Memory Holes in XP? Is there an effective scavanger out th..

My problems with XP(SP2, HE) seem to stem from XP's inability to run it's own
startup processes correctly (takes three or more re-starts to enable all the
sys-tray processes). When accomplished, XP is very unstable to
memory-hogging apps (such as NERO) in that (arbitrarily) when editing video
files NeroVision Express (2) freezes (hungapp error notes), but Task Manager
(oxymoron) is unable to quash the process (even in Process window). To
recover, I have to power-off and cold-start (then suffer above problems). I
have manually checked all the 'system devices' (including hidden) and removed
all extraneous guff.

What I need is a memory scavenger that ensures stopped proecesses correctly
returns RAM to the free pool and a method of ensuring that XP executes
start-up according to a defined order and not randomly.

I am running virus, privacy and firewalling s/w from both MS and independents.

Any ideas please?

mecon

Mecon

I run XP SP2, have 15 start-up entries and I do not have to boot three times
to get them all to work.. maybe you should look at what is running in
MSCONFIG and disable them all.. at each reboot, start one process, and
eventually, you will find out what is causing your problems.. guff

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"mecon" <mecon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My problems with XP(SP2, HE) seem to stem from XP's inability to run it's
> own
> startup processes correctly (takes three or more re-starts to enable all
> the
> sys-tray processes). When accomplished, XP is very unstable to
> memory-hogging apps (such as NERO) in that (arbitrarily) when editing
> video
> files NeroVision Express (2) freezes (hungapp error notes), but Task
> Manager
> (oxymoron) is unable to quash the process (even in Process window). To
> recover, I have to power-off and cold-start (then suffer above problems).
> have manually checked all the 'system devices' (including hidden) and
> removed
> all extraneous guff.
>
> What I need is a memory scavenger that ensures stopped proecesses
> correctly
> returns RAM to the free pool and a method of ensuring that XP executes
> start-up according to a defined order and not randomly.
>
> I am running virus, privacy and firewalling s/w from both MS and
> independents.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> mecon

Mike:

Thanks for that (below) - I have already tried some of this, but have since
found that I seem to have all sorts of links to old usernames that had not
been deleted correctly (mostly admin names and my user name is in the admin
group). Maybe if I clear these up I wont have the problem - XP cant start a
process if the link is invaild (i.e. doesn't exist!!).

Will respond under this heading if I corrected it to avoid extra posts.

ciao,
mecon

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Mecon
>
> I run XP SP2, have 15 start-up entries and I do not have to boot three times
> to get them all to work.. maybe you should look at what is running in
> MSCONFIG and disable them all.. at each reboot, start one process, and
> eventually, you will find out what is causing your problems.. guff
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User

[snip my guff]

lso, you may have some hidden spywares that cause your problem. I am
running XP with 15 to 20 autostart applications without problems.

> Mecon
>
> I run XP SP2, have 15 start-up entries and I do not have to boot three
> times to get them all to work.. maybe you should look at what is running
> in MSCONFIG and disable them all.. at each reboot, start one process, and
> eventually, you will find out what is causing your problems.. guff
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "mecon" <mecon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My problems with XP(SP2, HE) seem to stem from XP's inability to run it's
>> own
>> startup processes correctly (takes three or more re-starts to enable all
>> the
>> sys-tray processes). When accomplished, XP is very unstable to
>> memory-hogging apps (such as NERO) in that (arbitrarily) when editing
>> video
>> files NeroVision Express (2) freezes (hungapp error notes), but Task
>> Manager
>> (oxymoron) is unable to quash the process (even in Process window). To
>> recover, I have to power-off and cold-start (then suffer above problems).
>> have manually checked all the 'system devices' (including hidden) and
>> removed
>> all extraneous guff.
>>
>> What I need is a memory scavenger that ensures stopped proecesses
>> correctly
>> returns RAM to the free pool and a method of ensuring that XP executes
>> start-up according to a defined order and not randomly.
>>
>> I am running virus, privacy and firewalling s/w from both MS and
>> independents.
>>
>> Any ideas please?
>>
>> mecon

Please see response post - I thank you for your help....

ciao,
mecon

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> lso, you may have some hidden spywares that cause your problem. I am
> running XP with 15 to 20 autostart applications without problems.
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Mecon
> >
> > I run XP SP2, have 15 start-up entries and I do not have to boot three
> > times to get them all to work.. maybe you should look at what is running
> > in MSCONFIG and disable them all.. at each reboot, start one process, and
> > eventually, you will find out what is causing your problems.. guff
> >
> > --
> > Mike Hall
> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
[snip my guff]

Folks,
As promised, I seem to have fixed my problem for the time being.
Many thanks for your comments.

Thread should now be closed.

mecon