Virus?

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
hi all

ive just installed windows 8 and it seems to work fine so i downloaded avg anti spyware and it finds this rootkit
"";"C:\Windows\System32\drivers\HIDCLASS.SYS";"hidusb.sys, hooked import HIDCLASS.SYS HidRegisterMinidriver -> HIDCLASS.SYS HidRegisterMinidriver";"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"

is this a problem? and if it is how do i fix it?

edgeria

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
LMAO!!! It work great on VMware but I will not install until it is all fixed. But I say why change it if Win7 works fine. Well, At least it works great for me. :bounce:

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

I can attest to this. I just got a new PC and wanted to put in Windows 8 Release Preview as my primary OS (I have a very large tendency to experiment with beta/alphas of software to much such as browser, video drivers...etc).

-A bunch of program errors
-IE didn't render pages correctly half the time
-Firefox has graphical glitches
-Chrome makes the entire windows freeze to the point of requiring a hard-reset
-Doesn't wake up from sleep

The list goes on, I was messing with it for like a whole day until I got sick of it and went back to Windows 7 and everything works perfect now. I'll stick to windows 7 until final is released in October and I'll keep windows 8 in a VM.

List of errors? I want to try to see if i get it too for reporting purposes.
What websites do not render right? Metro IE or normal? To be honest I did not use IE much.
Time to try chrome :)
FF seems ok so far, but time will tell.
So far sleep has worked the one time I used it.

Generally I still find it harder to get every day things done on windows 8, but this may change with use.

PM me if you wish to not keep this thread going. I think we need a Toms win8 bugs/workarounds thread here.

EDIT.....

So I installed chrome and was playing some Field Runners(on chromes HTML5 app thingy) 6 or so waves in. bang. hard lock. Guess that sucks. Worst part is if I crash win8, windows 7 wants to run chkdsk on ALL my drives after.

Even wants to check a "\\?\Volume{37c2c592-cfaa-11e0-......more letters...."

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Exactly, chrome has something wrong with it. It hard locks and freezes. I would be okay if just chrome froze, just a simply task manager kill, but it freezes OS entirely. I do not have a list of errors as I got rid of entirely, didn't bother saving anything.

And I was using the normal IE, not metro. It was not rendering tomshardware, youtube, weather.com correctly at all, at times, the entire website was displayed as just text only.

My problem may have been due to the fact that I went ahead and installed the 300 series nvidia drivers even though it has not been released/supported for win8, not even a beta driver so it could have caused instability. However, the 300 drivers give a good performance boost.

Also, the metro is annoying at first, but I got used to it quickly :).

Either way, I'm back to windows 7 where stuff "JUST WORKS".