER I closed on the place. Joy joy. Not.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:44:43 PM

What did you do? Buy an old donut shop?

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

> I kind of inherited a "hot" address*.
July 22, 2005 6:04:05 PM

Guys,
I'm deaf & could care less about phones BUT,, They talk about
people using them to set off Bombs & I think thats the main reason the
FAA is so worried about them,,,

Think about it,, Plant a bomb & use a cell phone to set it off ???

See how much I DONT know =)

Pin-Del,
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:06:09 PM

"Otto" wrote:
> "pinballjim" wrote:
> > it has nothing to do with safety.
>
> Really? Any facts to back that up? Are the avionics shielded enough to
> eliminate interference and mapshifts which have been attributed to cell
> phone energy?

I'm not sure myself, but when's the last time your plane couldn't take off,
land, or pull out of a tail-spin in mid-air because you forgot and left your
cell phone on in your luggage?

If it was that serious, I think they'd make you check them at the door or
scan you for one before you got on the plane.

I think it's as big a myth as cell phones blowing up gas stations. Some
attendant lady was chewing a guy out the other day at my local fueling hole
for being on his cell phone while gassing up- sheesh.... There's more
sparks and EM fields in your car's starter motor than in a cell phone....

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

July 22, 2005 6:13:46 PM

<TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote:
> Personally, I kind of inherited a "hot" address*. I'm reasonably sure
> that the feds got bored watching me by now, but you can never be
> absolutely 100% sure of that. I've owned the place for four years now;
> so if they haven't, have to give it up for them as to their
> persistence! ;)

Maybe they'll fall for "the banana in the tailpipe". ;)

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

July 22, 2005 6:42:26 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul, Rick Swanson wrote:
> Most cellphones have a GPS transmitter
> embedded in them. I wonder if you can
> get a GPS transmitter to put in a
> valuable object like a pinball machine?
> If so, it sure could make it easy for
> the cops to find the robbers.

Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
911 calls. If they weren't, many "smart" cellphones (ie. those that are
also PDA type devices) could be hacked to send their location over the cell
data network if they moved some specified amount.

That said, there wouldn't be anything to stop you from getting a smartphone
and an external GPS receiver and then doing some programming to make this
work anyway. While the external GPS will cost you $100, the cellphone will
cost you $500 plus programming plus monthly service of some type. In many
areas you can buy Lojack and put it on there (same as a car) and do the
same thing for a lot less.

Hmm, actually, there are plenty of basically outdated smartphones out there
that could do this for around $100, if not less. The Kyocera 6035 or 7015
(I think those model numbers are right) are both Palm based. The former
could probably be had working for next to nothing, in fact. Those serial
GPS units are probably less than $100 on eBay now.

So, go find a Palm programming hacker, make it happen, and start selling
these for $300 each and make some money! :-)

--Donnie

July 22, 2005 6:42:27 PM

Donnie Barnes wrote:

>Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
>911 calls.

That makes sense. The phone figures out where it is and then calls 911
to make a report.

My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
being able to find me if they need to.

Rick Swanson
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:42:28 PM

"Rick Swanson"
> My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
> opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
> that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
> activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
> being able to find me if they need to.

That's how Ed MacMahon was able to find me and bring out my check... ;)

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

July 22, 2005 6:42:28 PM

*ahem*

We see you, Rick....

;)

Mike

In article <42E13A40.7080100@charter.net>,
Rick Swanson <rns510@charter.net> wrote:

> Donnie Barnes wrote:
>

> >Cell phones have GPS *receivers* in them, but most are limited to use by
> >911 calls.
> >
> That makes sense. The phone figures out where it is and then calls 911
> to make a report.
>
> My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
> opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
> that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
> activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
> being able to find me if they need to.
>

> Rick Swanson
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:49:57 PM

They track you for non movement. When you stop moving, it's an instant Code
Swanson Alert. They roll out the big rigs for that. Somehow, somewhere Rick
is near death, either natural causes or self induced. And time is of the
essence. LTG :)

"Rick Swanson" <rns510@charter.net> wrote in message

> My phone has the option of reporting its location continuously (as
> opposed to only when 911 is called). I leave it on "continuous" mode so
> that Big Brother can find me at any time. As I don't participate in
> activities that the cops might be interested in, I don't mind their
> being able to find me if they need to.
>

> Rick Swanson

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:25:07 PM

Maybe not a GPS, but I've heard of Lo-Jack's (like what are going into
cars) being installed on expensive equipment. Just an idea.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:27:35 PM

bogart wrote:
> What did you do? Buy an old donut shop?

Worse; an environmental activist's who ALSO was a member of the NRA!
(I wouldn't think those two would go together, but... whatever.)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:30:44 PM

Del wrote:
> Guys,
> I'm deaf & could care less about phones BUT,, They talk about
> people using them to set off Bombs & I think thats the main reason the
> FAA is so worried about them,,,
>
> Think about it,, Plant a bomb & use a cell phone to set it off ???
>
> See how much I DONT know =)

Yeahhhh, BUT... That's a really _weak_ argument. Truth is, an air
pressure sensor would work just as well, be cheaper, less traceable
(you don't have to sign up for service buying a pressure sensor, nor
have a log of calling it!), and about as difficult to impliment.

Pan-Am Flight 103, baby.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:33:33 PM

Lloyd Olson wrote:

>They track you for non movement. When you stop moving, it's an instant Code
>Swanson Alert.

That's what I need. Some sort of biosensor that hooks to my cell phone.
The biosensor could detect large currents of electricity coursing
through my body, violent bouts of nausea or hershey squirts, and/or the
presence of molten solder on Mr. Lefty. Once detected the cell phone
would then call 911 and give them my GPS position. We'll call the
sensor something catchy like... "BioBonehead". ;-)

Rick Swanson
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:24:15 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul, pinballjim wrote:
> Cell phone service doesn't work unless the cell phone company knows
> exactly where you are, otherwise their systems would crash when people
> in cities were picking up signals from 10 different towers and it
> didn't know how to route you.

That's patently false. Cellphone technology in no way requires you to have
a GPS on the phone. It can discern "best" tower to use on its own, without
need for GPS.

The GPS is only there for 911 service. Any features you can use on top of
that are purely bonus, really.

--Donnie

July 22, 2005 10:24:16 PM

"Donnie Barnes" wrote:
> The GPS is only there for 911 service. Any features you can use on top of
> that are purely bonus, really.

Be nice if they used it. A local kid here died a few months ago after
calling 911 for help. The operator thought he said "5" when he said "9"
(for the address). The medics were knocking on doors 100 yards from his
apartment while he died holding the cell phone...

Nice.

Ray J.