Have Communities URL's changed recently?

Can somebody tell me what's going on with the newgroups URL's? My PC at home
is under WinXP Home SP2. I'm currently on my PC at work under Win2000,
5.00.2195, SP2.

For a long time, at home I've had a URL in my Favorites for Communities
Newsgroups and it worked fine.
For several days now, it has taken me to the usual Microsoft window, with a
menu on the left pane, but the right pane has been white with the message
"Service temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

My Favorites URL at work (for Windows XP Newsgroups) is the following:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0888dbc3-c2c8-4f08-be46-ce8be7e90c15&mid=2937fab2-5a6b-4959-82d5-acf8e4b75775#62029200-25db-4f70-98a3-e3c3ae74f72c
However, when I use it I get an all-white screen with the "Service
temporarily unavailable" message, but what shows in the Address bar is:
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/aspx/err.aspx?sloc=en-us&stgxml=

Now, at work, I can step my way from Microsoft.com -> Communities ->
Newsgroups -> Windows XP and it works fine, showing the following URL in the
Address bar:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

At home, I got e-mail help from Microsoft and they gave me a link (sorry, I
don't have it here) which they say works fine, but when I take the link I get
the same message.

Can you straighten me out, please?

Welcome to Microsoft Discussion Groups

Find a Community: Find online technical communities for the Microsoft
products and technologies you use.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/find/default.mspx

Microsoft Technical Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx

Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 is akin to bear skins and stone knives.

Do yourself a favor and setup a real newsreader.

Outlook Express came free with XP.

Use it.

You will later wonder why you didn't setup OE as your newsreader sooner.

MICROSOFT PUBLIC NEWSGROUPS
[[There are many valuable newsgroups on the msnews.microsoft.com server, on
nearly every available topic and in many different languages. Clicking the
links below will automatically create any necessary account configuration in
Outlook Express and take you directly to the newsgroup you have selected -
no complicated technical configurations are needed!]]
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Using Outlook Express To View Newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdirectory%2fworldwide%2fen-gb%2fnewsout.asp

Viewing and Posting to Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/newsgroups.asp

Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader

Getting News from Newsgroups
Ignore this part ->> Access a newsgroup right from the Web.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.asp

Set Up Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/setup.asp

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

Outlook Express newsgroups 101
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A7837BC8-10D3-4A94-B139-76180281BEAC@microsoft.com,
BudV <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks. It works, BUT...
> The step-through I show in my first post gets me to Windows XP newsgroups,
> which is exactly what I want.
>
> Your URL takes me to a menu which -- for XP -- only shows Media Center
> stuff, and I'm not sure how to get to where I want from there.
>
> "S." wrote:
>
>> Use this URL:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
>>
>> S.
>>
>> "BudV" wrote:
>>
>>> Can somebody tell me what's going on with the newgroups URL's? My PC at
>>> home is under WinXP Home SP2. I'm currently on my PC at work under
>>> Win2000,
>>> 5.00.2195, SP2.
>>>
>>> For a long time, at home I've had a URL in my Favorites for Communities
>>> Newsgroups and it worked fine.
>>> For several days now, it has taken me to the usual Microsoft window,
>>> with a menu on the left pane, but the right pane has been white with
>>> the message "Service temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."
>>>
>>> My Favorites URL at work (for Windows XP Newsgroups) is the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0888dbc3-c2c8-4f08-be46-ce8be7e90c15&mid=2937fab2-5a6b-4959-82d5-acf8e4b75775#62029200-25db-4f70-98a3-e3c3ae74f72c
>>> However, when I use it I get an all-white screen with the "Service
>>> temporarily unavailable" message, but what shows in the Address bar is:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/aspx/err.aspx?sloc=en-us&stgxml=
>>>
>>> Now, at work, I can step my way from Microsoft.com -> Communities ->
>>> Newsgroups -> Windows XP and it works fine, showing the following URL
>>> in the Address bar:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

>>> At home, I got e-mail help from Microsoft and they gave me a link
>>> (sorry, I don't have it here) which they say works fine, but when I
>>> take the link I get the same message.
>>>
>>> Can you straighten me out, please?

