exchanging computer at store help needed

Hi all

If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?

Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I can't get
into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)

Doesn't seem right.
Pls help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about exchanging computer store needed

    In news:emsZusLrFHA.3812@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Ninip <gwen6039@home.com> had this to say:

    > Hi all
    >
    > If I do manage to exchange my faulty WINXP computer for a new one at
    > Staples, what about all my personal info on that faulty computer?
    >
    > Do I just hand over my old computer with everything still on it (I
    > can't get into it to delete my personal files and Pictures)
    >
    > Doesn't seem right.
    > Pls help me figure this out.
    > Thanks in advance

    Use this:

    Darik's Boot and Nuke:
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    > Use this:
    >
    > Darik's Boot and Nuke:
    > http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Galen

    If that's a disk cleaner make sure you get permission from the store first.
    They might just decide that wiping the disc is what caused the problem and
    use that as an excuse not to take it back.

    In news:HhIQe.181352$gK7.10050680@phobos.telenet-ops.be,
    CWatters <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> had this to say:

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Use this:
    >>
    >> Darik's Boot and Nuke:
    >> http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> Galen
    >
    > If that's a disk cleaner make sure you get permission from the store
    > first. They might just decide that wiping the disc is what caused the
    > problem and use that as an excuse not to take it back.

    Good point. Never know, the OP might actually have not thought of that. And
    my my my is it a disk cleaner. ;) It does a pretty fancy job at it too. I've
    given it a couple of test runs and then run various recovery tools to see
    what I might be able to retrieve and it's never been able to pull a single
    file though I was able to get some partial file names and then only when not
    doing a very strong delete/re-write. There's a lot of myths going on about
    how a format will be adequate and that nothing can be recovered after that
    and the like. Even if you've reinstalled the OS after a nice clean brand new
    format there's still quite a bit of good stuff that can be pulled off. DBAN,
    being free, good, and bootable, is the product of choice from me.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Computers Microsoft Windows XP