Memory Usage Issue

siq

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hey guys,

This week I've been troubled by a very weird issue related to memory usage.
I have 4GB (not a lot) of DDR3 ram which had always been enough until this week.
When I first boot up the machine and start using it (win 7 ultimate 64bit) the memory usage stays arround 40%. If I keep using it, the memory usage will slowly increase until it reaches 99%. If I boot up the machine and just leave it there for a couple of hours, the same happens.

Another related weird issue is that, when this happens, I try to restart (via windows), it logs off, shuts down the system, the coolers keep spinning, the motherboard lights are still on, but it doesn't boot up again. It remains like that. I have to restart via reset button or power button.

I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with this kind of issue or has any possible solutions.

I'd like to apologize for my poor english level and lack of details. If you need more info, ask me.

Thank you in advance,

Gabriel

Solution
May not be malware. At this point I would probably get my data backed up and do a reinstall Sommer thing is really messed up. Could be a program could be the os, finding the problem if you can will probably take longer than the nuke and pave.

siq

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

That is something I forgot to mention:
There doesn't seem to be a process with huge memory consumption. Google Chrome sure takes a lot of memory. Right now I have 5 tabs opened and 12 chrome.exe process are shown in Task Manager, but there are a lot of different processes.

If you want to take a look...

sstm1_zps4a07a4e3.png

sstm2_zpsaf1c1cb8.png

siq

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

The ones in grey are probably not running. I don't even have the option to shut them down...
I checked for virus with combofix and Avast. Which AV should I try?

siq

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

I've tried what you suggested. Malwarebytes didn't find anything. The same for Combofix.

I guess that's what I'm gonna do if I can't find a less "final" solution.

I've also tried the solution listed here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-physical-memory-all-being-used-566077.html

because my problem looks like the one described, but it also didn't work...

bignastyid

Titan
May not be malware. At this point I would probably get my data backed up and do a reinstall Sommer thing is really messed up. Could be a program could be the os, finding the problem if you can will probably take longer than the nuke and pave.

Solution