I've had this nagging problem for as long as I've had my phone. For some reason, one single album of music and no others splits into two separate genres. One half if the album is under the "Instrumental and Progressive Metal" genre and the other is being called "Other." None of these problems show up in WMP: the album plays through normally and is in the correct genre. Because of this, I can't listen to the album straight through on my phone without having to fiddle through the menus.
I've carefully looked at every single file of the album in the files properties using the file viewer in Windows 7 and Mp3tag, and there is no difference between the files. I don't understand why this is happening if the files are all properly labeled. The only hint I have is that my phone displays a thumbnail of the album art on the music player, but in this case, it only shows the album art in the part of the album in the "Instrumental and Progressive Metal" genre.
Use iTunes, Windows Media Player has always been garbage.
In iTunes, once you've added your music - left click the first song in said album, then hold shift and click the last song. Right click on them and hit "get info," it'll ask you if you want to change information for multiple items. Acknowledge it. In the window that pops up, set the album name then save it. Next, open computer, and plug in your phone. Go back to iTunes and re-highlight the songs. Drag them to your phone.
I followed your steps exactly, but that didn't do anything. I'm still getting the same problem. I don't see what changing the player would do if the files are the same. Is there something that can dig deeper than Mp3tag?
I apologize, I meant set the genre name not album name.
I used to have issues with Windows Media Player adding a space to the end of the album or artist name on some songs but not on others, and it would therefor show up under two headings in my phone but appear exactly the same on my computer. I've never had the issue with iTunes, I figured that may have been the problem you were experiencing.
Did you check all the other information in the "get info" window to verify it matches 100%? Artist, album artist, album, grouping, composer, comments, genre, year?
Yeah, I've had the problem with double songs and stuff, but that was fixable with messing with the files. Just to test, I changed the genre (in the file under the music library in Windows 7, not using windows media player or itunes) of the album to "REAREAGE" and only part of the album keeps the change. The rest of the album stays as "Other" on my phone. Yes everything matches, both in Itunes and windows media player
It seems the problem lay with the ID3 tags. While the tags within the album were identical it seems that some tags had both ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags associated with them, and the long song names on some songs would apparently interfere with ID3v1 (at least from what I can glean from a cursory google search) and cause the album to split. I deleted the tags and had to rename them and now everything is showing up fine on my phone. Bout damn time I fixed this. I guess I answered my own question.