Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Help

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 24, 2003 9:01:01 PM

OK, I want to get a new computer, mainly for gaming. I would like to only spend $800 if possible, and really want it for Doom 3, HL2 ect. I was thinking of waiting until Intel lowered p4 prices next month and getting 2.4 p4 with 800mhz bus and Radeon 9800. I already have a 21 in monitor - so I don't need a new one. What would you recommend? I would like to buy the complete system from 1 place, and I want at least the Radeon 9800. Would AMD be better? All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by twkatadin on 09/26/03 09:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : upgrade

September 26, 2003 6:19:51 PM

Anyone?
September 26, 2003 6:42:21 PM

For a budget like that, I'd say either an Intel NWC 2.4GHz like you said, or a Barton 2500+ if you don't mind OCing.

You might want to wait a few though not just for CPU prices but for video prices as well. The XMas season is bound to see some new graphics cards and hopefully that'll mean lower prices on existing ones too. :) 

HL2 probably won't be out before November and D3 probably won't be out until sometime next year, so you have time to wait for the new goodies to come out for the XMas shopping season. :) 

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
Related resources
September 26, 2003 6:51:33 PM

A good video card is much more important than a CPU for gaming. I'd get a cheaper Athlon and a more expensive video card.

<font color=blue>Give man fish and you feed him for a day. Teach man to fish and he spend his lifetime drinking beer in boat.
--Chinese Proverb</font color=blue>
September 26, 2003 8:24:42 PM

Does the faster 800mhz bus on the p4 give any help with games, or is it mainly marketing hype? While I know that for games most of what counts now is the Graphics Card, I figured if I was going to upgrade to get the most out the CPU I could for the money. I had seen some offers that were in my price range a month or 2 ago, but they seem to be more expensive now. I should also say I don't care about the harddrive size (40 gb is fine), or optical drive. I'm mainly trying to max the cpu and graphics. Where would you recommend buying an Athalon system from? The 2500+ does seem good. Thanks again
September 26, 2003 9:34:25 PM

I just built the following system and really like it.

P4 2.4 GHZ ($161), with fan, heatsink.
Asus Motherboard P4C800 ($200)
DDR 3200 Ram 512 $120
Antec Sonata case ($60 on sale now, staples with rebate, ends soon)
ATI 9700, $250

That is $791, but does not include hard drive, or sound card. If you need a hard drive, you can usually pick one up for $30 if you watch for rebates (fatwallet.com), and you could get a soundblaster live soundcard 5.1 for $44 from Amazon.com

I think you will be really happy with the system. The Sonata case is very quiet, and looks cool (black piano finish).
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2003 12:27:57 AM

He could save nearly $100 by using the Abit IS7.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 27, 2003 12:37:52 AM

You beat me to that one.
September 29, 2003 1:53:04 PM

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm looking forward to a new system.
!