If I buy a router and buy 2 laptops with integrated wireless 802.11g Lan &
10/100 Wired Lan, does this mean I do not need to buy network cards or is
this not the case.

Cheers

Dennis Jubb

Most laptops come with wireless and wired LAN cards built into the
motherboard now. Before buying a router, see which router the manufacturer
recommends.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"dennisjubb" wrote:

> If I buy a router and buy 2 laptops with integrated wireless 802.11g Lan &
> 10/100 Wired Lan, does this mean I do not need to buy network cards or is
> this not the case.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis Jubb

thanks mate

"uggabugga" wrote:

> Most laptops come with wireless and wired LAN cards built into the
> motherboard now. Before buying a router, see which router the manufacturer
> recommends.
> --
> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>

> "dennisjubb" wrote:
>
> > If I buy a router and buy 2 laptops with integrated wireless 802.11g Lan &
> > 10/100 Wired Lan, does this mean I do not need to buy network cards or is
> > this not the case.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Dennis Jubb

You would also need to but the router that is compatible with 802.11G. If
you do not, then you need to get network cards that the router can connect
to.

"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I buy a router and buy 2 laptops with integrated wireless 802.11g Lan &
> 10/100 Wired Lan, does this mean I do not need to buy network cards or is
> this not the case.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis Jubb

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 03:31 pm, Yves Leclerc had
this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> You would also need to but the router that is compatible with 802.11G. If
> you do not, then you need to get network cards that the router can connect
> to.
>

> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If I buy a router and buy 2 laptops with integrated wireless 802.11g Lan
>> & 10/100 Wired Lan, does this mean I do not need to buy network cards or
>> is this not the case.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dennis Jubb

Why? He already said the laptops come with 10/100 wired lan.

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 01:48 pm, uggabugga had this
to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Most laptops come with wireless and wired LAN cards built into the
> motherboard now. Before buying a router, see which router the manufacturer
> recommends.

Why would he have to care which router the manufacturer recommends? It makes
no difference to the computer what kind of router it is attached to. What
makes a difference is the capabilities of the router itself. Personally I
would recommend a Linksys router. They generally run Linux and are very
good and capable for a low-cost device.

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.
To mess up a Windows box, you need to work *on* it.

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 01:43 pm, jaredbird had this
to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Yes, you would not need to buy network cards, provided by router you are
> referring to a wireless ap/router and as long as they are interoperable
> with each other.(the integrated nics + the ap)
>
> "dennisjubb" wrote:
>
>> If I buy a router and buy 2 laptops with integrated wireless 802.11g Lan
>> & 10/100 Wired Lan, does this mean I do not need to buy network cards or
>> is this not the case.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dennis Jubb

Wrong! Why would he need to purchase network cards when the laptops come
with builtin NICs?

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.
To mess up a Windows box, you need to work *on* it.

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:48:26 -0700, uggabugga
<uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Most laptops come with wireless and wired LAN cards built into the
>motherboard now. Before buying a router, see which router the manufacturer
>recommends.

So if I've got two laptops with Ethernet ports, can I connect 'em,
configure some XP network wizard, and transfer files?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

If you connect both to a hub or router with a CAT5 cable, probably so.
If connecting directly, you'll need a crossover cable.
You will need to enable sharing on the folders containing the files that you
want to move.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:56:01 -0600, "NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> So if I've got two laptops with Ethernet ports, can I connect 'em,
>> configure some XP network wizard, and transfer files?

>If you connect both to a hub or router with a CAT5 cable, probably so.
>If connecting directly, you'll need a crossover cable.
>You will need to enable sharing on the folders containing the files that you
>want to move.

Thanks --that's very clear!