SSD+HDD or 2xHDD RAID-0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superflex

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Just wanted to hear opinions on these options I am considering for mass storage on my new laptop:

(1) Boot/OS drive 80GB Intel X25-M SSD; secondary drive 500GB 7200RPM

(2) 2x500GB 500GB 7200RPM RAID-0

Usage will be gaming, multimedia, photo/video editing, general usage.

My considerations regarding this selection include:
- SSD longevity - are we confident that TRIM & SSD-controller wear-levelling are going to work as advertised to keep a MLC SSD running?
- SSD benefits - In my intended use-case scenario as a drive for Windows 7, and probably a few app/game installs, am I going to see appreciable benefits from the SSD in boot times/program load times in comparison to RAID-0 HDDs?
- RAID-0 - Any strong feelings against RAID-0? Statistically speaking hard drives are pretty reliable. I already have pretty good backup habits.

Finally, does anybody see any compelling reasons to wait another month or two before ordering? Personally I don't. Intel doesn't look like they'll be updating their 4-core i7 mobile lineup to Westmere any time soon. nVidia will just be releasing Fermi-based (GTX 4xx) parts at the end of this month, and I don't expect to see them in mobile versions very soon (esp. with the anticipated power usage).

FYI the Malibal Satori is the platform I'm looking at.

It is a bit of a tough choice, but if I were in your shoes, I'd probably shoot for the SSD+HDD option. I've always found RAID setups to be iffy, especially if one drive were to fail, you're kind of out of luck. The Intel X25-M is a good performing drive and I think that you'll see the performance that you are looking for; plus the 500GB of additional storage. On the other hand a RAID set up would be just as quick, if not quicker. But like you said, if your backup habits are good, it may be the more affordable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.