I hear you.

But, like Welsey said, maybe you would be better off using a real news
reader to go directly where you want to go.

With the link I gave you you need to browse to where you want to go. For
instance if you want to go to the General XP Discussion Group; English,
Windows, General Discussion, Windows XP General Discussion. Same thing for
Games, Security, etc.

S.

"BudV" wrote:

> Thanks. It works, BUT...
> The step-through I show in my first post gets me to Windows XP newsgroups,
> which is exactly what I want.
>
> Your URL takes me to a menu which -- for XP -- only shows Media Center
> stuff, and I'm not sure how to get to where I want from there.
>
> "S." wrote:
>
> > Use this URL:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
> >
> > S.
> >
> > "BudV" wrote:
> >
> > > Can somebody tell me what's going on with the newgroups URL's? My PC at home
> > > is under WinXP Home SP2. I'm currently on my PC at work under Win2000,
> > > 5.00.2195, SP2.
> > >
> > > For a long time, at home I've had a URL in my Favorites for Communities
> > > Newsgroups and it worked fine.
> > > For several days now, it has taken me to the usual Microsoft window, with a
> > > menu on the left pane, but the right pane has been white with the message
> > > "Service temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."
> > >
> > > My Favorites URL at work (for Windows XP Newsgroups) is the following:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0888dbc3-c2c8-4f08-be46-ce8be7e90c15&mid=2937fab2-5a6b-4959-82d5-acf8e4b75775#62029200-25db-4f70-98a3-e3c3ae74f72c
> > > However, when I use it I get an all-white screen with the "Service
> > > temporarily unavailable" message, but what shows in the Address bar is:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/aspx/err.aspx?sloc=en-us&stgxml=
> > >
> > > Now, at work, I can step my way from Microsoft.com -> Communities ->
> > > Newsgroups -> Windows XP and it works fine, showing the following URL in the
> > > Address bar:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US
> > >
> > > At home, I got e-mail help from Microsoft and they gave me a link (sorry, I
> > > don't have it here) which they say works fine, but when I take the link I get
> > > the same message.
> > >
> > > Can you straighten me out, please?

NEW CLUES!

I have access to four different systems. This problem occurs with AT&T's
DSL and T1,
but does not occur with AT&T or AOL dialup.

"BudV" wrote:

> (This may be a duplicate post)
> Thanks, that works, BUT...
> The step-through I described in my post takes me to Windows XP Newsgroups --
> exactly where I want to be.
>
> Your URL takes me to something with a menu that, for XP, seems to show only
> Media Center options.
>
> "S." wrote:
>
> > Use this URL:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
> >
> > S.
> >
> > "BudV" wrote:
> >
> > > Can somebody tell me what's going on with the newgroups URL's? My PC at home
> > > is under WinXP Home SP2. I'm currently on my PC at work under Win2000,
> > > 5.00.2195, SP2.
> > >
> > > For a long time, at home I've had a URL in my Favorites for Communities
> > > Newsgroups and it worked fine.
> > > For several days now, it has taken me to the usual Microsoft window, with a
> > > menu on the left pane, but the right pane has been white with the message
> > > "Service temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."
> > >
> > > My Favorites URL at work (for Windows XP Newsgroups) is the following:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0888dbc3-c2c8-4f08-be46-ce8be7e90c15&mid=2937fab2-5a6b-4959-82d5-acf8e4b75775#62029200-25db-4f70-98a3-e3c3ae74f72c
> > > However, when I use it I get an all-white screen with the "Service
> > > temporarily unavailable" message, but what shows in the Address bar is:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/aspx/err.aspx?sloc=en-us&stgxml=
> > >
> > > Now, at work, I can step my way from Microsoft.com -> Communities ->
> > > Newsgroups -> Windows XP and it works fine, showing the following URL in the
> > > Address bar:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US
> > >
> > > At home, I got e-mail help from Microsoft and they gave me a link (sorry, I
> > > don't have it here) which they say works fine, but when I take the link I get
> > > the same message.
> > >
> > > Can you straighten me out, please?

"Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 is akin to bear skins and stone knives."
1) What does "CDO" stand for?
2) Assuming that it refers to these discussion groups, I only mentioned it
because it happens to be the OS I'm currently stuck with at work. I'm not
asking any questions about it.

Thank you for the comprehensive set of links. I've printed them all, and
when I'm finished reading them I suspect I'll be an expert at something --
I'm just not sure at what!

I think I may be straying from the path you intended for me, so please look
at the following comments/questions and rescue me if possible:

I am familliar with Outlook Express and its access to newsgroups, where I
have had some experience with pen pals and meeting a nice lady, and with
downloading X-rated photographs. I do not, however, visualize being able to
utilize the categorization of topics there as well as I can here.

Dumb question (maybe). Are the postings of questions/replies here the same
database as those I find in OE's newsgroups, but simply with a nicer
presentation, or are they completely separate?

I think I'm terribly confused. Can you help, or is it too late for me?

And as long as I have your attention, please note the post I made at the
bottom about NEW CLUES, which deals with the original reason for my post. Is
that message "Service temporarily unavailable ..." something that Microsoft
would generate, or could the ISP (AT&T) be generating it? (BTW, I still
can't get here with my WinXP DSL -- I'm using my Win95 dialup!)

Many thanks for your time and assistance.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A7837BC8-10D3-4A94-B139-76180281BEAC@microsoft.com,
> BudV <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks. It works, BUT...
> > The step-through I show in my first post gets me to Windows XP newsgroups,
> > which is exactly what I want.
> >
> > Your URL takes me to a menu which -- for XP -- only shows Media Center
> > stuff, and I'm not sure how to get to where I want from there.
> >
> > "S." wrote:
> >
> >> Use this URL:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
> >>
> >> S.

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0888dbc3-c2c8-4f08-be46-ce8be7e90c15&mid=2937fab2-5a6b-4959-82d5-acf8e4b75775#62029200-25db-4f70-98a3-e3c3ae74f72c

Okay, I asked about CDO and I got answers, full of acronyms like ASP, NNTP,
SMTP, and MAPI. Hey guys, I've been programming mainframe applications for
almost 50 years, so I'm old, and tired, and a relative idiot when it comes
down to understanding what you're trying to tell me.

I'm pretty sure that Doug's "What you see in the web interface ..." answers
my dumb question. But what you haven't helped me with is the confusion I'm
showing about categorization of topics. What I see here (in the communities
newsgroups) is "pretty", convenient, and organized as far as zeroing in on
the proper category to browse or post. I'm missing something, because I
don't see that same convenience in OE yet. I still need your help, but
preferably in simple English, if you don't mind.

The war is over! As of a few minutes ago, I have been able to get here via
my DSL. Don't know why. Don't care. (But I still need that help with the
OE business.)

"BudV" wrote:

> NEW CLUES!
>
> I have access to four different systems. This problem occurs with AT&T's
> DSL and T1,
> but does not occur with AT&T or AOL dialup.
>
> "BudV" wrote:
>
> > (This may be a duplicate post)
> > Thanks, that works, BUT...
> > The step-through I described in my post takes me to Windows XP Newsgroups --
> > exactly where I want to be.
> >
> > Your URL takes me to something with a menu that, for XP, seems to show only
> > Media Center options.
> >
> > "S." wrote:
> >
> > > Use this URL:
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
> > >
> > > S.

CDO = Collaboration Data Objects. Its simply a set of components that allow you to do things like post to newsgroups and the like from ASP web pages, applications and other methods without having to write your own custom NNTP or SMTP interfaces.

