Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to transfer XP transfer files to W7?

Last response: in Windows 7
April 6, 2010 5:28:04 PM

So, here is a problem... I used XP Transfer Wizard to store my files (over 200GB) on external hard drive. Now I have Windows 7 machine and can't use them directly... I tried to use Virtual PC XP mode to import files but Virtual PC can only handle something around 136 GB virtual hard disk, so after 6 hours of transfer it stopped... I don't have the XP machine anymore - I'm stuck with Windows 7 and can't figure out how to move these files over!!!
Is there a way to actually open all these Wizard IMGXXXXX.dat files and read them?

Thanks in advance...

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2010 9:30:15 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only way to recover them is by installing XP. If you have a spare drive to install XP on it's your best option, no need to activate it as you only need it to recover the files.
If you can manage to do this, you can then use the Windows 7 Easy Transfer Wizard to transfer the files to W7.
To use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard from XP:
Browse to the DVD drive on your computer and click migsetup.exe in the Support\Migwiz directory.
If you don't have a spare drive, it will be worth gettting one, they are quite cheap now.
April 6, 2010 9:36:25 PM

Thank you.
This was my plan B...

Thank you again.
Score
Related resources
April 16, 2010 12:39:38 PM

Best answer selected by bigg-brother.
Score
February 18, 2012 5:33:47 PM

What if you have the old computer here with the new and you need to get the old XP data over to the new W7 computer. I also have a 1TB external drive. I need to get my files and photos and such moved over. Help please, I'm not a computer expert and I can't find anything on MS website. The easy transfer is not recognising the .dat on my W7.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 6:47:17 PM

KrisRabideau said:
What if you have the old computer here with the new and you need to get the old XP data over to the new W7 computer. I also have a 1TB external drive. I need to get my files and photos and such moved over. Help please, I'm not a computer expert and I can't find anything on MS website. The easy transfer is not recognising the .dat on my W7.

U can copy the whole folder and paste it where is needed.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 6:48:01 PM

KrisRabideau said:

Open a new question thread on your problem, that is the best way to get helped : )
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 6:48:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!