Can't share files on new network

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I just set up a wireless router at home with my computer connected through
an ethernet cable to the router and two other computers connected through
wireless USB network adapters. All of us can access the internet fine, but I
can't figure out how to "see" each other's computers and transfer files
between us. The setup disks don't seem to have any software that might do
this.
I have a Belkin pre-N router and two Belkin USB adapters and all the
computers are on Win XP SP2.
Can anyone please advise?
Thanks a lot.
4 answers Last reply
More about share files network
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    right click on the folder or drive you want to share and click on sharing.
    Read the dialog box completely then decide what you want to share.
    Loretta
    "Luis ORTEGA" <lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I just set up a wireless router at home with my computer connected through
    > an ethernet cable to the router and two other computers connected through
    > wireless USB network adapters. All of us can access the internet fine, but
    > can't figure out how to "see" each other's computers and transfer files
    > between us. The setup disks don't seem to have any software that might do
    > this.
    > I have a Belkin pre-N router and two Belkin USB adapters and all the
    > computers are on Win XP SP2.
    > Can anyone please advise?
    > Thanks a lot.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    make sure the workgroup name is the same. there must be a common profile on
    all pcs. that is..user 1 on comp 1 must be set up as user 1 on comp 1. As
    well you may want to make sure that NW link bios is installed along with the
    TCP/IP on all comps. i had the same prob and this fixed it nicely

    Gord

    "Luis ORTEGA" <lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I just set up a wireless router at home with my computer connected through
    >an ethernet cable to the router and two other computers connected through
    >wireless USB network adapters. All of us can access the internet fine, but
    >I can't figure out how to "see" each other's computers and transfer files
    >between us. The setup disks don't seem to have any software that might do
    >this.
    > I have a Belkin pre-N router and two Belkin USB adapters and all the
    > computers are on Win XP SP2.
    > Can anyone please advise?
    > Thanks a lot.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Luis ORTEGA" <lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I just set up a wireless router at home with my computer connected through
    >an ethernet cable to the router and two other computers connected through
    >wireless USB network adapters. All of us can access the internet fine, but
    >I can't figure out how to "see" each other's computers and transfer files
    >between us. The setup disks don't seem to have any software that might do
    >this.
    > I have a Belkin pre-N router and two Belkin USB adapters and all the
    > computers are on Win XP SP2.
    > Can anyone please advise?
    > Thanks a lot.

    first disable ALL Firewalls then try sharing also if you run Norton Internet
    Security you could disable it.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks to all. It was just the computers' firewalls that kept messing it up.
    If I turn them off, all is fine.
    With the Belkin Pre-N wireless router, with one computer hooked up via
    ethernet cable and two computers on usb wireless adapters, is it safe to
    turn off the computers' firewalls and rely on whatever may be in that
    router? Can I adjust what the router's firewall can do?
    Can I continue to use my computers' Zone Alarm firewalls if I just make some
    specific changes to options?
    I wasn't using any of Win xp's firewalls in any of the computers, just Zone
    Alarm.
    Thanks for any advice.

    "Luis ORTEGA" <lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I just set up a wireless router at home with my computer connected through
    >an ethernet cable to the router and two other computers connected through
    >wireless USB network adapters. All of us can access the internet fine, but
    >I can't figure out how to "see" each other's computers and transfer files
    >between us. The setup disks don't seem to have any software that might do
    >this.
    > I have a Belkin pre-N router and two Belkin USB adapters and all the
    > computers are on Win XP SP2.
    > Can anyone please advise?
    > Thanks a lot.

Computers Windows XP