Laptop for Video Editing

1_What is your budget?
Less than $1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Bigger the better, right? 1600 x 900 or less.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Hopefully at least 4 hours or less.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games just need for video editing.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Video editing, watching movies and picture editing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
At least 300GB.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
www.newegg.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Hopefully 3 plus years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Blu-ray ROM and DVD supermulti drive.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Was considering a HP or Toshiba… Toshiba Qosmio was recommended by a friend .

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Windows 7 Home Premium, HDMI supported, and being able to handle video editing tasks. This laptop is for a family friend and I have been thinking of either telling them to get a HP or Toshiba. Thank you for taking the time to help me out, as its greatly appreciated.
14 answers Last reply
More about laptop video editing
  1. this one will work wonderfully, it is also asus therefore less bloatware than your standard laptop. in addition it also has better hardware in my opinion, and is currently available, with a free notebook cooler to boot :)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220702

    if you want a bit cheaper, then get this, pretty much the same laptop as the one above, but it has a lower resolution.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696
  2. This laptop (as will most) does not meet all of your requirements...

    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1248/1/

    But I think you have to admit that it's a wonderful piece of hardware and would definitely be strong in the video editing department. Quadcore + ATI 5870 = WIN. Unfortunately, it's barely over your budget and its battery life will leave a LOT to be desired. 4 hours is a pretty tall order for a video-editing capable laptop.
  3. Thank you all very much!
  4. G73 is good but i don't think its needed because the OP isn't going to game much
  5. Maziar said:
    G73 is good but i don't think its needed because the OP isn't going to game much


    the 8GB of memory, 1TB of total HDD space, and the 5870 make it a good choice. More than likely there will be a softmod for the 5870 in the near future to make it behave just like a professional class card. Just because it is a Republic of Gamers laptop doesn't mean that it won't do anything else.
  6. I am looking for almost the exact same thing. I really want a 15" though - I don't want the extra weight of a 17". I think I may go with the Lenovo W510. I am really hard on my laptops and have had several T-series thinkpads from work. They have held up SO much better than my Dell and HP I bought on my own way back when. That was almost 9 years ago I owned the other brands so I can't speak for anything they have out now but my thinkpads continue to amaze me at how they hold up with drops and carrying around by the screens, etc. 11 years using them at work and have yet to need to have one sent in for repair.

    With tax I will be slightly over my $1500 budget. I am still considering the ASUS which is why I haven't purchased yet...

    Other reasons I am still looking. Cons for me - The W510 doesn't have HDMI and pulled the FHD screen resolution. No blu-ray available either.

    Big pluses for me: Reliability and the trackpoint. I ONLY use my trackpoint right now when I edit.


    Here is what I would get for my $1550 + tax:

    Processor: Intel Quad Core Processor i7 720QM (1.6GHz 1066MHz 6MBL3)
    Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64
    Display Panel: 15.6" HD+ Anti-Glare Display with LED Backlight and WWAN Antenna
    System Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 memory
    Color Sensor: Color Sensor X-Rite PANTONE Color Calibration
    Total memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
    Finger Print Reader: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
    Camera: Camera, 2.0 MP
    Hard Drive: 500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    Optical device: Multi Recorder Optical Drive (12.7mm)
    System expansion slots: Express Card Slot & 5 in 1 Card Reader
    Battery: 9 cell Li-Ion Battery
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth w/ antenna
    Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
    Wireless WWAN accessories: Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable


    I will keep an eye on your thread to see all the suggestions!
  7. gretzkygirl said:
    I am looking for almost the exact same thing. I really want a 15" though - I don't want the extra weight of a 17". I think I may go with the Lenovo W510. I am really hard on my laptops and have had several T-series thinkpads from work. They have held up SO much better than my Dell and HP I bought on my own way back when. That was almost 9 years ago I owned the other brands so I can't speak for anything they have out now but my thinkpads continue to amaze me at how they hold up with drops and carrying around by the screens, etc. 11 years using them at work and have yet to need to have one sent in for repair.

