No mouse/keyboard responce on login screen on laptop

Hello,
can someone give me any advice ? im not the smartest computer person but i manage. anyway i was cleaning up my computer, getting files off i didn't wont. i had to restart, i went to login like i normally to and bam, cant type or move the mouse on my laptop. i know they work cause i tried it in the recovery mode. can someone help me out? i really dont wanna loose everything i have on my computer, 500 GB of files and most are from things ive installed and are hard to get

im running win7 64 bit laptop
14 answers Last reply
More about mouse keyboard responce login screen laptop
  1. Hi, Do they work if starting Windows in safe mode?
  2. nah it only works in the boot menu. i got the mouse working. the keyboard is still unresponsive in windows but it did work when i restored my windows to the purchase date. but i have 500GB of files that i cant replace because i cant afford it. i tried a usb keyboard but the same thing happens, the drive says its working, and i re-installed the driver still nothing. im out of ideas.
  3. Check in Device Manager what devices are listed under Keyboards and what devices are listed with a yellow mark
  4. alexoiu said:
    Check in Device Manager what devices are listed under Keyboards and what devices are listed with a yellow mark

there is only one listed: standard PS/2 Keyboard and there id no yellow mark, it says its working but its not in the to date version of windows..
  5. Check in Windows/System32/Drivers if kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys files are there.
  6. alexoiu said:
    Check in Windows/System32/Drivers if kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys files are there.

both there
  7. Then try right clicking the PS/2 keyboard device in Device Manager choose Update Driver, Browse my computer and point to the Windows/System32/Drivers folder
  8. still doesn't work. -_-
  9. What's listed now under keyboard? Does a USB memory stick work if inserted? What about the USB keyboard?
    Try restarting.
  10. standard PS/2 Keyboard is all thats listed under keyboards. the usb stick works yes.
  11. No other ideas than saving your data and restoring the laptop.
  12. thats all i can think of myself. i do have another computer running win7 32bit. is there some way i can copy some system folders or registry stuff over from the working computer onto the computer thats not working, i dunno where to look but thats all i can think off.
  13. No. The laptop has a hidden partition that can be actvated at startup and it will restore the OS at its original state (assuming the partition hasn't been deleted). Just save your data on a DVD or transfer it on the PC and activate the recovery partition. Or use the recovery DVDs if you have them.
  14. i'll save as much as i can on my second 1TB hard drive and restore the system to the purchase data after a file finished downloading.

thank you for your assistance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Laptops Login Computers Mice Keyboards Windows 7