What you see in the web interface is the same as what you see in Outlook Express (content wise). Same posts.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"BudV" <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC681F80-ED32-408F-A142-42DD3C283621@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:A7837BC8-10D3-4A94-B139-76180281BEAC@microsoft.com,
>> BudV <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > Thanks. It works, BUT...
>> > The step-through I show in my first post gets me to Windows XP newsgroups,
>> > which is exactly what I want.
>> >
>> > Your URL takes me to a menu which -- for XP -- only shows Media Center
>> > stuff, and I'm not sure how to get to where I want from there.

>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0888dbc3-c2c8-4f08-be46-ce8be7e90c15&mid=2937fab2-5a6b-4959-82d5-acf8e4b75775#62029200-25db-4f70-98a3-e3c3ae74f72c

Collabrative Data Objects

It the component on Windows that allows programs to send mail and related things without that program having to be a mail program. It's a script interface to MAPI. Although it the one on the MS server you are connecting to that is being talked about not the one on your computer. MS's web server uses it to forward your messages into the group. It identifies the posting client as MS CDO (because it is the web server that is posting here not you unlike most of us who post direct).

People who use the web interface are considered sub human.
> [...]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:A7837BC8-10D3-4A94-B139-76180281BEAC@microsoft.com,
>> BudV <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > Thanks. It works, BUT...
>> > The step-through I show in my first post gets me to Windows XP newsgroups,
>> > which is exactly what I want.
>> >
>> > Your URL takes me to a menu which -- for XP -- only shows Media Center
>> > stuff, and I'm not sure how to get to where I want from there.

>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&p=1&tid=0888dbc3-c2c8-4f08-be46-ce8be7e90c15&mid=2937fab2-5a6b-4959-82d5-acf8e4b75775#62029200-25db-4f70-98a3-e3c3ae74f72c

What exact help.

"BudV" <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A459D143-3628-46AA-9736-E39C94747350@microsoft.com...
> The war is over! As of a few minutes ago, I have been able to get here via
> my DSL. Don't know why. Don't care. (But I still need that help with the
> OE business.)
>
> "BudV" wrote:
>
>> NEW CLUES!
>>
>> I have access to four different systems. This problem occurs with AT&T's
>> DSL and T1,
>> but does not occur with AT&T or AOL dialup.
>>
>> "BudV" wrote:
>>
>> > (This may be a duplicate post)
>> > Thanks, that works, BUT...
>> > The step-through I described in my post takes me to Windows XP Newsgroups --
>> > exactly where I want to be.
>> >
>> > Your URL takes me to something with a menu that, for XP, seems to show only
>> > Media Center options.

Well, you probably should have told me to RTFM. :)

I hadn't yet read the writeups that Wesley gave me, so I was operating a
little in the dark. Now that I've reviewed them, I've set up my msnews
folder in OE, and things are starting to fall into place. In fact, I'm
replying here via OE.

I don't care about ASP, NNTP, SMTP, and MAPI, and I still think the
communities put on a nicer presentation, but I'm here to stay. Thanks to all
of you for your help.

BudV

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
What exact help.

"BudV" <BudV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The war is over! As of a few minutes ago, I have been able to get here
> via
> my DSL. Don't know why. Don't care. (But I still need that help with
> the
> OE business.)
>
> "BudV" wrote:
>
>> NEW CLUES!
>>
>> I have access to four different systems. This problem occurs with AT&T's
>> DSL and T1,
>> but does not occur with AT&T or AOL dialup.
>>
>> "BudV" wrote:
>>
>> > (This may be a duplicate post)
>> > Thanks, that works, BUT...
>> > The step-through I described in my post takes me to Windows XP
>> > Newsgroups --
>> > exactly where I want to be.
>> >
>> > Your URL takes me to something with a menu that, for XP, seems to show
>> > only
>> > Media Center options.

BudV,

Yes, you certainly are...