Inspiron DVD/CD Burner

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and right now, it has a removable DVD/CD drive.
I'd like to replace this drive with a comparable DVD/CD burner +/- RW that
would just plug into the same location as the original drive. Dell has one
that sells for $206.96 but I don't know who the manufacturer is or what the
model no. is. Would anyone have any recommendations?

--
Thanks,
Tony

Tony P. wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and right now, it has a removable DVD/CD
> drive. I'd like to replace this drive with a comparable DVD/CD burner
> +/- RW that would just plug into the same location as the original
> drive. Dell has one that sells for $206.96 but I don't know who the
> manufacturer is or what the model no. is. Would anyone have any
> recommendations?

That is a competetive price for a replacement, but better dual-layer
burners are available in the slimline format. www.newegg.com as well as
others, list the NEC 3500 slimline drive for about $190. This is a very
highly rated drive (LightOn, Pioneer, also). An alternative is the same
5.25 inch desktop drive for about $90, and a USB2/Firewire enclosure for
less than $50.

I think you may be referring to the NEC ND-6500. I don't believe the 3500[A]
is available in a slimline format.

Thanks,
Tony

> That is a competetive price for a replacement, but better dual-layer
> burners are available in the slimline format. www.newegg.com as well
> as others, list the NEC 3500 slimline drive for about $190. This is
> a very highly rated drive (LightOn, Pioneer, also). An alternative
> is the same 5.25 inch desktop drive for about $90, and a USB2/Firewire
> enclosure
> for less than $50.

toy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

"Tony P." <noone@cork.adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and right now, it has a removable DVD/CD drive.
>I'd like to replace this drive with a comparable DVD/CD burner +/- RW that
>would just plug into the same location as the original drive. Dell has one
>that sells for $206.96 but I don't know who the manufacturer is or what the
>model no. is. Would anyone have any recommendations?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Tony
> For replies, please correct my email address.

here in ROB (Rip off Britain) the 8x DVD Burner drive for my M60 which I
believe would be the same one for the 8600...... is £310 ($558) can you get
me one for $208...............

toy

If your burner cost $558 how much did your M60 cost? For that cost, you can
fly over here buy a new PC & take a vacation & you'll still come out ahead
:).

Tony P. wrote:
> I think you may be referring to the NEC ND-6500. I don't believe the
> 3500[A] is available in a slimline format.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
>

>> That is a competetive price for a replacement, but better dual-layer
>> burners are available in the slimline format. www.newegg.com as well
>> as others, list the NEC 3500 slimline drive for about $190. This is
>> a very highly rated drive (LightOn, Pioneer, also). An alternative
>> is the same 5.25 inch desktop drive for about $90, and a
>> USB2/Firewire enclosure
>> for less than $50.

Entirely correct. I have the 3500A full size drive and have been
waiting for the 6500A to reach the merchandisers.