Sign in with
Your question

No mouse/keyboard responce on login screen on laptop

Last response: in Windows 7
November 10, 2012 4:47:33 PM

Hello,
can someone give me any advice ? im not the smartest computer person but i manage. anyway i was cleaning up my computer, getting files off i didn't wont. i had to restart, i went to login like i normally to and bam, cant type or move the mouse on my laptop. i know they work cause i tried it in the recovery mode. can someone help me out? i really dont wanna loose everything i have on my computer, 500 GB of files and most are from things ive installed and are hard to get

im running win7 64 bit laptop
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2012 5:39:43 PM

Hi, Do they work if starting Windows in safe mode?
November 11, 2012 4:54:29 PM

nah it only works in the boot menu. i got the mouse working. the keyboard is still unresponsive in windows but it did work when i restored my windows to the purchase date. but i have 500GB of files that i cant replace because i cant afford it. i tried a usb keyboard but the same thing happens, the drive says its working, and i re-installed the driver still nothing. im out of ideas.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 5:43:14 PM

Check in Device Manager what devices are listed under Keyboards and what devices are listed with a yellow mark
November 11, 2012 5:46:30 PM

alexoiu said:
Check in Device Manager what devices are listed under Keyboards and what devices are listed with a yellow mark

there is only one listed: standard PS/2 Keyboard and there id no yellow mark, it says its working but its not in the to date version of windows..
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 6:06:26 PM

Check in Windows/System32/Drivers if kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys files are there.
November 11, 2012 6:14:40 PM

alexoiu said:
Check in Windows/System32/Drivers if kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys files are there.

both there
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 6:26:06 PM

Then try right clicking the PS/2 keyboard device in Device Manager choose Update Driver, Browse my computer and point to the Windows/System32/Drivers folder
November 11, 2012 6:31:33 PM

still doesn't work. -_-
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 6:31:34 PM

What's listed now under keyboard? Does a USB memory stick work if inserted? What about the USB keyboard?
Try restarting.
November 11, 2012 6:34:39 PM

standard PS/2 Keyboard is all thats listed under keyboards. the usb stick works yes.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 6:37:48 PM

No other ideas than saving your data and restoring the laptop.
November 11, 2012 6:46:03 PM

thats all i can think of myself. i do have another computer running win7 32bit. is there some way i can copy some system folders or registry stuff over from the working computer onto the computer thats not working, i dunno where to look but thats all i can think off.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 6:56:01 PM

No. The laptop has a hidden partition that can be actvated at startup and it will restore the OS at its original state (assuming the partition hasn't been deleted). Just save your data on a DVD or transfer it on the PC and activate the recovery partition. Or use the recovery DVDs if you have them.
November 11, 2012 6:59:14 PM

i'll save as much as i can on my second 1TB hard drive and restore the system to the purchase data after a file finished downloading.

thank you for your assistance.
!