    With tax I will be slightly over my $1500 budget. I am still considering the ASUS which is why I haven't purchased yet...

    Other reasons I am still looking. Cons for me - The W510 doesn't have HDMI and pulled the FHD screen resolution. No blu-ray available either.

    Big pluses for me: Reliability and the trackpoint. I ONLY use my trackpoint right now when I edit.


    Here is what I would get for my $1550 + tax:

    Processor: Intel Quad Core Processor i7 720QM (1.6GHz 1066MHz 6MBL3)
    Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64
    Display Panel: 15.6" HD+ Anti-Glare Display with LED Backlight and WWAN Antenna
    System Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 memory
    Color Sensor: Color Sensor X-Rite PANTONE Color Calibration
    Total memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
    Finger Print Reader: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
    Camera: Camera, 2.0 MP
    Hard Drive: 500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    Optical device: Multi Recorder Optical Drive (12.7mm)
    System expansion slots: Express Card Slot & 5 in 1 Card Reader
    Battery: 9 cell Li-Ion Battery
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth w/ antenna
    Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
    Wireless WWAN accessories: Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable


    I will keep an eye on your thread to see all the suggestions!



    IMPO the better answer for you is:

    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8690-built-clevo-w860cu-custom-gaming-laptop-p-2659.html

    upgrade the screen to 1920x1080 Full HD and put a 500GB HDD in it. Comes out slightly more than 1550, but you get a comprable machine that has HDMI and DVI out.

    I feel I need to be more specific, this build with a bluray and a 500GB 7200 RPM HDD is 1598.71 cash price. No Tax on it, but there is still shipping to consider. if you drop the bluray for now (upgradable later) you can get it for 1487.21 cash price.

    Unless of course the built-in wwan card is a neccisity.
  8. Maverick4396 said:
    IMPO the better answer for you is:

    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8690-built-clevo-w860cu-custom-gaming-laptop-p-2659.html

    upgrade the screen to 1920x1080 Full HD and put a 500GB HDD in it. Comes out slightly more than 1550, but you get a comprable machine that has HDMI and DVI out.

    I feel I need to be more specific, this build with a bluray and a 500GB 7200 RPM HDD is 1598.71 cash price. No Tax on it, but there is still shipping to consider. if you drop the bluray for now (upgradable later) you can get it for 1487.21 cash price.

    Unless of course the built-in wwan card is a neccisity.


    that card couldnt stand against a good quadro... i dont see why you keep recommending gaming cards.
  9. requiemsallure said:
    that card couldnt stand against a good quadro... i dont see why you keep recommending gaming cards.


    have you ever heard of a softmod? you may want to do some research on it.
  10. you ever heard its actually not as good as the actual card itself? you do know the architectures are much different and that causes internal strain on the gaming graphics that isn't quite healthy, it may be worth it for a while, but it isn't a guaranteed fix. at the same time the quadro will do the job it is designed for with out all of the internal strain, besides do you really expect them to know how to perform a softmod? they may know how they may not...
  11. requiemsallure said:
    you ever heard its actually not as good as the actual card itself? you do know the architectures are much different and that causes internal strain on the gaming graphics that isn't quite healthy, it may be worth it for a while, but it isn't a guaranteed fix. at the same time the quadro will do the job it is designed for with out all of the internal strain, besides do you really expect them to know how to perform a softmod? they may know how they may not...


    I might agree with you if there was a hardware difference. There isn't. The difference is in the Bios and Professional class drivers. Nothing more.
  12. I think I am a bit more confused now!

    Doing a softmod on a video card isn't something I know how to do...I am not completely untechnical so I could probably figure it out if needed but would rather not have to mess with anything if given a choice. :)

    So is a 'better' graphics card not neccessarily better in all cases? I don't game at all. The only thing I do that is at all taxing on my current machine is use photoshop to edit pictures and use corel to convert my avchd files and make movies.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Video Editing Product