Largest Hard Drive replacement?

I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
I have heard that something restricts the ability of
that computer to use large hard drives. I have
changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
type of drive I need to function properly in this old
computer?
Thanks,
Dick

A 1997-model Gateway Pentium II motherboard is very likely to be the Intel-made
PD440FX or "Portland" model with 4 72-pin SIMM sockets. I have never pushed the
PD440FX BIOS to find its hard drive limits, but the BIOS limit for 1997-model
Intel boards is likely to be 8.4GB. It could be 32GB, the next step upward in
the steady progression of BIOS limits.

Given that just about the smallest new drive available today is 40GB, your best
bet is to install a 3rd party IDE controller (e.g. Promise) or disk BIOS
extender card, then add the new hard drive.

Most hard drive manufacturers provide free downloads of "disk overlay" software,
which inserts itself between the BIOS and the operating system, and provides
disk BIOS functions to the operating system. "Disk overlay" software can
complicate software installation and data recovery. I do not recommend using
it. The controller card costs more than "free" but you get what you pay for.

If you have inexpensive access to a used larger capacity hard drive (10, 20,
40GB), you can always try it first, to see whether the BIOS accepts it or not.

If you are running Linux, don't worry about hard drive BIOS limits. It is only
Windows which is afflicted by disk BIOS issues... Ben Myers

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:06:11 -0700, "Dick M." <webmiles@coxREMOVE.net> wrote:

>I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
>I have heard that something restricts the ability of
>that computer to use large hard drives. I have
>changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
>more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
>What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
>type of drive I need to function properly in this old
>computer?
>Thanks,
>Dick

Simplest thing is to bypass the BIOS and install a controller card - then
you're not limited to drive size (but note that if you're still running DOS
(95/98/ME) you face a 120G limit on drive size.

The onboard controller is ATA33 at best - so a controller card is a good
idea from a performance standpoint, even if you don't need it for capacity.

"Dick M." <webmiles@coxREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
> I have heard that something restricts the ability of
> that computer to use large hard drives. I have
> changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
> more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
> What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
> type of drive I need to function properly in this old
> computer?
> Thanks,
> Dick

Scott

Ed,

I have a Gateway E-3200 onto which I will be loading Win98SE. It seems
to me I saw somewhere on the website for the Ultra Controller that they have
a controller card that allows a hard drive larger than 120G. I bought a 200GB
WD drive awhile back, and I'm hoping to use it on this system.

Any thoughts?

Scott

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

> Simplest thing is to bypass the BIOS and install a controller card - then
> you're not limited to drive size (but note that if you're still running DOS
> (95/98/ME) you face a 120G limit on drive size.
>
> The onboard controller is ATA33 at best - so a controller card is a good
> idea from a performance standpoint, even if you don't need it for capacity.
>
> "Dick M." <webmiles@coxREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> >I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
> > I have heard that something restricts the ability of
> > that computer to use large hard drives. I have
> > changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
> > more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
> > What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
> > type of drive I need to function properly in this old
> > computer?
> > Thanks,
> > Dick

You will need 2000 SP4, XP SP1 or SP2 or Linux to use a drive that size.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> I have a Gateway E-3200 onto which I will be loading Win98SE. It seems
> to me I saw somewhere on the website for the Ultra Controller that they
> have
> a controller card that allows a hard drive larger than 120G. I bought a
> 200GB
> WD drive awhile back, and I'm hoping to use it on this system.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Scott
>
> "Edward J. Neth" wrote:
>
>> Simplest thing is to bypass the BIOS and install a controller card - then
>> you're not limited to drive size (but note that if you're still running
>> DOS
>> (95/98/ME) you face a 120G limit on drive size.
>>
>> The onboard controller is ATA33 at best - so a controller card is a good
>> idea from a performance standpoint, even if you don't need it for
>> capacity.
>>
>> "Dick M." <webmiles@coxREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> >I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
>> > I have heard that something restricts the ability of
>> > that computer to use large hard drives. I have
>> > changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
>> > more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
>> > What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
>> > type of drive I need to function properly in this old
>> > computer?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Dick

Scott

Ed,

You know what....I just remembered I'm going to be using a different E-3200
that I got through ebay. This one came with WinXP (and SP2) installed, activated,
plus a restore CD. So, thankfully, the 200G drive will be no problem. As for
my E-3200's with Win98, that reminds me of a Clint Eastwood quote: "A man's
got to know his limitations."

Scott